HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #17,356 of 25,659
Curious how you will find the CFA3 in comparison to the Soloist 3X GT. The latter is one of the best headphone amps I've own or heard. Especially with upgraded op-amps.
Ditto on the 3X GT, it’s still my preferred amp over Volot / Ferrum stack / Enleum 23r. And preferred it still over power amps including a pair of NCore monoblocks. I have not tried op-amp rolling, but I would like to PM you for tips :)

I am on the lookout for another amp as I toggle between two countries. Would love to just travel with a Susvara and have a good amp waiting for me in either homes.

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #17,358 of 25,659
Ditto on the 3X GT, it’s still my preferred amp over Volot / Ferrum stack / Enleum 23r. And preferred it still over power amps including a pair of NCore monoblocks. I have not tried op-amp rolling, but I would like to PM you for tips :)

I am on the lookout for another amp as I toggle between two countries. Would love to just travel with a Susvara and have a good amp waiting for me in either homes.
Audition an Auris Nirvana or newly introduced Felix Envy with Susvara.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #17,359 of 25,659
Audition an Auris Nirvana or newly introduced Felix Envy with Susvara.
I kinda prefer the Cayin HA-300 over the Nirvana when I heard em some months back. But the new Felix Envy is something I might give a try.

I have a preference for SS though, which I sometimes tubify with a tube preamp.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #17,361 of 25,659
I have heard Auris Nirvana with Susvara but I much prefer Odyssey.

And I am getting Telemachus instead of Felix Envy.
This means you need MELZ 1578 and Elrog ER300B. Non-negotiable.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #17,364 of 25,659
Riviera AIC-10 and also Bel Canto Class D amps I’ve been using the 300S until I got my riviera. Bel Canto has a small footprint, fits on a desk with ease and very musical.
Riviera AIC-10 looks so sweet. But its way over 10k right?

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #17,365 of 25,659
Riviera AIC-10 looks so sweet. But its way over 10k right?

Yes it is. I would have kept using the Bel Canto but wanted a tube amp and i love the fact you only have one tube to roll in the Riviera. I’m telling you you can’t go wrong with
Bel Canto Amps paired with the TT2. The TT2 would drive most of the phones at your disposal and your hard to drive the Bel Canto would take over. I also have an iFi IESL Pro that i connect to. Makes things easy. Planning on diving into E-States

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #17,366 of 25,659
Yes it is. I would have kept using the Bel Canto but wanted a tube amp and i love the fact you only have one tube to roll in the Riviera. I’m telling you you can’t go wrong with
Bel Canto Amps paired with the TT2. The TT2 would drive most of the phones at your disposal and your hard to drive the Bel Canto would take over. I also have an iFi IESL Pro that i connect to. Makes things easy. Planning on diving into E-States
Belcanto makes there own amp or hypex, pascal purifi or?

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #17,367 of 25,659
Bel Canto Designs and makes there amps. They are a US Based company out of Minneapolis, MN. They have been in business for over 30 plus years. There gear sound great and look like a work of art. You will get a fell for their size in my 2-Channel Setup.

Attachments

• 61894769923__A7F2EA64-D8FF-4F75-AF8B-72AB66972D98.JPG
    61894769923__A7F2EA64-D8FF-4F75-AF8B-72AB66972D98.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #17,368 of 25,659
This means you need MELZ 1578 and Elrog ER300B. Non-negotiable.

In all my years of rolling 6sn7, I’ve not yet tried Melz 1578. My best experience being Tung Sol 6sn7gt bgrp and Sylvania 6sn7w metal base.

I could not afford to roll 300b tubes. So depending on how much the Elrog cost or it will be WE300b. 😊

Aug 13, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #17,369 of 25,659
How much did Odyssey & Telemachus cost ?

Depending on configuration….

My Odyssey is 4.5k euro without tubes and NOS (new old stock) tubes will cost.

A full configuration Telemachus will be just shy of 6k euros but it starts from 4235 euros.

Options are generally:-

Speakers out
Preamp out
Choice of boutique caps. Eg Mundorf - the default is Russian PIO caps which is still pretty good.
Yamamoto sockets. More expensive than your prized gold fish.
Dual power supply option - ability to select ss or tube rectifier.
Impedance switching.
Number of xlr/rca inputs.
Xlr output in addition to 1/4 Jack.
Additional if you wanted fancy dancing VU meters instead of mA (voltage)
meters.
Choice of fancy volume knob.

There’s a website- search for Ultrasonic Studio.org

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #17,370 of 25,659
It's a shame Flux is out of business because the Volot has everything I look for in a amp, huge sound stage, incredible imaging, great texture and dynamics.

As good as the Volot is, in my opinion I have another amp I built a second system around because I wanted to keep it as a back up in case something happens to Volot. Some have said it has a mid bass 🐫 but I don't hear it that way, it's the affordable Kinki Studio Thr-1. It has a balance of resolution, soundstage and imaging I really enjoy with Susvara. Volot is my favorite amp every, Kinki Studio Thr-1 is second. Highly recommend it actually.

The thing with Sus is there is such a huge variation between the people who own them, many have tons and tons of expendable cash and others spent about all they had to enjoy the sound of a top flight can like Susvara.

I think that if your in that camp you will still be better off with Sus +mid level amp than a mid-level can and a high end amp.

I've never heard the Susvara on any amp and thought meh... They sounded good on everything, it's just as I went up the ladder they just kept getting better and better. I'm sure they could still get better but until I get a raise I won't know lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back