HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #17,266 of 25,604
Thanks I understand the wiring of SE. But why do HIFIMAN insist on trs. And why do Meze make them TS.

I heard part-wise TRS is more popular and has more products in the market (i.e., more options in choosing suppliers) than TS in the context of 3.5mm connector. The same goes to 2.5mm connector, too. In other words, they chose TRS but used it as if TS.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #17,267 of 25,604
Thanks I understand the wiring of SE. But why do HIFIMAN insist on trs. And why do Meze make them TS.

You are actually saying that the Ground on 4.4 jack is not used because its used on of the L and R … G is left empty…TS?

I actually see no difference in these pictures TS VS TRS….question is how is the socket in Susvara? Is it made for TRS
It's just the more common connector that they likely have a lot more of (and possibly even cheaper for them). They can use the TRS on either end of the cable and it will work. If they have TS, it will only work on the headphone side, so they likely just use TRS due to parts availability, versatility, and to keep their inventory simple.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #17,268 of 25,604
Any area that you feel the Bakoon is lacking against WA33?
Any area that you feel the Bakoon is lacking against WA33?
With respect to the Holo Bliss: I would wait to see before buying anything else. First, Jeff Zhu is a sane mad-genius. The cost is likely to be more manageable than the Bakoon, the Nimbus, or the Zahl... and there aren't many Zahls available each year. Tim at Kitsune hasn't steered me wrong yet. The Bliss will be designed to be the perfect Susvara amp. And if you haven't heard the May KTE DAC, it is an absolute game changer. Doesn't come in second to any DAC at any price in any significant way, if at all. I just interrupted my Holo May KTE/Woo WA5-LE listening, with amp alternates being Bryston and Ferrum, and DACs being Bryston, Schiit, and Hugo. The May is like a whole different kind of animal arrived from the future - the others are excellent DACs, among the best, and they sound like old CD players by comparison. The Bliss appears to be a labor of love from someone who Knows something, the same vision and skill which created the May, and before it the Spring, which was, itself, very special.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #17,269 of 25,604
With respect to the Holo Bliss: I would wait to see before buying anything else. First, Jeff Zhu is a sane mad-genius. The cost is likely to be more manageable than the Bakoon, the Nimbus, or the Zahl... and there aren't many Zahls available each year. Tim at Kitsune hasn't steered me wrong yet. The Bliss will be designed to be the perfect Susvara amp. And if you haven't heard the May KTE DAC, it is an absolute game changer. Doesn't come in second to any DAC at any price in any significant way, if at all. I just interrupted my Holo May KTE/Woo WA5-LE listening, with amp alternates being Bryston and Ferrum, and DACs being Bryston, Schiit, and Hugo. The May is like a whole different kind of animal arrived from the future - the others are excellent DACs, among the best, and they sound like old CD players by comparison. The Bliss appears to be a labor of love from someone who Knows something, the same vision and skill which created the May, and before it the Spring, which was, itself, very special.
Are you talking about the HM-1 from Zahl?

8000 dollars, damn!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #17,271 of 25,604
A strong tube amp may really help with smoothing the treble and highlighting mids and bass (depending on specifics of course). Try it out some time..

Agree. I have no issues with treble or a recessed mids because I'm using Yggdrasil with a very strong fast transients tube amp. I've never thought of Susvara having a recess mids. That's not possible from what I'm hearing. In fact the mids is very engaging and sound lovely with vocals.

I did not like what I hear at the audio shop with just TT2. It is thin and bright as pointed out by ufospls2. When the proprietor added a tube amp to the chain TT2 + M'scalar + Auris Nirvana + Susvara, that's when I nodded my head. I've also heard Susvara with WA33 which I thought was amazing.

I'm loving my present setup the most though because Odyssey is a very special sounding tube amp.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #17,272 of 25,604
DIY builders can provide amps that are often much higher build quality than generic ones.

This one was recommended in this thread by Dukei who you could pm directly to find more about

Totally agree with that. Custom niche amp builders, whether tube or solid state, produce exceptional amps tailored to your requirements, made specially for you.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #17,273 of 25,604
I did not like what I hear at the audio shop with just TT2. It is thin and bright as pointed out by ufospls2. When the proprietor added a tube amp to the chain TT2 + M'scalar + Auris Nirvana + Susvara, that's when I nodded my head. I've also heard Susvara with WA33 which I thought was amazing.

I'm loving my present setup the most though because Odyssey is a very special sounding tube amp.

I have the Auris Nirvana and have used it with the Susvara, it is absolutely wonderful completely agree! (I currently use my speaker amp with it mostly, and the Nirvana for all my other cans, but I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #17,274 of 25,604
I have the Auris Nirvana and have used it with the Susvara, it is absolutely wonderful completely agree! (I currently use my speaker amp with it mostly, and the Nirvana for all my other cans, but I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I know you have Auris Nirvana and that's why I know what you're hearing and it's great !

I have speaker amps and I've use speaker taps with Susvara. Speaker amps has a fullness and force of sound that is not felt in even powerful dedicated headphone amps but the latter (good ones) gets very close and also in my experience, dedicated powerful headphone amps has better precision, an incisiveness that is not there with speaker amps. Minute details shine better from dedicated powerful headphone amps. That's not to say that speaker amps are lacking in details but niche headphone amps does it better. Everything is relative.

