HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #21,931 of 25,631
Dual-wielding AHB2's for the Susvara here. Even though from a power perspective, this is overkill for headphones of any kind, it doesn't sound exaggerated in any way, but rather, just extra-composed and refined.

The bridged mono configuration brings out extra depth and separation, and makes the treble (which is one of the AHB2's greatest strengths) simultaneously extra detailed and extra smooth. I know John Siau consistently claims that that his product in bridged mono does absolutely nothing for sound quality, but that's not been my experience. For speakers (which is the main reason why I use bridged mono), the benefits are more apparent still. But anyway.

The AHB2 is a little bit too intense for the Utopia or the Atrium, though, can't lie (yea, I know, living on the edge 🤣). It does alright for the Verite Closed.

My experience with the Bakoon R13 with the Susvara line up with previous comments about the Enleum R23. I found it to be too polite and very, very finicky about bringing out the Susvara's bass, which nullified the potential subjective benefits from its slightly warm-tilted tonality. Also worth mentioning is that the AHB2's signature is also on the smooth-and-polite side, I think.

I also wanted to mention that I've recently started using the Lazuli Reference Plus with the Susvara (by using an AffinityAdapters adapter) and would highly recommend. It brings out sub-bass better than probably any cable I've tried, which makes the inconvience of its physical qualities almost worth the bother.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #21,932 of 25,631
Dual-wielding AHB2's for the Susvara here. Even though from a power perspective, this is overkill for headphones of any kind, it doesn't sound exaggerated in any way, but rather, just extra-composed and refined.

The bridged mono configuration brings out extra depth and separation, and makes the treble (which is one of the AHB2's greatest strengths) simultaneously extra detailed and extra smooth. I know John Siau consistently claims that that his product in bridged mono does absolutely nothing for sound quality, but that's not been my experience. For speakers (which is the main reason why I use bridged mono), the benefits are more apparent still. But anyway.

The AHB2 is a little bit too intense for the Utopia or the Atrium, though, can't lie (yea, I know, living on the edge 🤣). It does alright for the Verite Closed.

My experience with the Bakoon R13 with the Susvara line up with previous comments about the Enleum R23. I found it to be too polite and very, very finicky about bringing out the Susvara's bass, which nullified the potential subjective benefits from its slightly warm-tilted tonality. Also worth mentioning is that the AHB2's signature is also on the smooth-and-polite side, I think.

I also wanted to mention that I've recently started using the Lazuli Reference Plus with the Susvara (by using an AffinityAdapters adapter) and would highly recommend. It brings out sub-bass better than probably any cable I've tried, which makes the inconvience of its physical qualities almost worth the bother.
Nice, you ended up going dual mono :) ... I always wanted to try that combo. I honestly would be a little scared of so much power. Which gain setting are you usin? Even with the single AHB2 I was a bit scared it was going to switch to full blast. :/

I would love to hear a comparison to the Envy ...

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #21,933 of 25,631
I have used Susvara as a daily driver extensively with WA33, CFA3, Nautilus and AHB2. I also have Utopia OG. Utopia definitely feel punchier and more intimate than Susvara. I don't think you can mold Susvara into exact Utopia's sound. But that's not the end of the story. I brought Susvara to canjam and tried them through Envy, Lina, WA23, HA-300B MK2, 23r. Keep in mind tough, at the show, these all powered by different dacs. To my taste, 23r was too warm and too relaxed, and the details didn't come through as much as the other amps. Susvara weren't particularly punchy headphones but 23r really didn't help in that apartment. But I can understand some people like how 23r tames Susvara's bright signature.

I feel Envy, Lina, WA23, WA33 all perform better than 23r if you want detail and bass. But if you want the "wow" factor I recommend AHB2. Susvara + WA33 was very good to me, but Susvara + WA33 (preamp) + AHB2 really released Susvara in a way that's similar to going from computer jack to a proper amp. If Susvara feel limpy to you, I recommend this. I have yet tried any other speaker amps, and I bet EF1000 is darn good too. Also haven't tried Bliss, but some reported it's better than AHB2 so I'm pretty curious.
I think it was more of a shock coming from the Utopia straight to a brand new Susvara. Sounds better today than it did yesterday. Only 15 hours in, 135 hours to go for recommended burn in. The bass from the 23r on the Susvara is full and present. I feel the bass from the Susvara much more than on the Utopia. In my system the Susvara is noticeably more detailed than the Utopia, I'm not looking for more. I think I'll ride it out in my chain for a few weeks and see how it settles in. I haven't reached for the Utopia's at all today, so that's a good sign. I don't think it's too warm, but that could be due to my cabling and power conditioning. Sounds transparent and airy up top with a mid range that seems to be filling out either due to burn in or possibly brain burn in. If I had my 23r connected straight to the wall, yeah, that might make it too warm for me.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #21,934 of 25,631
New office setup. Had to bring my Dave down under desk to save space :/ ...

I got a new LG C2 42". Connected a PS5 to it. Would like a small dac/amp that takes up limited desk space as I like a more minimal look to connected to the optical out of the TV so I can game with the Susvara's. It is too much hassle to switch optical cables every time I want to try out a game.

Ideas? IFI Pro Signature?

Attachments

• IMG-0978.JPG
    IMG-0978.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #21,935 of 25,631
New office setup. Had to bring my Dave down under desk to save space :/ ...

I got a new LG C2 42". Connected a PS5 to it. Would like a small dac/amp that takes up limited desk space as I like a more minimal look to connected to the optical out of the TV so I can game with the Susvara's. It is too much hassle to switch optical cables every time I want to try out a game.

