HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 3, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #16,531 of 25,614
The Susvaras are in and I’m 3 songs in! Holy. Crap!!!! Hearing about just how accurate these are had me honestly lowering my expectations before putting them on my head but the claims are ridiculously spot on. I put them on my head fully not expecting to have a "wow" moment, but that moment came anyways. These sound like my Neumann KH120 studio monitors but just attached to my head.

Ridiculously accurate, no frequency is over or underemphasized. The only part I was worried about was the bass but paired with the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos, there is ample bass response and slam for my tastes and im not particularly left wanting. Color me ridiculously impressed. It’s easy to see why these are “the grail” already! I am shook.

Grats ! This combo is worth dying for. As I have said multiple times on the Ferrum thread, Susvara and OOR is a very nice pairing. The OOR is literally built for Susvara and all planars overall. The signature is just right with very nice slam.

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #16,532 of 25,614
Yup. Reminds me of my day 1 as well, lol.
The headphone experiences that grabbed me the VERY FIRST TIME i tried them:

1) open headphones - i can’t remember which one it was. Maybe hd600 or hd650. I was using the ath-m50x at the time

2) hd800 (when i used to think who would spend this much money on headphones). I bought them very soon after And built my system around them.

3) susvaras (through a moon 430had) Though i thought i could never afford them. Luckily (a few years later) work was good for/to me and was able to splurge in 2020 on these. And built my system around them.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #16,534 of 25,614
violectric v281 is not far from ideal in fact one of the best 'pairing' for the Susvara. Plenty of power to with the +12db switch at the bank. V281 is a warm sounding amp which complements the Susvara adding more ooomph which tc owners wants out of their abyss'. Try it out first before venturing into other Amp adventures.

Recently heard my son's V281 driving my Susvara and I thought that's pretty good.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #16,535 of 25,614
T
Loving loving these song choices! Not even my "typical" style of music but all of 'em I've listened to so far are beautiful tracks. Very soothing :)

This one really stuck out as I was listening through Lhasa's album:

That’s a classic reference track list :)

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #16,536 of 25,614
Loving loving these song choices! Not even my "typical" style of music but all of 'em I've listened to so far are beautiful tracks. Very soothing :)

This one really stuck out as I was listening through Lhasa's album:

I actually like the "The Living Road" album a lot from her. But if you really want some "fun" with an incredible level of production, "Alain Perez / El cuento de la buena pipa" is a must listen and it is my top reference album. How well a headphone can peel the levels of instruments in this production says a lot about that headphone - at least for me. Listen to the opening track and "Sin luz y sin agua", and it will be pure bliss with Susvara...

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #16,537 of 25,614
Recently heard my son's V281 driving my Susvara and I thought that's pretty good.
Thanks for reaffirming this point. Although I set aside sufficient fund for a good power-(speaker)-amp to drive the Sus (with V281 as a pre-amp), I can rest assure that when I'm looking for "that" amp, I can still get decent music out of the Sus with my V281.

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #16,538 of 25,614
IMG_20220628_124211.jpg

100W×2 (8Ω) from Soulnote A2, its power rating is actually slightly lower than the Hifiman EF1000. The Soulnote A2 is such a good pairing and even using a weaker source, the combo still provides a very enjoyable listening experience. The Susvara is extremepy well driven.

Those who are getting speaker amps, I dont really see a reason to get speaker amps with power that is greater than the EF1000 as Hifiman themselves, after so many years of engineering have settled on this specifications and power rating.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #16,539 of 25,614
IMG_20220628_124211.jpg

100W×2 (8Ω) from Soulnote A2, its power rating is actually slightly lower than the Hifiman EF1000. The Soulnote A2 is such a good pairing and even using a weaker source, the combo still provides a very enjoyable listening experience. The Susvara is extremepy well driven.

Those who are getting speaker amps, I dont really see a reason to get speaker amps with power that is greater than the EF1000 as Hifiman themselves, after so many years of engineering have settled on this specifications and power rating.
The EF1000 is mainly a 20W at 35 Ohms load into headphones from both output connections. This gives approx. 11.6W of power into the Susvara.
The speaker side of the EF1000 is 50W Class A and 110W Class A / B at 8 Ohms.
The EF1000 is also a hybrid amp (tune pre-amp, solid state power amp).

The Soulnote A2 technically and visually looks like a nice fully balanced Speaker Amp.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #16,540 of 25,614
The EF1000 is mainly a 20W at 35 Ohms load into headphones from both output connections. This gives approx. 11.6W of power into the Susvara.
The speaker side of the EF1000 is 50W Class A and 110W Class A / B at 8 Ohms.
The EF1000 is also a hybrid amp (tune pre-amp, solid state power amp).

The Soulnote A2 technically and visually looks like a nice fully balanced Speaker Amp.
Apologies some typo's now corrected and additional info added;

The EF1000 is mainly a Headphone Amp rated at 20W into a 35 Ohms load from both headphone output connections. This gives approx. 11.6W of power into the Susvara.
The Speaker Amp side of the EF1000 is 50W Class A and 110W Class A / B at 8 Ohms.
The EF1000 is also a hybrid amp (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp).

The Soulnote A2 technically and visually looks like a nice fully balanced Speaker Amp. Theoretically it gives approx. 13W of power into the Susvara.

However, the EF1000 was specifically designed and built to give a lot of current to the Susvara which is what Planar Magnetic headphones need to get the best out of them especially the Susvara.

Therefore it is not always about pure power output quantity values from the Headphone / Speaker Amps ! It's how this power is made up i.e. output quantities of current, voltage & resistance.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #16,541 of 25,614
Apologies some typo's now corrected and additional info added;

The EF1000 is mainly a Headphone Amp rated at 20W into a 35 Ohms load from both headphone output connections. This gives approx. 11.6W of power into the Susvara.
The Speaker Amp side of the EF1000 is 50W Class A and 110W Class A / B at 8 Ohms.
The EF1000 is also a hybrid amp (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp).

The Soulnote A2 technically and visually looks like a nice fully balanced Speaker Amp. Theoretically it gives approx. 13W of power into the Susvara.

However, the EF1000 was specifically designed and built to give a lot of current to the Susvara which is what Planar Magnetic headphones need to get the best out of them especially the Susvara.

Therefore it is not always about pure power output quantity values from the Headphone / Speaker Amps ! It's how this power is made up i.e. output quantities of current, voltage & resistance.
CFA3 still crushes both. 🤣

CFA3 mini still might crush. :grin:

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #16,542 of 25,614
Just got my susvaras :)

Connected to an EF6 and Ares 1

Could not be happier.
My main surprise is how good even "low quality" source material sounds.
As if its enhancing it instead of pointing out its flaws.

Looking at cables mostly for aesthetic purposes :)
And maybe a power regenerator seems like the next place to go

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #16,543 of 25,614
Who has thrown the Susvara on a tube amp? I know you need something in the $6k+ range to have enough power to even drive them from a tube amp but knowing how much I love my ZMF's on my Euforia, I'm curious how the Susvara performs on a tube amp that can drive it properly :)

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #16,544 of 25,614
Who has thrown the Susvara on a tube amp? I know you need something in the $6k+ range to have enough power to even drive them from a tube amp but knowing how much I love my ZMF's on my Euforia, I'm curious how the Susvara performs on a tube amp that can drive it properly :)

I really enjoyed them on the WA33 but it's not the most tubey amp out there. I also heard a lot of good things about the Feliks Audio Envy and Susvara combo but haven't heard it myself.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #16,545 of 25,614
Hook up your Euforia as a preamp to your OOR and find out! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back