I've have had powerful stereo amps and I know what they are capable of. They drive my speakers. :)

This behemoth Sansui au-alpha 907mr is my favourite.
IMG_0498.jpg

The Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP that I had before would have been lovely with Susvara.
20170930_172935.jpg

This is my present Redgum Rgi125enr rated at 165w @ 8ohms, 265w @ 4 ohms.
20171026_223647.jpg

My present Kenwood KA3300D rated at 150w @ 8ohms.
IMG_1823.jpg

But this is my chosen one - Odyssey. The way it makes Susvara sound is superb. Details retrieval, slam and punch. Holographic 3D soundstage and extended treble. Tube amps sound more natural to me.
IMG_4725.jpg

Apologies for flooding the thread with pictures but pictures paints a thousand words.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #17,275 of 25,604
I get it now, why this big discussion about amplification for Susvara

I just switched my diablo into amp mode(balanced input, no usb or spdif) and used the RME as a dac(+13dBu, +6dB)

This opened up the sound even for my Arya. The low end feels tighter and deeper.

...the SE on RME still sound thin and borring. the diablo thickened the sound, well rounded

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #17,276 of 25,604
I know you have Auris Nirvana and that's why I know what you're hearing and it's great !

I have speaker amps and I've use speaker taps with Susvara. Speaker amps has a fullness and force of sound that is not felt in even powerful dedicated headphone amps but the latter (good ones) gets very close and also in my experience, dedicated powerful headphone amps has better precision, an incisiveness that is not there with speaker amps. Minute details shine better from dedicated powerful headphone amps. That's not to say that speaker amps are lacking in details but niche headphone amps does it better. Everything is relative.

I've have had powerful stereo amps and I know what they are capable of. They drive my speakers. :)

This behemoth Sansui au-alpha 907mr is my favourite.
IMG_0498.jpg

The Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP that I had before would have been lovely with Susvara.
20170930_172935.jpg

This is my present Redgum Rgi125enr rated at 165w @ 8ohms, 265w @ 4 ohms.
20171026_223647.jpg

My present Kenwood KA3300D rated at 150w @ 8ohms.
IMG_1823.jpg

But this is my chosen one - Odyssey. The way it makes Susvara sound is superb. Details retrieval, slam and punch. Holographic 3D soundstage and extended treble. Tube amps sound more natural to me.
IMG_4725.jpg

Apologies for flooding the thread with pictures but pictures paints a thousand words.

Love these pictures! That Odyssey is eye candy :wink: been hearing great things about this amp builder may need to check it out one day..

Below is my setup. I alternate running the Susvara on the Moon 330A (125W 8 Ohm / 250W 4 Ohm) and the Nirvana.

My impressions are generally similar to yours. The Susvara on the Nirvana plays super clean and accurate, beautiful indeed. And the Moon adds a hint of bass texture and stage size.

I frankly could be happy with both. I settled ok using the Moon for the Susvara, and the Nirvana for all the rest, at least for now :wink:

Attachments

• 57F8FF20-10A9-4E53-9FDA-C232DE19CC7E.jpeg
    57F8FF20-10A9-4E53-9FDA-C232DE19CC7E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #17,277 of 25,604
Love these pictures! That Odyssey is eye candy :wink: been hearing great things about this amp builder may need to check it out one day..

Below is my setup. I alternate running the Susvara on the Moon 330A (125W 8 Ohm / 250W 4 Ohm) and the Nirvana.

My impressions are generally similar to yours. The Susvara on the Nirvana plays super clean and accurate, beautiful indeed. And the Moon adds a hint of bass texture and stage size.

I frankly could be happy with both. I settled ok using the Moon for the Susvara, and the Nirvana for all the rest, at least for now :wink:

The poor Moon relegated to the lowest shelf. :)

Was never my intend to make stereo amps less appealing with Susvara because there's magic there. Makes Susvara almost speaker like. I also like vintage stereo amps of the 70s. The golden age of audio where vintage amps has that tint of tube sound likeness and slight warmth.

I put the top of the line Kenwood KA3300D on the table again next to Odyssey. Listening to Butterfly Lovers violin concerto, Susvara sounds incredible through the stereo amp but also with Odyssey.

IMG_4742.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #17,278 of 25,604
The poor Moon relegated to the lowest shelf. :)

Was never my intend to make stereo amps less appealing with Susvara because there's magic there. Makes Susvara almost speaker like. I also like vintage stereo amps of the 70s. The golden age of audio where vintage amps has that tint of tube sound likeness and slight warmth.

I put the top of the line Kenwood KA3300D on the table again next to Odyssey. Listening to Butterfly Lovers violin concerto, Susvara sounds incredible through the stereo amp but also with Odyssey.

IMG_4742.jpg
That was just real estate management :wink:

I’ll really have to try the Susvara with an Ultrasonic amp one day!!

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #17,279 of 25,604
I get it now, why this big discussion about amplification for Susvara

I know. Sadly and invariably, discussions about Susvara leads to the amps to use. My son has the Topping A90. It has the power to drive it but it's just not my kind of tune. It's lean and bright. Texture and fullness of sound is lacking. I also heard the Susvara through my friend's Cayin iha-6 which I feel didn't do it justice.

Susvara when properly amped, is immortal. It's as good as it gets.

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #17,280 of 25,604
I know. Sadly and invariably, discussions about Susvara leads to the amps to use. My son has the Topping A90. It has the power to drive it but it's just not my kind of tune. It's lean and bright. Texture and fullness of sound is lacking. I also heard the Susvara through my friend's Cayin iha-6 which I feel didn't do it justice.

Susvara when properly amped, is immortal. It's as good as it gets.
Yeah Im gonna cancel the TT2 and buy a good amp for my RME DAC FS. Susvara confused me alot, I didn´t believe the amp hype. Now that I got a taste from RME DAC FS + DIABLO(amp mode)...there are other things I don´t like about the TT2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back