HiFiMan Susvara
May 5, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #21,107 of 25,602
Are you sweating a lot? Or live you in are with high humidity? Friend of mine of mine have similar problem with Arya pads, but he sweats a lot. I've never that problem with Arya or Susvara now. Listening mostly every day for 1-2h.
I would say normally :) If this was a humidity problem (incl. sweating), then it would still be a construction flaw (bad glue). I listen practically every day, sometimes for many hours (up to 8), with lots of manipulation (headphones on/off) in between when going somewhere or back to my PC. But Susvara pads are the only ones with this problem of many headphones I owned, used more frequently, and treated much worse. I am much more careful with Susvaras, but still, the problem is there repeatedly, every x months. See my other posts. I concluded it must have been a construction flaw.

On the other hand, nothing has bested Susvaras to my ears, and that is why I have been keeping them for years without looking for anything new/better. I actually sold most of my other headphones without regrets.

Regarding Hekv2 versus Susvara: Tried it once and thought the Hekv2 might sound a bit more "interesting" when comparing them shortly, but I have kept Susvaras that I appreciate more in the long term. Difficult to put this in words. It is like Susvara sounded somehow more "normal" to me at first, but it is actually their real strength.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #21,108 of 25,602
I'm starting to get worried about the lifespan of my Susvara pads from reading comments. I realize it will vary, but how long have you all gone with pads, if you had them brand new?
I'm assuming I can get direct from Hifiman...
And what's with the glue? Are they difficult to take off? Difficult to put new ones back on?
mine lasted me several years, just got them replaced by Hifiman at no charge...easy to replace so no big issue

May 5, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #21,109 of 25,602
I would say normally :) If this was a humidity problem (incl. sweating), then it would still be a construction flaw (bad glue). I listen practically every day, sometimes for many hours (up to 8), with lots of manipulation (headphones on/off) in between when going somewhere or back to my PC. But Susvara pads are the only ones with this problem of many headphones I owned, used more frequently, and treated much worse. I am much more careful with Susvaras, but still, the problem is there repeatedly, every x months. See my other posts. I concluded it must have been a construction flaw.

On the other hand, nothing has bested Susvaras to my ears, and that is why I have been keeping them for years without looking for anything new/better. I actually sold most of my other headphones without regrets.

Regarding Hekv2 versus Susvara: Tried it once and thought the Hekv2 might sound a bit more "interesting" when comparing them shortly, but I have kept Susvaras that I appreciate more in the long term. Difficult to put this in words. It is like Susvara sounded somehow more "normal" to me at first, but it is actually their real strength.
Yes. Susvara is probably the most natural and real sounding headphone ever made.

May 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #21,111 of 25,602
May 5, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #21,113 of 25,602
I found a neat trick to removing the pads very easily, just slide a credit card below the pad and push against the tab, they pop right out. Use same method to put back on.
@BassicScience thank you for mentioning the "Credit Card" way of getting pads on and off. I hope not to have to install any pads for some time but the few times I have it was a process. The credit card method seems like a super slick way to do it.

May 5, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #21,114 of 25,602
I was able to take the pads off and on without issue which surprised me...very easy

May 5, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #21,115 of 25,602
So what happens when you take the pads off? Do you have to reapply glue to new pads?

May 5, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #21,116 of 25,602
@BassicScience thank you for mentioning the "Credit Card" way of getting pads on and off. I hope not to have to install any pads for some time but the few times I have it was a process. The credit card method seems like a super slick way to do it.
You're welcome. I believe @ra990 was the first to post it, for which many of us have been very grateful ever since. :pray:
So what happens when you take the pads off? Do you have to reapply glue to new pads?
No, the glue is applied between the plastic ring (with the tabs) and the cover material at the factory. You may apply a thin layer of additional glue (or electrical tape, as I mentioned above) along the edges of the material, at your own discretion. If you apply any additional glue, make sure it's thoroughly dry before installing the pads back onto the headphones!

May 5, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #21,117 of 25,602
Good Lord. Get the hell out of here!
3 to 6 months? And this happens? Over and over again? Multiple pairs?
I simply can't believe this. If this is such a common thing for you how come It's not more of a well-known defect?
I'm just thinking of the process that I go through with them. I take them off the stand that holds them by the metal band, I gently pull them apart and place them gently on my head. My head stays relatively stationary throughout the listening session and then I reverse the process. What in God's name is going on that you have such an issue?
I have the same problem as "Seaice" and I have used up 5 pairs of HiFiMan's Susvara earpads as they only last ~6 months before becoming unglued. I am now using the Dekoni version without having the problem of it becoming unglued.

Jeff.

May 6, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #21,118 of 25,602
don't need to spend over 8k for an amp for the susvara that is ridiculous
In my experience the Susvara keeps on scaling upwards and upwards to higher levels of audio nirvana as you scale up with other TOTL equipment in the hifi system chain. Every change I have made to my systems the Susvara has picked it up.

May 6, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #21,119 of 25,602
I disagree I run the TT2/MScaler combo with the Riviera AIC-10 with great results. We must be hearing something totally different.
I might change my mind, after the power optimizations I did to the Chord TT2 yesterday. Torus TOT MAX -> Furutech Flux-50 -> iFi Elite -> Chord TT2. WOW! its on another level now with noticeable differences. Arya got more meat to the sound. Not that honeymoon placebo thing. I have had hard times with Chord TT2, but now it sounds like it can compete with the AGD setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the TT2 is actually connected to the AGD DI20HE with COAX :sweat_smile: - furthermore taking advantage of masterclock also(OCK-2) which is connected to DI20HE.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #21,120 of 25,602
In my experience the Susvara keeps on scaling upwards and upwards to higher levels of audio nirvana as you scale up with other TOTL equipment in the hifi system chain. Every change I have made to my systems the Susvara has picked it up.
true and the same can be said of the abyss TC which I also own....that said nobody needs to spend 8K for an amp for the susvara much less 15k....truth is suggesting that they do simply keeps many people from looking into the susvara or ultimately buying one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back