HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #24,796 of 25,574
Would the Mjolnir 3 drive the Susvara better than my TT2 though? 🤔
I see conflicting opinions — many say TT2 is going to be fine while others say it's garbage for Susvara.
That's my point. You won't find useful information here.
There are as many opinions as members in this topic...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #24,797 of 25,574
I see conflicting opinions — many say TT2 is going to be fine while others say it's garbage for Susvara.
There are always conflicting opinions in this hobby. It comes down to your ears and preferences in the end - hence my earlier advice.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #24,798 of 25,574
Double post but — if you do recommend a good DAC/Amp under $500 that can drive Susvara better than the TT2 alone (or possibly just an amp that sits in front of the TT2) please feel free to share.
I realize that you've already had some discouraging replies, but don't give up hope!!

I have the TT2, and the HP output won't be sufficient. I've not tried using an adapter on the XLR outputs, but it's got to be better. A lot of it depends on your listening levels.

I have the Jot. It will get you the volume, but lacks in finesse. It's only $400.

You should start by realizing whatever you get will be a temporary stepping stone. I suggest that you look into the used market, with the thought you will be selling it in the (hopefully) near future. Buying used means that you will take less of a hit when you go to resell it.

I'm currently using the GS-X Mini which works "pretty" well, but I can't wait to upgrade to the upcoming CFA3. hth

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #24,799 of 25,574
Don't over think it, use the TT2, it certainly won't be terrible, how you rate it is going to depend on your reference point, it's not going to be comparable to an 18K Riviera. But that shouldn't be a surprise.
Using it will also inform you what particular parts of the sound you want to address.
Then look around, and possibly wait until more funds are available.
I currently have a borrowed AIC-10 sitting next to my Egoista 845, lots of people swear the AIC-10 is among the best amps with the Susvara, I think it's really good, but given what I've heard so far I wouldn't take it over the Viva.
There is a lot of personal preference in this, and at lower price points a lot of compromises, you have to decide what's important to you.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #24,800 of 25,574

My experience is that MJ3 will run circles against TT2 headphone out when driving Susvara. That gets flipped with Focal headphones where TT2 easily outperforms the MJ3

Another comparison is that TT2 will outperform Jotunheim 2 and is on-par with $219 Schiit Midgard when driving the Susvara

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #24,801 of 25,574
TTT2 is a good DAC but inadequate amp based on the comments so far.

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #24,802 of 25,574
buy yourself a used CFA3,they show up here quite often...it drives the susvara beautifully with more than ample power for anything...you can probably grab a used model for say 2500 dollars and you are good to go...anything better is really subjective or perhaps tubes vs SS...the envy is phenomenal for more money though...as far as DAC's go they make a big difference but you can get a very good one for 3-4K and then you are good to go

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #24,803 of 25,574
buy yourself a used CFA3,they show up here quite often...it drives the susvara beautifully with more than ample power for anything...you can probably grab a used model for say 2500 dollars and you are good to go...anything better is really subjective or perhaps tubes vs SS...the envy is phenomenal for more money though...as far as DAC's go they make a big difference but you can get a very good one for 3-4K and then you are good to go
I might be selling my CFA3, because I think the WA33 EE JPS is better (and well it should be given the cost difference). The CFA3 is a great "cheap" amp. It really is great, just not as great as much more expensive amps

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #24,804 of 25,574
I might be selling my CFA3, because I think the WA33 EE JPS is better (and well it should be given the cost difference). The CFA3 is a great "cheap" amp. It really is great, just not as great as much more expensive amps
the more expensive amps you speak of are 5 or 6 times more expensive so they damn well better be better...my envy is better but that is in part a 300b tube thing....for the cost I know of nothing better than the CFA3 or as powerful and in truth assuming one doesnt have the option of spending clse to 20k for an amp the CFA3 is probably as good as it gets IMHO

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #24,805 of 25,574
the more expensive amps you speak of are 5 or 6 times more expensive so they damn well better be better...my envy is better but that is in part a 300b tube thing....for the cost I know of nothing better than the CFA3 or as powerful and in truth assuming one doesnt have the option of spending clse to 20k for an amp the CFA3 is probably as good as it gets IMHO
Agreed. And then you can put a 300B or 2A3 pre to it later and make it sound even better. The WA33 EE JPS or 3ES Elite as a pre to the CFA3 is a great combo, but of course it costs a ton more. Still even with the tube pre, I prefer a powerful tube amp solo over the CFA3. But, if you don't want to spend that kind of money, the CFA3 is probably the best cost/benefit ratio of any of the amps

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #24,808 of 25,574
People who are saying TT2 is fine most likely haven't heard how susvara can truly sound and think it's adequate. It's only by going up the amp and dac ladder higher and higher do you start to realise susvara basically scales like nothing else and I'm pretty Sure scales indefinitely. An oor and hypsos is a very good starting place to start. It's one of these headphones where on inadequate gear powering it to start off with you will think it's good but after you go through better amps you start to realise you were missing so much performance from what it can do really do.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #24,809 of 25,574
People who are saying TT2 is fine most likely haven't heard how susvara can truly sound and think it's adequate. It's only by going up the amp ladder higher and higher do you start to relealise susvara basically scales like nothing else and I'm pretty Sure scales indefinitely. An oor and hypsos is a very good starting place to start. It's one of these headphones where on inadequate gear powering it to start off with you will think it's good but after you go through better amps you start to realise you were missing so much performance from what it can do really do.

Totally agree with this after trying out the Sus out of multiple amps already. It can go from meh (TT2 HP out, Jotunheim 2, Topping A90D) to "not bad" (Schiit Midgard on Halo, Lyr+) to decently good (MJ3, OOR+Hypsos, DAVE HP out) to pretty good (Hifiman Prelude, Bliss, CFA3, ampsandsound Mogwai SE with stock tubes) and now to what Susvara can amazingly do (Zhal HM1, Envy Elrog/WE/Mo, WA23) to God tier (MK 465, WA33 Elite JPS, Egoista 845, EF1000, AIC-10) to unobtanium (Narukami)

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #24,810 of 25,574
Totally agree with this after trying out the Sus out of multiple amps already. It can go from meh (TT2 HP out, Jotunheim 2, Topping A90D) to "not bad" (Schiit Midgard on Halo, Lyr+) to decently good (MJ3, OOR+Hypsos, DAVE HP out) to pretty good (Hifiman Prelude, Bliss, CFA3, ampsandsound Mogwai SE with stock tubes) and now to what Susvara can amazingly do (Zhal HM1, Envy Elrog/WE/Mo, WA23) to God tier (MK 465, WA33 Elite JPS, Egoista 845, EF1000, AIC-10) to unobtanium (Narukami)
What about the Enleum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back