HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 23, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #20,581 of 25,592
I am only saying this because Susvara got a very weak/stretchy headband, and is weighty. If it was easy to change I would probably don´t care....
-I only hang my susvara by the band when in "use" when not its either in box or hanging by the metal

But daamn! thats a sweet cable. DIY?
Doh! Why didn’t I think of this! They hang just nice from the metal strap on my headphone stand. Thanks!

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #20,582 of 25,592
lovely set ,
My Susvara finally arrived. While I still wait for the LTA Z10e, I have tried some of my trusted amps.
Very surprisingly, using the 'high gain' output of the Sony DMP-Z1, the Susvara sings like a songbird.
Listening the Blackpink, DSD256 tracks, and Akina Nakamori. All very fine. Powerful enough.
Can't wait on how a full 12W will do with the Susvara.

So far, these ear-speakers are very smooth indeed. Not as fast as the Stax X9000, but the bass is better. Yes, it is. Feel it in the upper body, especially with wamth in my face.
(and this is on night one)

31676372-E040-487F-9565-9F83FEC9410F_1_102_o.jpeg
Thanks for sharing. Very curious how the dmp-z1 compares to other amps you have , for susvara.

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #20,583 of 25,592
Perfect!

E7607D98-58F7-42C1-BBA7-CB854EABA118.jpeg

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #20,584 of 25,592
lovely set ,

Thanks for sharing. Very curious how the dmp-z1 compares to other amps you have , for susvara.
The Sony DMP-Z1 is handy and portable, really great on a boat. That said, it's not as revealing as say the Chord DAVE or Nagra HD DAC. I do like the vocals with the Sony, mirrors the Nagra's vocals, that's nice as the Swiss unit uses output tubes. I am hoping the combination of the Nagra with the (yet to be here) LTA Z10e will give me a pure tubes path with power and finesse. The tricky part is whether they crash, simply rolling tubes may not solve the issues.

If I had never heard the Chords or the Nagra, the Sony DMP-Z1 would be my go to.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #20,586 of 25,592
Thanks.
I ' ve seen many dmp-z1 on the classifieds and been tempted. Portability is something i need too.
There is nothing better than listening to headphones on a boat, at night. The waves and the breeze really adds to the experience.

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #20,589 of 25,592
All this boat talk is reminding me of listening in the paradise of the Virgin Islands a few years ago. I remember it being night time, near Jost Van Dyke and the boat was gently moving in a star filled night. It was just perfect. Anne Bisson, if I recall correctly. Just me, and a set of Stax Omega II.
Moondance

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #20,591 of 25,592
Have Susvara on the way... very excited.
You will like it alot with time...but a fat ass amp or did you already arrange that?( - what everybody else was thinking) - What DAC do you use. Is it balanced enough for Susvara? Forget a mid focused DAC, it will hurt the spectrum of the presentation = Chord Hugo TT2, which is meant for AryaV2

Dont focus on amp like everybody else here. Get a DAC that is very balanced...

Thats why Im popin my collar when this amp talk gets out of hand...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #20,592 of 25,592
You will like it alot with time...but a fat ass amp or did you already arrange that?( - what everybody else was thinking) - What DAC do you use. Is it balanced enough for Susvara? Forget a mid focused DAC, it will hurt the spectrum of the presentation = Chord Hugo TT2

Dont focus on amp like everybody else here. Get a DAC that is very balanced...

Thats why Im popin my collar when this amp talk gets out of hand...

I find myself watching a lot of youtube videos with Susvara.
And, with Dell desktop you get this Waves audio, which works really well with Amazon Music. Very active and customizable EQ.

All enjoyable.

Not sure I'm poppin' my collar, but all good. :)

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #20,593 of 25,592
Yup, that's what I'd do. HiFiMan support are responsive folks.
I had one channel fail on a Sus that I bought on eBay. HiFiMan is sending me a replacement for a price I won't name because it is so low. Arrrives Friday...I'll let you know how it sets up.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #20,594 of 25,592
I had one channel fail on a Sus that I bought on eBay. HiFiMan is sending me a replacement for a price I won't name because it is so low. Arrrives Friday...I'll let you know how it sets up.
OK, here's my thorough description of my process with HiFiMan.

So, I win this eBay auction for Susvara. $3,500. Enjoy the hell out of it, until about 3 months after purchase a channel fails. Running through an Ifi signature as pre-amp and AHB2 as amp.

e-mail HFM customer service. They get back to me asking for my zip code. Then respond "we have one in your area."

Ask me to send the HP's to NY ... no cords, etc. Pay a few bucks to this website they gave me. A very few bucks. 3 weeks later new HP's arrive. Just now. No box; no cables,no note.. just a new set of HP's jacked for 2.5mm. They may be refurbished or whatever, but they look and smell great!

Now it gets strange. The existing HP cables don't fit the new unit. But I am bailed out because I had ordered Forza hybrid cables set up for 2.5 mm which fit perfectly.

OK, so I am running Woo WA22 > AHB2 >Susvara with Forza 2.5mm copper/silver cable.

Heaven takes work and some luck. HFM customer service was extraordinary.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #20,595 of 25,592
OK, here's my thorough description of my process with HiFiMan.

So, I win this eBay auction for Susvara. $3,500. Enjoy the hell out of it, until about 3 months after purchase a channel fails. Running through an Ifi signature as pre-amp and AHB2 as amp.

e-mail HFM customer service. They get back to me asking for my zip code. Then respond "we have one in your area."

Ask me to send the HP's to NY ... no cords, etc. Pay a few bucks to this website they gave me. A very few bucks. 3 weeks later new HP's arrive. Just now. No box; no cables,no note.. just a new set of HP's jacked for 2.5mm. They may be refurbished or whatever, but they look and smell great!

Now it gets strange. The existing HP cables don't fit the new unit. But I am bailed out because I had ordered Forza hybrid cables set up for 2.5 mm which fit perfectly.

OK, so I am running Woo WA22 > AHB2 >Susvara with Forza 2.5mm copper/silver cable.

Heaven takes work and some luck. HFM customer service was extraordinary.
Be careful with that AHB2.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back