HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #21,946 of 25,924
Chain: Puritan PSM1512, PC with PCIe USB controller, Matrix X-SPDIF 2, Chord Dave + Farad 3 w/ Furutech Inlets & SR Purple fuses, Feliks Envy w/ SR Purple fuses

*Any ideas where I can improve my chain? Source? Open for ideas ... plan to keep DAC and AMP ...
Definitely would start with source before anything else, I think you can improve from the Dave and Envy each on their own and potentially also find more synergistic systems (never heard the combo so maybe this one is amazing) but if I had to guess where there might be a bottleneck it would be the PC and Matrix side.

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #21,947 of 25,924
"I remember I always felt the Susvara was lacking just a bit of bass presence with the AHB2."
Yup. Same here when I had that amp. Bass was anemic. Too thin sounding. It had no weight, no oomph.
Tight though. Very tight, fast bass.
Yes, I remember that amp was incredibly fast. That was my favorite part. :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #21,949 of 25,924
@JTbbb @orrman

Any ideas for source? I like using my PC with Qobuz.

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #21,951 of 25,924
@JTbbb @orrman

Any ideas for source? I like using my PC with Qobuz.
Like with anything in this hobby, all depends on your appetite and wallet. Happy to move this to DMs for some ideas. Supporting Qobuz is a little trickier if you don't use Roon or Squeeze and still want to step away from the PC.
Susvara, as we all know, is very revealing of what it's fed. Your DAC and Amp are in that same camp, how much you want to invest in what's delivered to your amp is totally up to you! Can also climb the ladder nice and slow, the market has many more options than it used to.

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #21,952 of 25,924
Susvara is very transparent in that if you change cables or interconnects you should hear a difference. So yes get better cables.
I think my interconnects are decent enough, Neotech Sahara rca's. All my cables are boutique cables besides the headphone cable itself.
Yeah, swapped back to the Utopia's to see what I was missing, and the Utopia still sounds better(to me) in my system. The Susvara sounds slightly flat and uni-dimensional compared to the Utopia. The Susvara is the technically superior headphone. The susvara has a wider more spacious sound, more detailed (only slightly more), more tonally accurate( just slightly more), but the Utopia pulls me into the music more, the Susvara does not. It's probably my chain. The Utopia's just sound fuller, more dynamic, has more soul. Thinking about reselling the almost brand new set of Susvara's... I don't think I have the correct signal chain for it, but it's perfect for the Utopia's.

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #21,953 of 25,924
Chain: Puritan PSM1512, PC with PCIe USB controller, Matrix X-SPDIF 2, Chord Dave + Farad 3 w/ Furutech Inlets & SR Purple fuses, Feliks Envy w/ SR Purple fuses

*Any ideas where I can improve my chain? Source? Open for ideas ... plan to keep DAC and AMP ...
The Matrix x-spdif 2 could be swapped out. I use to have that in my chain. It really bottle necked my system.

I also use a pc to stream qobuz and audirvana.

My chain: PS Audio Power Plant Stellar 3(orange fuse)/Puritan PSM156(ultimate cable) -> PC with Jcat usb xe/ethernet xe cards (jcat/fidelizer lps) -> aq diamond usb -> holo may kte (zen wave PL11 pc)-> Neotech rca interconnect, Enleum 23R(sr purple fuse)(nep3200 pc)

Ferrum hypsos lps(nep3200 pc) -> uptone etherregen ->jcat ethernet card xe

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #21,954 of 25,924
The Utopia's just sound fuller, more dynamic, has more soul.

The Utopia is a really underrated headphone, IMO pretty much defined by it's dynamics. Mine probably gets as much listening time as the Susvara's do, albeit on a very different source chain, and if push came to shove as much as I think the Susvara is the better headphone I might even keep the Utopia over the Susvara, but that's more a combination of things in my setups, the Susvara only plays well with one of my two setups.
They are just very different sounding headphones that need very different things from their sources.

The Susvara is a headphone some people seem to struggle to get, it's not a headphone I had that issue with, though I have with others I've ended up liking, but I do see it commonly reported.

I'd give them a week or three to see if they grow on you, but if you like where you are, I wouldn't start rebuilding your system around the Susvara just because other people like them.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #21,955 of 25,924
The Utopia is a really underrated headphone, IMO pretty much defined by it's dynamics. Mine probably gets as much listening time as the Susvara's do, albeit on a very different source chain, and if push came to shove as much as I think the Susvara is the better headphone I might even keep the Utopia over the Susvara, but that's more a combination of things in my setups, the Susvara only plays well with one of my two setups.
They are just very different sounding headphones that need very different things from their sources.

