HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #19,652 of 25,688
Yep - revelatory is the perfect word. I hadn't expected this level of emotional engagement - I feel as though the music flows naturally through these cans. I'm not sure how the Susvara achieves this musicality - but other top tier headphones that I compared it against didn't compete - technically they may have been great but none of them played with my emotions like the music I hear through the Susvara.

I was lucky that I'd listened to a pair (shop demo) in December. I've needed to sell a lot of my other equipment to be able to get a pair but I knew ithey'd be worth it (I took my Flux Volot with me to the shop demo to check compatibility).
I think my initial response -other than amazement at the imaging and stage presentation, utterly above anything I had experienced in mid-fi (Aryas move over!) - was that I had discovered the ‘pearl of great price’ and that I’d be needing to sell other gear to finance a better amp to optimize the Sus (I have Topping A90D and Burson 3XP which is fine for now but one of them will probably have to go eventually). So kind of alarmed - ‘what have I done, into what new rabbit hole have I gone’?

Don’t read me wrong- I am smitten. But it’s like when you fall in love and then realize that everything else in your life has suddenly been re-arranged.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #19,653 of 25,688
I think my initial response -other than amazement at the imaging and stage presentation, utterly above anything I had experienced in mid-fi (Aryas move over!) - was that I had discovered the ‘pearl of great price’ and that I’d be needing to sell other gear to finance a better amp to optimize the Sus (I have Topping A90D and Burson 3XP which is fine for now but one of them will probably have to go eventually). So kind of alarmed - ‘what have I done, into what new rabbit hole have I gone’?

Don’t read me wrong- I am smitten. But it’s like when you fall in love and then realize that everything else in your life has suddenly been re-arranged.
One of the main attributes of the Susvara (like any top hifi component or item) is it scales up so scarily and incredibly well as you move up the hifi chain with the source material source equipment, pre-amp, amp, cables etc.

This has made me invest a lot of hard earned money and a lot of time (especially with my analogue material and equipment for both) into the sources and amp for the Susvara and I assume the Susvara can scale up even further.

However, the reward is phenomenal as now I am addicted to have my fix in listening to my headphone rig now in the UK most if not every night.

You have to treat the Susvara just like a TOTL / high-end speaker and give it (with complete & perfect synergy) the source material, source equipment, pre-amp and amp it deserves and you will be fully rewarded with entering into audio nirvana !

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #19,655 of 25,688
I’d read somewhere that class D amps don’t work very well with Susvaras. Is this true? I’m trying to drive them with my lyngdorf TDAI 1120 and it’s fatiguing. Not the case when driving speakers from the lyngdorf.
That’s not true at all. I ran the Susvaras with the Bel Canto S300 with out an issue until I purchased my Riviera AIC-10.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #19,656 of 25,688
Well owning Susvara for a couple years has pretty much ruined me for other headphones.

Before I could read how such and such headphone where so good! amazing imaging or excellent mids!

Some flowery words would still convince my nieveity, like wow I have to try this headphone, it's lonely on top, the wow factor is a thing of the past, now time to enjoy and quite looking.

Although, I did recieve one wow factor with a headphone since Susvara, the Ultrasone edition 11, the most out of head sound I've heard outside Susvara, and my first and probably last Ultrasone.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #19,657 of 25,688
Well owning Susvara for a couple years has pretty much ruined me for other headphones.

Before I could read how such and such headphone where so good! amazing imaging or excellent mids!

Some flowery words would still convince my nieveity, like wow I have to try this headphone, it's lonely on top, the wow factor is a thing of the past, now time to enjoy and quite looking.

Although, I did recieve one wow factor with a headphone since Susvara, the Ultrasone edition 11, the most out of head sound I've heard outside Susvara, and my first and probably last Ultrasone.
I certainly hope I too can escape the FOMO / anhedonic cycle wherein I keep trying to achieve ever greater sonic nirvana. The current plan is to add a Benchmark AHB2 + Holo Spring 3 Dac and call it quits for a couple of years. Even this will take me the next year to save up for. Given past performance I feel skeptical that I will remain satisfied, but hope springs eternal and I’ve recently had a ‘come to Jesus’ talk with my wife so I am determined to ‘cool it’ wrt the stream of purchases promising ever greater bass texture etc. I love this hobby but it is a challenge to keep it (and related costs) in check 😝

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #19,658 of 25,688
I certainly hope I too can escape the FOMO / anhedonic cycle wherein I keep trying to achieve ever greater sonic nirvana. The current plan is to add a Benchmark AHB2 + Holo Spring 3 Dac and call it quits for a couple of years. Even this will take me the next year to save up for. Given past performance I feel skeptical that I will remain satisfied, but hope springs eternal and I’ve recently had a ‘come to Jesus’ talk with my wife so I am determined to ‘cool it’ wrt the stream of purchases promising ever greater bass texture etc. I love this hobby but it is a challenge to keep it (and related costs) in check 😝

It's tough, especially when I keep hanging around the forums, there is always that temptation. I'd like to hear the TC but as is the case with all my purchases it'd be a blind buy. Most days I think myself crazy for wanting more than Susvara but do enjoy other headphones for a change in presentation, more punch/bass for certain tracks make things interesting. Sounds like overall you, like me have an understanding wife :)

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #19,659 of 25,688
It's tough, especially when I keep hanging around the forums, there is always that temptation. I'd like to hear the TC but as is the case with all my purchases it'd be a blind buy. Most days I think myself crazy for wanting more than Susvara but do enjoy other headphones for a change in presentation, more punch/bass for certain tracks make things interesting. Sounds like overall you, like me have an understanding wife :)
My susvaras (and to a lesser extent my budget) significantly curb my yearning to buy the abyss, or any other headphone i have listened to over the last 2 years

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #19,660 of 25,688
Benchmark AHB2 + Holo Spring 3
Or Holo Bliss + Holo Spring 3. Bliss was designed Susvara in mind and perfect synergy with Spring. Read that it outperforms AHB2 as well. Never heard AHB2, but I have Bliss with Susvara and love it.

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #19,661 of 25,688
Or Holo Bliss + Holo Spring 3. Bliss was designed Susvara in mind and perfect synergy with Spring. Read that it outperforms AHB2 as well. Never heard AHB2, but I have Bliss with Susvara and love it.
Both are excellent choices

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #19,662 of 25,688
Finally found an ss amp to partner my tube amp for Susvara. Some owners look after their gear and this Musical Fidelity X-150 is as new as when the owner bought it 10 years ago. In 2018, he brought it back to Len Wallis Audio, the same shop he bought it from, to have a full service, which means a new custom transformer and upgraded parts installed. When I went to his place yesterday to pick it up, he demo the amp driving his speakers in the lounge to a room filling volume and the volume dial is just at slightly above 1/4 level. The X-150 putting out 75w into 8 ohms and 150w into 4ohms is a high current amp.

So I got it home and have been listening to how it perform with my Axis VoiceBox S speakers and Susvara.... most of last night. Axis Voicebox S is 83dB and 5ohms and Susvara is 83dB and 60ohms. MF X-150 handled both of them without a problem with the volume dial sitting at just 9 am. Tonally it has been described as warm and lush with a gutsy bass, astounding clarity, transparency and a very wide soundstage. I agree after listening to Susvara with it. This one's a keeper. :)

If you're looking for stereo intergrated amps for Susvara, I suggest you also look at Musical Fidelity and Naim. You won't be disppointed.

IMG_5635.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #19,663 of 25,688
Nice setup! What was your Headphone connection arrangement?

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #19,665 of 25,688

Users who are viewing this thread

Back