HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #23,116 of 25,600
Minor techie question: Is there anything proprietary about Hifiman's 3.5mm headphone connectors for the Susvara?
No- I use the Focal Clear 3.5 mm stock cable connections and it works fine (not saying anything about SQ- just the functionality of the connection).

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #23,117 of 25,600
The Susvara is likely my next headphone purchase. I'm trying to decide whether it is a must to purchase open-box for warranty purposes. If I purchase used, so off the forum, and an issue with the headphone develops, what is the process to get it repaired. My only concern and hesitation with this headphone is build quality.
I bought used on eBay, past warranty period. A driver failed. Customer Service asked me for proof of purchase and sent me an entirely new unit (maybe refurbished). Charged me a price so low I won't mention it.
At the time, others on this thread echoed great C/S experiences.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #23,118 of 25,600
No- I use the Focal Clear 3.5 mm stock cable connections and it works fine (not saying anything about SQ- just the functionality of the connection).
Thank you, jlemaster. I can breathe easy, then.

Last week I ordered a Ricable Invictus cable (dual 3.5mm) for a new pair of headphones that I finally realized just did not do it for me, so I returned them. In their place I ordered the Susvara. The fact that an expensive cable I ordered prematurely will work fine with my Susvara is a Christmas miracle. Things are never this simple! LOL!

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #23,121 of 25,600
Minor techie question: Is there anything proprietary about Hifiman's 3.5mm headphone connectors for the Susvara?
The only thing to know is the 3.5 connectors (of all hifiman headphones/cables) are wired as TRS and not TRRS.

So works with focal 3.5mm connecting headphones.

and others can chime in here to correct or confirm:
sony, and some other brands may use trrs connectors instead of trs.
i think you can use trs cables with trrs headphones but not the other way around.
Pretty sure of this last paragraph but not 100%

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #23,122 of 25,600
The only thing to know is the 3.5 connectors (of all hifiman headphones/cables) are wired as TRS and not TRRS.

So works with focal 3.5mm connecting headphones.

and others can chime in here to correct or confirm:
sony, and some other brands may use trrs connectors instead of trs.
i think you can use trs cables with trrs headphones but not the other way around.
Pretty sure of this last paragraph but not 100%
That's a great point to bring up, Crow. Thank you.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #23,123 of 25,600
I bought used on eBay, past warranty period. A driver failed. Customer Service asked me for proof of purchase and sent me an entirely new unit (maybe refurbished). Charged me a price so low I won't mention it.
At the time, others on this thread echoed great C/S experiences.
Do you have pictures of the replacement unit? Or why do you think is refurbished?

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #23,124 of 25,600
Do you have pictures of the replacement unit? Or why do you think is refurbished?
I'll clarify. I have no reason to believe that the unit HFM sent me was refurbished - it looks and works fine. I was just making the point that I can't swear that it's new.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #23,125 of 25,600
Damn, what if I listen to small jazz band.... :frowning2: I don't want to listen them in a concert hall, then I need another headphone I guess, it's a pity
To my ears this is not true !
With the Susvara, in my system I can easily hear the difference between musicians playing in a concert hall, or small bar, or a big or small studio ! In fact it is the best headphone I have ever owned which shows clearly these different venues the musicians in bands, or small or large orchestras etc / singers etc. are playing in !

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #23,126 of 25,600
To my ears this is not true !
With the Susvara, in my system I can easily hear the difference between musicians playing in a concert hall, or small bar, or a big or small studio ! In fact it is the best headphone I have ever owned which shows clearly these different venues the musicians in bands, or small or large orchestras etc / singers etc. are playing in !

But previous guy said different :/ I don't know who is right:
They're built to make performers sound larger than life. If you want a headphone to sound like a concert hall, you're not going to have that ultra-damped, resonance-free sound that Amir wants; that's not what it was designed to sound like. Personally, I think you can only judge a thing based on what it was trying to do, not on what you want it to do.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #23,127 of 25,600
I walked into this hobby knowing I wanted to enjoy music on a higher level. Did not know I was going to experience my placebo on a higher level. When people I know, ask me what to listen for in a DAC/AMP/HEAPHONE, I tell them "your own curiosity"

Susvara does so many things, only a minority will appreciate or understand it. I totally understand those who sells it for their own reasons. I don´t feel special either because I appreciate this headphone.

The best thing about this journey is when you really find something that just works. No thoughts. Simply Music. The chain feels like "one"

The reason I love this hobby. Crafting the chain, to explore the curiosity. All the money spent is worth it!
A++ :beerchug: :L3000:

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #23,128 of 25,600
You should ! I offer it a good home because I have very bad tastes and my cat needs another headphone to chew on !
Lol :dt880smile:

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #23,130 of 25,600
I sent a cable for re-termination to hifiman 3.5mm headphone connectors. Upon return there was no sound whatsoever! I returned the cable, and upon receipt of the cable with another pair of 3.5mm connectors, it worked fine.

Edit: cannot be 100% sure they were different connectors. Could of been this TRRS wiring mentioned by thecrow above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back