HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #21,796 of 25,604
I think that's a fair enough complaint. I wonder if they simply don't have any more 2.5mm versions and your last replacement was the last since they don't manufacture them like that any more.

Customer service does seem OK from them so hopefully they'll help you out.

Ha, that would be unlucky but more understandable. I'm hoping they can find some kind of solution since I've heard decent things from their customer service...

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #21,797 of 25,604

Note that the left channel is not completely flush. And that results in the sound not coming through at all, unless I grab the connector and gently pull it inwards. the cable connectors are completely straight and not bent. I've tried with 4 different cables, all with the same result.
Thanks for the photo. I suspect the jack may be bent internally based on your description. If I were you, I'd give HIFIMAN the option of either fixing the replacement they sent you (and covering shipping costs), or sending you a new 3.5mm Susvara (with matching stock cables). The stock cables would allow you to listen to the 3.5mm headphone until you got your preferred cable(s) re-terminated, which shouldn't be that expensive. I'd be inclined to exchange for a new 3.5mm Susvara now, as that would facilitate service/replacement down the line. It's probably not reasonable to expect HIFIMAN to pay for re-termination of your existing aftermarket cable(s), IMO. Best of luck getting the situation resolved.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #21,798 of 25,604
Thanks for the photo. I suspect the jack may be bent internally based on your description. If I were you, I'd give HIFIMAN the option of either fixing the replacement they sent you (and covering shipping costs), or sending you a new 3.5mm Susvara (with matching stock cables). The stock cables would allow you to listen to the 3.5mm headphone until you got your preferred cable(s) re-terminated, which shouldn't be that expensive. I'd be inclined to exchange for a new 3.5mm Susvara now, as that would facilitate service/replacement down the line. It's probably not reasonable to expect HIFIMAN to pay for re-termination of your existing aftermarket cable(s), IMO. Best of luck getting the situation resolved.

Thank you for your input. I do agree that it is unreasonable for them to pay for re-terminating my current cables, I'm looking into the different options and hopefully can come to some sort of resolution with them soon.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #21,799 of 25,604
It is indeed a crazy hobby 😁 on my system, the filters make both CA1a and SR1a sound even much more natural and effortless. It's the opposite of what they did on your system 😁 So yeah I guess at the end of the day it's down to preferences. I've said from the beginning that the ribbon duo has the most natural and life-like timbre & tonality (though others might not agree) and it seems that's also the case with you 👍🏼 enjoy!!
You are spot on, Normie. The ribbons especially seem to be the cream of the crop for timbre and tonality (at least they are for me). As for the filters, I'm going to try using HQPlayer with the filters and that should change things considerably. My franken-source has 52 cores, so I'll try pinning some to HQPlayer processing w/Mitch's filters. I many also try offloading HQPlayer to another machine all together as that would likely yield the best SQ.

If you haven't heard, this can be boiled down to the differentiators being 300B vs non. In the case of non, the VM uses EL34, which strikes a fair balance without really addressing vocal centric-sweetening and timbral-richening.
I can't wait to hear this friggin amp lol.
I'm willing to bet there is a bridge with the EF1000 being hybrid that doesn't impart itself upon enough.
100% correct. The tubes on the EF1000 are implemented at the input stage then bridged over to the SS at the output stage. Reminds me a bit of the I/O architecture on the WA33 with far less tube-y goodness, but with ridiculously more power. This thing drives moderately power-hungry speakers (FR30s, Dunlevy SC-IV's, etc.) with tremendous ease and control. WIth headphones, I can't listen to NewTopias above the second volume dot or they get way too loud. If I didn't have speakers and if drums didn't sound so d@mn good with the SRs, I might consider selling it, but I would almost certainly regret doing so in the long run. It reminds me of an uglier, overpriced, hotter running, yet equally versatile CFA3.

