HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #23,086 of 25,728
the harmen curve is just another subjective objective...some like it some dont like all products in audio....geez..I thought the susvara was perhaps the best HP or one of the 2 or 3 best for years before reading Amirs review, now I may just give it away lol
Obviously the inability to adhere to the Harman Target and play at 114dB indicates Susvara is just a piece of junk that is not worth your time! Might as well trade it for the chi fi IEMs, obviously they are just that much better, there is no room for debate.

Science has it, the Susvara is objectively bad, people who enjoys it obviously has no idea how to enjoy music, can’t believe it takes you that long to figure it out.

(This post is satire)

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #23,087 of 25,728
Obviously the inability to adhere to the Harman Target and play at 114dB indicates Susvara is just a piece of junk that is not worth your time! Might as well trade it for the chi fi IEMs, obviously they are just that much better, there is no room for debate.

Science has it, the Susvara is objectively bad, people who enjoys it obviously has no idea how to enjoy music, can’t believe it takes you that long to figure it out.

(This post is satire)
Trust The Science (tm)

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #23,090 of 25,728
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #23,092 of 25,728
Mass Quality Audio aka MQA is a solved problem since AC97, brosinhos.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #23,093 of 25,728
Trust the science
Source: Trustmebro

Listen to "da science." Dance to "da science"!
source-1.gif
\

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #23,094 of 25,728
That harman trend is garbage because DACs are not the same.

A lot of words crammed into. “Please don’t follow this trend you will thank me when you understand DACs”….

3CA4235B-376E-4AAB-9A55-AF0E20289424.jpeg
Can you explain the DAC thing ? If the DAC is transparent, I don't understand how it plays any role in harman research.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #23,095 of 25,728
English is not my native language and I don't usually browse English forums, but someone ask if I can post here so I registered a new account.

I have measured the Susvara with in-ear mic compensated to my HRTF from a pair of near-field monitor speakers, the result is nearly perfect, It has the flattest and smoothest frequency response I have ever seen, THD is under 0.3% from 300Hz which should be inaudible. The loudness used during the measurement was about 103dB at 1KHz, it's much louder than I usually listen, that means it's impossible to hear any harmonic distortion until I decied to become a deaf.

The GD(Phase Distortion) is also not a real issue if you understand how speakers work, Susvara is an openback headphone designed with minimal sound inhibition, objects around the speaker unit will cause reflections, which affects phase like speakers. If you've ever seen any GD measurement from speakers in a normal room, it's much messy than the Susvara. It's the reason why Susvara sound so open and real, unless you like the sound from anechoic chamber it's not an issue. It's possible to make the GD measurement look better by placing sound-absorbing materials around it, it's also possible to make the GD measurement look worse by doing the opposite.

The suggestion is learn to understand measurements if you care about them, artificial ears can't fully represent human HRTF, optimizing FR for GRAS or BK does not guarantee a good sound signature for real people, check the video Mr Dan Clark said he felt the Stealth doesn't sound real and tuned the E3 with his own ears. People who can afford the Susvara should be able to purchase an in-ear mic to verify it's performance in their own ears.

I don't have the permission to upload images, I can post my measurements later though they don't mean much to others.

These measurement results are taken with Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2 in-ear microphones.
Frequency response of the Susvara compensated to my HRTF (the FR from speakers measured with the same setup):
sus-1.jpg

Distortion of the Susvara:
sus-2.jpg

Group Delay of the Susvara:
sus-3.jpg

And here is the measurement of the Stax SR-X9000 in case you want to check what's the difference with the other TOTL.
Frequency Response of the X9000:
x9000-1.jpg

Distortion of the X9000:
x9000-2.jpg

Group Delay of the X9000:
x9000-3.jpg

If you do the measurements yourself it's likely to have different result because you have different ears (HRTF), different DAC and different AMP. These results are not very meaningful to others, but they were obtained from a real person, not from a measurement rig that attempts to simulate a real person.
To me, the Susvara is both subjectively and objectively excellent.
This is super valuable! ASR will never be "defeated" by calling them idiots or appealing to subjective impressions. Only by showing them measurements that are actually relevant, then they might concede a single sine sweep doesn't fully characterize the listening experience .

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #23,096 of 25,728
I'm surprised that the ASR review *still* dominates this thread.

To mis-quote Shakespeare: "Methinks WE doth protest too much."

Are we really so surprised that they panned the Susvara so badly?

Please, they don't deserve the time and energy we have devoted to them in this thread. Can we all just move on??

:deadhorse:

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #23,097 of 25,728

(This post is satire)
In this satirical spirit, my lame attempt at humor. (Luann comic 12/26/23 with my edit)
Luann Susvara edit.jpg

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #23,098 of 25,728
I'm surprised that the ASR review *still* dominates this thread.

To mis-quote Shakespeare: "Methinks WE doth protest too much."

Are we really so surprised that they panned the Susvara so badly?

Please, they don't deserve the time and energy we have devoted to them in this thread. Can we all just move on??

:deadhorse:
I agree. How many of them does have Susvara anyway? - They are complaining about something they don´t even listened to....

End of discussion...I also hope this kind of discussion continous at ASR website. Feel free to open a thread there or continous on there thread.

----

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #23,099 of 25,728
So, BACK to Susvara positive talk…

If you were showing off your Susvara to someone for the first time, what is a song or two that you would have them listen to?

This is a tough one, but two that come to mind are:

Daft Punk’s “Georgio by Morodor”
Jacob Collier’s cover of “Everything She Does is Magic”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back