HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 2, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #23,191 of 25,647
You can objectively test that claim yourself by performing a controlled blind test (matching voltages and following an appropriate methodology, with help from other people).

If you can finally determine that DACs and amplifiers are not a solved technology in 2024 by doing so, then we can say that this claim is far from reality. :)
What does “solved problem” mean?

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #23,192 of 25,647
You can objectively test that claim yourself by performing a controlled blind test (matching voltages and following an appropriate methodology, with help from other people).

If you can finally determine that DACs and amplifiers are not a solved technology in 2024 by doing so, then we can say that this claim is far from reality. :)

No need. Marv from SBAF had already debunked that blind test volume matched with his Van Alestine ABX comparator blind testing an Topping E50 against Modius DAC. He was able to identify differences consistently 7/8 times multiple iterations
Solved problem = SINAD more than CD Dynamic rage tells him all DACs sound the same

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #23,193 of 25,647
No need. Marv from SBAF had already debunked that blind test volume matched with his Van Alestine ABX comparator blind testing an Topping E50 against Modius DAC. He was able to identify differences consistently 7/8 times multiple iterations

Solved problem = SINAD more than CD Dynamic rage tells him all DACs sound the same

May I ask what kind of differences?

A trained listener can hear differences in jitter, slight variations in distortion or compression artifacts of different codecs by paying close attention to specific segments of the song (particularly when focusing on the silences), but that does not translate into a different “musical presentation”.

This type of blind testing is ideally done with a clear methodology, using real music and with as many participants as possible, to avoid bias.

It means that there is now absolute transparency between the path that the original signal (music) follows to the playback in the headphones, thanks to the availability of DACs and amps that are audibly "perfect" for human ears between the chain, within the reach of all budgets.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #23,195 of 25,647
i am not seeing anything in this discussion that relates to the thread topic. the sound science forum is the appropriate place for this discussion and asr of course.

I agree and this is as far as my intervention goes, out of respect for the main topic of the thread.

On the other hand, it would be good if you would make the same recommendation not only when someone defends the objectivist position (as I am doing, to bring a little counterweight to the discussion), but when talking about ASR in general or attacking the objectivist position with weak arguments, as it has been done in the previous pages (and which also has nothing to do with positive Susvara talk).

No offense intended, simply to show equanimity on your part.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #23,196 of 25,647
May I ask what kind of differences?

A trained listener can hear differences in jitter, slight variations in distortion or compression artifacts of different codecs by paying close attention to specific segments of the song (particularly when focusing on the silences), but that does not translate into a different “musical presentation”.

This type of blind testing is ideally done with a clear methodology, using real music and with as many participants as possible, to avoid bias.
Not as familiar with the SBAF gang to know which username matches to Marv, but someone did a blind ABX test of two DACs there using that ABX comparator, both DACs matched to within 0.1 dB, and using real music signals listed in the post.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #23,197 of 25,647
Not as familiar with the SBAF gang to know which username matches to Marv, but someone did a blind ABX test of two DACs there using that ABX comparator, both DACs matched to within 0.1 dB, and using real music signals listed in the post.

We can continue this conversation in the sound science forum if there is legitimate interest, another atomicbob's findings have already been discussed there. :)

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #23,198 of 25,647
I agree and this is as far as my intervention goes, out of respect for the main topic of the thread.

On the other hand, it would be good if you would make the same recommendation not only when someone defends the objectivist position (as I am doing, to bring a little counterweight to the discussion), but when talking about ASR in general or attacking the objectivist position with weak arguments, as it has been done in the previous pages (and which also has nothing to do with positive Susvara talk).

No offense intended, simply to show equanimity on your part.
no offense taken, regardless of the last line of your post. rest assured that i am both calm and composed. i 'don't have a dog in this fight' and feel under no obligation to pick one. i visit this thread having auditioned the susvara twice and liking what i heard. i'd rather not come here and wade through off-topic posts containing well-worn arguments between objectivists and subjectivists. i can always visit the sound science forum here or asr if i want to subject myself to that.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #23,199 of 25,647
I'm making a trade with a great dealer, and will have the Danacables Nirvana coming with a new Sus 3.5mm. I can't wait to hear the Nirvanas, as I've always wanted to have them. I think they will be a good choice for the Sus. I'm focusing in on maximizing my Planar and Dynamic headphones, and I think this might be a great start. The Sus is probably the 2nd best planar you can buy, after the 1266 TCs of course.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #23,200 of 25,647
I'm making a trade with a great dealer, and will have the Danacables Nirvana coming with a new Sus 3.5mm. I can't wait to hear the Nirvanas, as I've always wanted to have them. I think they will be a good choice for the Sus. I'm focusing in on maximizing my Planar and Dynamic headphones, and I think this might be a great start. The Sus is probably the 2nd best planar you can buy, after the 1266 TCs of course.
Right choice with the Sus. You may want to get some adapters for your other headphones. The cable is that good.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #23,201 of 25,647
Right choice with the Sus. You may want to get some adapters for your other headphones. The cable is that good.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'd like to hear the Nirvanas with my TCs and other headphones. Danacables make great cables for headphones

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #23,202 of 25,647
and will have the Danacables Nirvana coming with a new Sus 3.5mm. I can't wait to hear the Nirvanas Susvara,

Fixed that for you :'D

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #23,203 of 25,647
Fixed that for you :'D
:beyersmile: I've had the 2.5mm Sus for a long time now. It's cool to upgrade to the 3.5mm, but I know there won't be a sound change. I just like newer things 🤷‍♂️

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #23,205 of 25,647
Ehhh, my Susvara was in a slightly bad "raw" condition.
I had to oil the squeeking holding mechanism on the side of a pad.
I had to rub it with furniture polish with beeswax three times a day for a week, the wood looked scratchy and very dry.
I had to do extremely hard burn-in for quite a lot of hours to get rid of the crackling noise that many reviewer also speak of when they got a brand new unit.

Honestly i was very happy when i got this all done, Hifiman can take their sweet time making the Sus 2. :beyersmile:
But of course i already had the newer 3.5mm version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back