Ideas? IFI Pro Signature?
Ferrum Wandla could fit your needs. I think it's small enough and been getting a couple of rave reviews as well. If you still have the space, perhaps go for Wandla + Hypsos.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #21,936 of 25,631
Nice, you ended up going dual mono :) ... I always wanted to try that combo. I honestly would be a little scared of so much power. Which gain setting are you usin? Even with the single AHB2 I was a bit scared it was going to switch to full blast. :/
Hehe, thanks. I use medium gain on the amps. Compared to using a single amp, bridged mono increases the output by 6dB (even though its power rating increases from 100 watts to 380 watts, lol). And I set the DAC to output at 6 volts. With the Susvara, I set the Bartok's digital volume control between -25dB and -15dB, which, all things considered, is I think pretty decent (ie, not overly attenuated in the digital domain).

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #21,937 of 25,631

I would love to hear a comparison to the Envy ...
I heard Envy at the canjam (show conditions and all) and my impression is it performs roughly on the same level as WA33. Maybe different coloring but just talking about separation, punch, details, I feel they are not too far apart. Don't remember what tubes were used. AHB2 turns it up to 11 in those departments. But I wonder what was your experience with AHB2?

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #21,938 of 25,631
Hehe, thanks. I use medium gain on the amps. Compared to using a single amp, bridged mono increases the output by 6dB (even though its power rating increases from 100 watts to 380 watts, lol). And I set the DAC to output at 6 volts. With the Susvara, I set the Bartok's digital volume control between -25dB and -15dB, which, all things considered, is I think pretty decent (ie, not overly attenuated in the digital domain).
I was concerned with frying the susvara too when I first connected them to AHB2. But it actually felt very controlled. I can go like 30-40% of the volume knob on WA33 in pre mode for normal listening level.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #21,939 of 25,631

I agree, I use the Danacable Lazuli Nirvana with my Susvaras. I also have the Lazuli Ultra and now the Lazuli Rhapsody. I love the hybrid cables. You get the best of both worlds. If anyone interested I might be putting my Lazuli Ultra up for sale since I now travel with my new Lazuli Rhapsody instead of the Ultra. All you need is one cable and use adapters made by Double Helix or Affinity Adapters from eBay. They are both high quality and work great. I did opt for the ones from Double Helix.

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #21,941 of 25,631
I heard Envy at the canjam (show conditions and all) and my impression is it performs roughly on the same level as WA33. Maybe different coloring but just talking about separation, punch, details, I feel they are not too far apart. Don't remember what tubes were used. AHB2 turns it up to 11 in those departments. But I wonder what was your experience with AHB2?
I unfortunately can only use memory when comparing the Envy to the AHB2 but I never heard the susvara sound so good with the Envy. I am using TOTL power and driver tubs. I think they make a significant difference. I am rocking Elrog TM300B with Telefunken G73R.

I remember I always felt the Susvara was lacking just a bit of bass presence with the AHB2. I never feel this with my current setup. Also, I used to be in the solid state camp and trying to find the lowest distortion chain possible but after switching to tubes I think it adds another dimension. Much more emotive. You can get tubes that are very linear and give you the solid state feel but with increased decay, micro details etc.

Since I got the Envy it has been the only time I have been 100% content with the Susvara. With other amp combos I always wanted a bit of something else. Susvara is an amazing headphone. I went all in to try and extract the most from the drivers and very content with the outcome.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #21,942 of 25,631
So, I have a Susvara connected to a 23R connected to a Holo May Kte, am I missing something? Does a Susvara need better headphone cables in order to unlock the magic? Because right now it really feels underwhelming. I normally listen to the Utopia and I feel there is something missing with the Susvara, maybe the engagement factor? I am listening to the Susvara's with stock cables, so that might be it though...
Susvara is very transparent in that if you change cables or interconnects you should hear a difference. So yes get better cables.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #21,943 of 25,631
Chain: Puritan PSM1512, PC with PCIe USB controller, Matrix X-SPDIF 2, Chord Dave + Farad 3 w/ Furutech Inlets & SR Purple fuses, Feliks Envy w/ SR Purple fuses

*Any ideas where I can improve my chain? Source? Open for ideas ... plan to keep DAC and AMP ...

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #21,944 of 25,631
I unfortunately can only use memory when comparing the Envy to the AHB2 but I never heard the susvara sound so good with the Envy. I am using TOTL power and driver tubs. I think they make a significant difference. I am rocking Elrog TM300B with Telefunken G73R.

I remember I always felt the Susvara was lacking just a bit of bass presence with the AHB2. I never feel this with my current setup. Also, I used to be in the solid state camp and trying to find the lowest distortion chain possible but after switching to tubes I think it adds another dimension. Much more emotive. You can get tubes that are very linear and give you the solid state feel but with increased decay, micro details etc.

Since I got the Envy it has been the only time I have been 100% content with the Susvara. With other amp combos I always wanted a bit of something else. Susvara is an amazing headphone. I went all in to try and extract the most from the drivers and very content with the outcome.
"I remember I always felt the Susvara was lacking just a bit of bass presence with the AHB2."
Yup. Same here when I had that amp. Bass was anemic. Too thin sounding. It had no weight, no oomph.
Tight though. Very tight, fast bass.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #21,945 of 25,631
Random:

Never tried any other cables on my Susvara than the stock cables.
DB17D268-D7D8-47F4-BDC9-20127C3257C2.jpg

It hit me after a reply on my post in this forum, that HiFiMans makes there DACs R2R. Could it be all the people saying HiFiMan headphones sound thin have all Delta-Sigma DACs?

I just started burnin the FAW Claire HPC Hybrid with Rhodium Furutechs. The lowend is for real! - Feels like a new headphone on another level! @Matez Thank YOU! :pray:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back