The Susvara is a headphone some people seem to struggle to get, it's not a headphone I had that issue with, though I have with others I've ended up liking, but I do see it commonly reported.

I'd give them a week or three to see if they grow on you, but if you like where you are, I wouldn't start rebuilding your system around the Susvara just because other people like them.
Yeah, I'm on the fence on whether to spend the funds from reselling a brand new set of susvaras, on another pair of OG utopia's (just in case my first pair breaks), the 2022 utopia, or danacable nirvana for the Utopia's. It really is a shame how underrated the Utopia's are(it's good for me since I can just buy a brand new set for relatively "cheap"). I think Sajid really hit the nail on the head with his Utopia video.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #21,956 of 25,924
Yeah, I'm on the fence on whether to spend the funds from reselling a brand new set of susvaras, on another pair of OG utopia's (just in case my first pair breaks), the 2022 utopia, or danacable nirvana for the Utopia's. It really is a shame how underrated the Utopia's are(it's good for me since I can just buy a brand new set for relatively "cheap"). I think Sajid really hit the nail on the head with his Utopia video.
If those were my options, I'd be grabbing the Utopia 2022. Just my two cents.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #21,957 of 25,924
I unfortunately can only use memory when comparing the Envy to the AHB2 but I never heard the susvara sound so good with the Envy. I am using TOTL power and driver tubs. I think they make a significant difference. I am rocking Elrog TM300B with Telefunken G73R.

I remember I always felt the Susvara was lacking just a bit of bass presence with the AHB2. I never feel this with my current setup. Also, I used to be in the solid state camp and trying to find the lowest distortion chain possible but after switching to tubes I think it adds another dimension. Much more emotive. You can get tubes that are very linear and give you the solid state feel but with increased decay, micro details etc.

Since I got the Envy it has been the only time I have been 100% content with the Susvara. With other amp combos I always wanted a bit of something else. Susvara is an amazing headphone. I went all in to try and extract the most from the drivers and very content with the outcome.
"I remember I always felt the Susvara was lacking just a bit of bass presence with the AHB2."
Yup. Same here when I had that amp. Bass was anemic. Too thin sounding. It had no weight, no oomph.
Tight though. Very tight, fast bass.
Thanks for sharing! This is the thing, I don't know if WA33 was actually the magic in the chain. I never tried AHB2 on another preamp. But from the way it amplifies the original WA33, I'm pretty convinced it doesn't add/change color, and I can certainly see AHB2 making a chain sterile or bass lacking. My strategy is to keep AHB2 and try different source/preamp. I have a Primaluna Evo 400 preamp which should arrive today. It'll be exciting to see how it fares against WA33.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #21,958 of 25,924
Thanks for sharing! This is the thing, I don't know if WA33 was actually the magic in the chain. I never tried AHB2 on another preamp. But from the way it amplifies the original WA33, I'm pretty convinced it doesn't add/change color, and I can certainly see AHB2 making a chain sterile or bass lacking. My strategy is to keep AHB2 and try different source/preamp. I have a Primaluna Evo 400 preamp which should arrive today. It'll be exciting to see how it fares against WA33.
When I add a 2 CH in my system I plan to get the mono dual ABH2. They are very transparent. With the tiniest amount of smoothing. Extremely neutral. I want the tube pre-amp to imbide the coloration ... etc

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #21,959 of 25,924
If you have a chain you're really happy with Utopia OG on it, I wouldn't start rebuilding around Susvara. Synergy with Utopia is imo just as hard to nail right as Sus is but can be achieved for much much cheaper than a TOTL Sus chain would end up costing.
I never had both the OG and 22 at the same time here, but I owned both and I'm guessing a very good OG focused chain wouldn't neccesarily be perfect for the 22. It would depend on your preferences and how warm your current chain might be (with OG might be perfect and than with 22 might be too much).
Personally I wouldn't trade a headphone for a cable but there are other good options to try out that can be very interesting if you haven't already. The first that comes to mind is Final D8000 Pro (or the Pro Limited Edition).

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #21,960 of 25,924
When I add a 2 CH in my system I plan to get the mono dual ABH2. They are very transparent. With the tiniest amount of smoothing. Extremely neutral. I want the tube pre-amp to imbide the coloration ... etc
I can see what you mean by the "smoothing". WA33 + AHB2 makes susvara sound very much like speakers; it just removes that bit of "grain" which I can hear with WA33 alone. Plus the wide soundstage. Only time I heard something similar is on LCD-5 on wells audio headtrip 2 level 2 mono blocks.

I once tried many high end amps together, and it was very clear non-tube amps sounded boring to me. Tubes are a must to me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back