The CA1a is wonky without filters and takes some smooches to even things out.
Oh yeah - they definitely need smooches. I'm going to try everything I can to use Mitch's filters with a cleaner DSP implementation. Roon's engine just isn't cutting it, which really isn't all that surprising.
Elrog love is revelatory.
This will definitely happen, it's a question of when. Apparently, my VM-1a will be arriving sooner than expected so I best get ready. I just reached out to the folks at Elrog for a tube set recommendation for the VM-1a. In my limited experience with tubes, 300Bs seem to yield some of the best possible SQ, but the cost is nutty.

Appreciate the tube recommendation btw.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #21,800 of 25,604
You are spot on, Normie. The ribbons especially seem to be the cream of the crop for timbre and tonality (at least they are for me). As for the filters, I'm going to try using HQPlayer with the filters and that should change things considerably. My franken-source has 52 cores, so I'll try pinning some to HQPlayer processing w/Mitch's filters. I many also try offloading HQPlayer to another machine all together as that would likely yield the best SQ.

I can't wait to hear this friggin amp lol.

100% correct. The tubes on the EF1000 are implemented at the input stage then bridged over to the SS at the output stage. Reminds me a bit of the I/O architecture on the WA33 with far less tube-y goodness, but with ridiculously more power. This thing drives moderately power-hungry speakers (FR30s, Dunlevy SC-IV's, etc.) with tremendous ease and control. WIth headphones, I can't listen to NewTopias above the second volume dot or they get way too loud. If I didn't have speakers and if drums didn't sound so d@mn good with the SRs, I might consider selling it, but I would almost certainly regret doing so in the long run. It reminds me of an uglier, overpriced, hotter running, yet equally versatile CFA3.

Oh yeah - they definitely need smooches. I'm going to try everything I can to use Mitch's filters with a cleaner DSP implementation. Roon's engine just isn't cutting it, which really isn't all that surprising.

This will definitely happen, it's a question of when. Apparently, my VM-1a will be arriving sooner than expected so I best get ready. I just reached out to the folks at Elrog for a tube set recommendation for the VM-1a. In my limited experience with tubes, 300Bs seem to yield some of the best possible SQ, but the cost is nutty.

Appreciate the tube recommendation btw.
I use roon with my filters and I have no issue...works beautifully

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #21,801 of 25,604
Agreed. I just switched to a different source and the filters were much more enjoyable with less digital edge. The problem doesn't seem to be with the filters themselves, but with DSP in general. If you have a true high resolution system and tweak things to sound a certain way, adding DSP can throw things off considerably (especially if you have a really good source...or use among the most resolving HPs on planet earth). I am going to try using Mitch's filters with HQPlayer instead.

For clarity, I'm an idiot and built my own stupidity expensive custom source. So adding DSP of almost any kind is akin pouring gravel in the ear cups. It is instantly recognizable and often sounds poor. That's not the filter's fault.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #21,802 of 25,604
All amp manufacturers should seal their doors. The great explorer found the Walkman sufficient...
Oh no! Poor China! What are they supposed to do if all the amp manufactores close down?

Who is going to buy the 20$ Ti Chips, putting them with a bunch of 30$ capacitors on a 10$ board and sell them for 1000$?

Razor would have to focus more on gaming headphones and keyboards then when nobody buys THX AAA Amps.

But of course, as long there are people on Head-fi who are sure, that they can hear a change of 0.005db very obvious and without a doubt, and that the rules of physcis are true for everything but audio equipment, those manufactors are guaranteed to make their money. They won't shut their doors soon.

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #21,804 of 25,604
Thank you for your input. I do agree that it is unreasonable for them to pay for re-terminating my current cables, I'm looking into the different options and hopefully can come to some sort of resolution with them soon.
The latest 3.5mm are much better built. Swivels smoother, tolerances better. They also come with nicer cloth cables. I was all set to sell mine but after getting back the latest 3.5 warranty unit it’s so much better I’m keeping it. Re termination or making an adaptor is pretty quick and simple. If you want an upgrade while your at it, the AECO connectors have a pure copper base metal (as opposed to brass or a mixture of things that cheaper connectors use).

