HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #22,636 of 25,658
Hey, has anyone's Susvara develop a crackling sound when you take off headphones from your head? Or when the pads are together and you separate them? There is this terrible and loud crackling sound. I looked at the drivers while it was doing it, and it looks like the drivers are flexing... These were a brand new set of headphones. Is this normal? Is it defective?
Recently got a susvara, also getting this effect. Can anyone else with a susvara see if they get the same thing? Happens when pressing the pads down against the face, and then quickly lifting. Also happens when pressing pads together and pulling apart quickly. Crackling sound is consistent. Doesn't seem to be affecting the sound, but it is concerning. Can't get this happen on my lcd-5.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #22,637 of 25,658
Recently got a susvara, also getting this effect. Can anyone else with a susvara see if they get the same thing? Happens when pressing the pads down against the face, and then quickly lifting. Also happens when pressing pads together and pulling apart quickly. Crackling sound is consistent. Doesn't seem to be affecting the sound, but it is concerning. Can't get this happen on my lcd-5.
Your diagrpham is too loose, get it repaired. It didn't get this bad on my unit, only a metallic ringing. It was enough for me to get to RMA'ed, I'm receiving it back this week :)

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #22,638 of 25,658
I think the ENLUEM 23R is a better all around SS amp for Susvara but in what areas is the EF1000 “superior” to the Envy? Was the Envy compared to EF 1000 with upgraded tubes (Elrog MO etc)? Areas of comparison : 1. Expansiveness of sound stage 2. Lingering tail of notes and reverberations. 3. Blackness of background. 4. micro-detail of treble without sibilance 4. Bass response speed and clarity/punch 5. Presence of sub bass. Etc etc

I just really think that beating the 23R with pure tube amplification on the macrodynamics side is already hard (unless you prefer a very tiny bit of roundness in the initial attack). I still think the direct upgrade to the 23R will be the Riviera paired with a very resolving, neutral and incredibly spacious sounding, DAC such as the Wavedream Signature XLR or the TotalDAC triunity with the live power upgrades or the MSB Reference DAC with power upgrades

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #22,639 of 25,658
I just really think that beating the 23R with pure tube amplification on the macrodynamics side is already hard (unless you prefer a very tiny bit of roundness in the initial attack). I still think the direct upgrade to the 23R will be the Riviera paired with a very resolving, neutral and incredibly spacious sounding, DAC such as the Wavedream Signature XLR or the TotalDAC triunity with the live power upgrades or the MSB Reference DAC with power upgrades
What do you think of the Play back design mpd-8 dac? Do you think that would pair well with the riviera?

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #22,640 of 25,658
What do you think of the Play back design mpd-8 dac? Do you think that would pair well with the riviera?

I haven't heard the MPD-8 DAC unfortunately. Riviera is already leaning on musical rather than the neutral incisive side and as such a neutral incisive DAC to me would be the best way to go.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #22,641 of 25,658
What about the CHORD DAVE and Upscaler with Riviera?

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #22,642 of 25,658
What about the CHORD DAVE and Upscaler with Riviera?

It will definitely sound great! I find it pairing really well with the Envy to my personal preference while the Rockna or TotalDAC with with the Riviera yields similar tonal balance but the latter is more grandiose sounding (slightly larger soundstage) to me than the former. Wavedream on most amps is already very expansive sounding while TotalDAC, I haven't heard it on many different amps (only on the Riviera once). DAVE / Blu 2 has more vertical height than the Wavedream so it's really a toss-up between presentations for me. You can't go wrong with those DACs as long as you pair a neutral incisive DAC to the Riviera

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #22,643 of 25,658
It will definitely sound great! I find it pairing really well with the Envy to my personal preference while the Rockna or TotalDAC with with the Riviera yields similar tonal balance but the latter is more grandiose sounding (slightly larger soundstage) to me than the former. Wavedream on most amps is already very expansive sounding while TotalDAC, I haven't heard it on many different amps (only on the Riviera once). DAVE / Blu 2 has more vertical height than the Wavedream so it's really a toss-up between presentations for me. You can't go wrong with those DACs as long as you pair a neutral incisive DAC to the Riviera
Being a fundamentally none OS DAC, the TotalDAC sounds quite different to the Dave or Wavedream.

The TotalDAC is significantly more to my preference, works well with at least the WA33, Viva Egoista 845, EC Studio T (though I wouldn't pick this for a Susvara)
Dave has surprisingly good Synergy with the WA33, but I'd personally still go with the totalDAC.
A lot of preference here though, Dave will carry more "Air", TotalDAC is a hair more relaxed, but while I hate to use the term PRAT, to me carries the music better.
I've spent very little time with the Riviera, so I can't comment.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #22,644 of 25,658
On a diiferent note than the endless amp dac pairing, no offense, but could anyone pitch in on a comparison between Yamaha YH-5000SE VS Susvara, are they a contender, anyone who have listened to them side by side?

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #22,645 of 25,658
Oh, that one. Oh boy, after hearing THAT i completely lost all interest, it sounded awful to my ears. It reminds me of the Empy (original) - veiled. Female vocals? So distant and boring. Male vocals? They get lost in the background. The guitars and drums at the end? Like someone sucked the life out of it, totally unengaging. Pro: Soundstage and a very relaxing sound i guess, but the drawback is huge. In my opinion absolutely no contest to Susvara & co.

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #22,646 of 25,658
i didn't know what to make of the yh-5000se's sound signature when i auditioned it and haven't felt inclined to revisit it. the susvara on the other hand left an indelible impression and i'll be returning for a third audition in the near future.

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #22,647 of 25,658
I think in the end it comes to personal preference, I think the EF1000 sounds more solid state, where the Envy gets you more musical, organic, holographic soundstage this is what I am experiencing, I used Solid State Amps with the Susvara and I wasn’t impressed with the soundstage and imaging and the midrange is magical with the 300b tubes, it was more in my head then outside experience. With the Envy it just opened up.
The EF1000 doesn't sound solid state at all....quite the opposite.
The EF1000 is very musical.], organic with a holographic sound etc. where such sound characterstics are in the recording in the first place !

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #22,648 of 25,658
So between the Envy and EF1000 which has the largest sound stage and clear placement of instruments?
For me easily the EF1000 with the Susvara

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #22,649 of 25,658
My Chord Blu (with in-built M Scaler) and DAVE are a great synergistic match with my EF1000 & Susvara.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #22,650 of 25,658
Hello guys,

I received my Susvara back from repair. I sent it with the beautiful hard box and all accessories as asked by hifiman.

I received it in this poor cardboard box that looks like a HE6SE.
At least that's the newest cables.

Does the latest Hifiman Susvara shipped like this now ?

Repaired Susvara but downgrade all my accessories, that's weird.

Maybe that's how refurbished Susvara are sent ?

IMG-20231118-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back