HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #22,456 of 26,272
Cables also have electromagnetic properties and are incredibly sensitive to IEMs more so than headphones. While the basic concept of electrical engineering do not explain its predictive effects on a very small scale (just millivolt differences between cables when music gets complex), our ears are sensitive enough to hear those traits.
I am honestly of the belief that there is some other difference that the cables make that we simply can't measure. Just like how no graph can measure the "detail" of a headphone, there is something else that we don't simply understand that changes how it sounds.

In the end I have to go by ear to judge a cable, and just like trying a headphone on multiple chains, it's best to try a cable on multiple headphones. But also the value proposition for high end cables is really not there... but obsessed audiophiles we are

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #22,458 of 26,272
Picked up a Susvara from Audiobarn today, was listening to it on a Feliks Audio Envy and it sounded superb, hard to fault really.

I myself own a Holo stack and will put it through its paces later on today, hopefully it will be a good match for the Sus.

Whilst there I got to try the new Yamaha YH5000SE and I have to say I was seriously impressed by these, if they are placed to compete with the likes of the Susvara at that price tier then they more than hold their own and are far easier to drive.
i auditioned the susvara and the yh5000se but only one of them compelled me to return for another audition

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #22,463 of 26,272
biggest strengths and weaknesses
Most natural headphone that exists (maybe short of HE-1 and Shangri-La Sr), detail monster that isn't forcing anything, lush, musical, always enjoyable. | Extremely hard to get the most out of it (esp. in terms of bass and dynamics), you might prefer other more aggressive sound signatures for certain genres.
what other types of open headphones are closest to the tuning and technicality of the susvara?
HEKSE, HEKv2 (Stealth variants?) probably.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #22,464 of 26,272
Most natural headphone that exists (maybe short of HE-1 and Shangri-La Sr), detail monster that isn't forcing anything, lush, musical, always enjoyable. | Extremely hard to get the most out of it (esp. in terms of bass and dynamics), you might prefer other more aggressive sound signatures for certain genres.

A pretty accurate and concise summary.

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #22,465 of 26,272

100% on the sound description. The bass is easier to achieve than the dynamics part especially on tight budget upstream components. Susvara does not suck in sound on a 1K or less total (sum of) budget components but it's just as picky as any other TOTL headphone. Just don't ever let your ears hear the Susvara on top components. Ignorance is a bliss is very literal with this headphone

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #22,468 of 26,272
musician audio Aquarius dac and violectric dha v590 mk2 how about susvara? how much weaker are hekse and hekv2 than susvara?

I predict that HEKse will trade blows with Susvara, making Susvara a side-grade with those components. I still take the Susvara for its more musical tonality though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back