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #21,805 of 25,604
Hi guys!

Could be a stupid question but still - to any of you having DX320 MAX TI, how many % of 100% Susvara sound could it bring to me?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #21,806 of 25,604
which is the closest cable that would be like dana lazuli nirvana cable that is reasonably priced

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #21,807 of 25,604

It is indeed a crazy hobby 😁 on my system, the filters make both CA1a and SR1a sound even much more natural and effortless. It's the opposite of what they did on your system 😁 So yeah I guess at the end of the day it's down to preferences. I've said from the beginning that the ribbon duo has the most natural and life-like timbre & tonality (though others might not agree) and it seems that's also the case with you 👍🏼 enjoy!!
If you haven't heard, this can be boiled down to the differentiators being 300B vs non. In the case of non, the VM uses EL34, which strikes a fair balance without really addressing vocal centric-sweetening and timbral-richening.

I'm willing to bet there is a bridge with the EF1000 being hybrid that doesn't impart itself upon enough.

The CA1a is wonky without filters and takes some smooches to even things out.

Elrog love is revelatory.
I've derailed this thread more than enough on this topic - my apologies.

I just wanted to say that Mitch's CA-1a filters are very different than the SR filters. The SR filters murdered the sound, while the CA filters took it to new heights using HQPlayer - HOLY MOLY. I suspect it is because the CAs are significantly less resolving than the SRs, so it's easier to hide DSP. I'm going to try the CA filters with my franken-source to see if I get a similar result. Thus far, these filters turn the CAs into something quite magical.

Now I understand what all the hubbub is about.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #21,808 of 25,604
Hi, just got my Feliks Envy Performance Edition with Full Music Tubes, paired with the Susvara and the Cambridge Edge NQ Streamer DAC in Preamp Modus, using Roon with LAN Cable, Headroom Managment -3db, it sounds amazing, so beautiful and musical and detailed with the DAC, the Soundstage is ok but not wide, i would love to have deeper soundstage in all axis and better layer seperation in to depth.

The DACs that i have in mind are Holo May KTE, Rokna Wavedream Signature XLR Balanced, MSB Discrete, and for Tube, id like to go with Elrog ER300B-MO, i test the Hugo TT2 i didnt like it, it to analitical and didnt sound natural and overly detailed. I am looking for realistic, holografic and deep in soundstage and seperation. I read that the Holo May is good in that. Dont now the the Rockna or MSB Discrete compares to the May KTE, is the price upgrade worth it?

I used my Cambridge EDGE NQ DAC as DAC it has a 6.6v XLR output, i was not able to go 3 above at the Envys volume, 4 was to loud and 5 starts disort already. After Turning the Preamp on the EDGE NQ on, i had to use 2 volume controls but the sound is amazing now, can listen loud without exploding my ears.

I have concern that i will have the same problem with the Holo May KTE since the May is DAC only without Preamp and have to get the Holo Serene Preamp and its already 10k. I can get the Rockna Wavedream Signature XLR Balanced Edition for 10k too.

Would love to hear your opinions and experices, thanks

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #21,809 of 25,604

I just wanted to say that Mitch's CA-1a filters are very different than the SR filters. The SR filters murdered the sound, while the CA filters took it to new heights using HQPlayer - HOLY MOLY. I suspect it is because the CAs are significantly less resolving than the SRs, so it's easier to hide DSP. I'm going to try the CA filters with my franken-source to see if I get a similar result. Thus far, these filters turn the CAs into something quite magical.

FWIW, I find the CA-1a to be as resolving as the Sr1a generally, just with the better overall presentation without genre limitations due to bass issues. I'd still take the Susvara over it overall for completeness.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #21,810 of 25,604

IMHO the filters with the sr1a are fantastic and the CA-1a is damn close detail wise...both fantastic,as good as anything in the market

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back