HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 9, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #19,636 of 25,592
This looks normal for the Susvara. If you search this thread, you'll find several similar pictures posted. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. There are spotty gold traces and both sides appear totally randomly spread out, like your pics show. This doesn't seem to impact the sound.
So interesting. I bought a used pair (2022 purchase) a month ago. They dont look anything like your pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0923 (002).jpg
    IMG_0923 (002).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0924 (002).jpg
    IMG_0924 (002).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #19,637 of 25,592
I am in the process of reading thru the thread (using search feature) getting a better feel for user experience around the DAC topic. I’m planning sometime this next year to add a Holo DAC (still debating, probably Spring3 KTE with the built-on Pre-amp). Any input appreciated but I bet there’s plenty already been said.

For Susvara it’s better to get an amp first. A very good amp. Don’t get me wrong, DACs are very important. But with a headphones like this you need to have an outstanding amplifier to enjoy all those nice things that expensive DAC is capable of.

As for DACs it’s always better to demo if you like this type of sound or not. If it turns out that NOS R2R is your thing - Holo is a great choice.

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #19,640 of 25,592
use a flashlight inside the caps turn of the light it shows the stains.
Just out of curiosity, what made you do that in the first place? Was there something off with the way it sounds?

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #19,641 of 25,592
Just out of curiosity, what made you do that in the first place? Was there something off with the way it sounds?
Just watched a review in YouTube and wanted to see mine and now I am confused, if it should look like this and why it’s not looking clean. Those are my first headphones I am new to the Headphone world and wanted to be sure that they are okay.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #19,643 of 25,592
I bought headphones from Moon Audio. The company actually lets you make a return to a local store. Save all the packaging, etc. Saves the return shipping cost.
I bought on open box from Headamp who are a registered HIFIMAN dealer, so not only 60 day return policy but also full 3- year warranty plus 90 days extra warranty from HIFIMAN for registering online. Just beginning to appreciate but everything received intact at a fabulous price.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #19,644 of 25,592
So interesting. I bought a used pair (2022 purchase) a month ago. They dont look anything like your pics.
You have to shine a light through them to see the speckles. Without a light, they look pretty uniform like the images you posted. Shine a flashlight from the other side and you'll see what others are seeing.

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #19,645 of 25,592
It’s okay! Mine looks the same 🙂
This looks normal for the Susvara. If you search this thread, you'll find several similar pictures posted. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. There are spotty gold traces and both sides appear totally randomly spread out, like your pics show. This doesn't seem to impact the sound.

Thanks for confirming, it's good to know that this is not a flaw or anything of the sort.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #19,646 of 25,592
Mine have just arrived. Just connecting to the Flux Volot 😁

IMG20230113094035.jpg

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #19,647 of 25,592

IMG20230113094035.jpg
Your initial impressions? I got mine about 3 weeks ago. The first listen was a revelation.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #19,648 of 25,592

IMG20230113094035.jpg
As a pro tip: I noticed that even though they fit comfortably quite easily, it does matter how one fits them in head. I've found them bright earlier, but today I readjusted them for the first time and changed both sides tighter by one tick so that my ears were on the bottom of the earcup until I kind kind of push them down in my head. Now the fit is much tighter and they don't move in my head so much. I noticed that this somehow affected the brightness and now they feel more neutral. I don't feel such a need for EQ anymore.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #19,649 of 25,592
Your initial impressions? I got mine about 3 weeks ago. The first listen was a revelation.
Yep - revelatory is the perfect word. I hadn't expected this level of emotional engagement - I feel as though the music flows naturally through these cans. I'm not sure how the Susvara achieves this musicality - but other top tier headphones that I compared it against didn't compete - technically they may have been great but none of them played with my emotions like the music I hear through the Susvara.

I was lucky that I'd listened to a pair (shop demo) in December. I've needed to sell a lot of my other equipment to be able to get a pair but I knew ithey'd be worth it (I took my Flux Volot with me to the shop demo to check compatibility).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #19,650 of 25,592
I hadn't expected this level of emotional engagement
Well said. When I got my Sus a few weeks ago, I was emotionally overwhelmed. Driving with a Benchmark AHB2. Reading about your Flux VOLOT - congrats on what looks like a great marriage!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back