HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 11, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #14,881 of 25,604
I am in the market for an easy to drive pair of cans for travel purposes but if I could travel with a Susvara instead, that would be something. I have been reading about how the Fiio M17 could get you there. Anyone been playing with this combo?

Hi, I've checked the combos that you've requested.

The M17 with DC power is the closest you'll get to a full blown desktop setup. It's an amazing device. Then comes the Romi LessFox BX2 plus (pure amp), Kann Cube and the iFi Micro BL (don't have a Diablo on hand). Even without the DC input, the M17 provides more stable current to the Susvaras than the other amps/daps that I've tried.

If you want consistent audio quality, the Meze Elites are amazing and easy to use. The LCD-5s are hungry for clean current and power so something like a Mojo 2 (even if it sounds good) pales in comparison against the battery powered or DC input mode Fiio M17.

I'm a road warrior too (at least before the COVID situation) and had a small bag with my Chord stack (TT2 + mScaler) that I used to lug around. Now with the new technological advancements, it's amazing how small devices such as the M17 (well, it's still a big brick) could make your portable audio life so much easier.

20220311_182918.jpg

test.jpg

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #14,882 of 25,604
iFi Audio Pro iCAN Signature VS Benchmark AHB2? Source Chord TT2. Thoughts?
I don't have the AHB2, but I find that I'm addicted to the iCAN Signature these days. The amount of customization that you could do is simply brilliant. Want more bass, twist the knob (there are 3 different settings). Want a different flavour? Turn on the tubes (there are even 2 levels of tubey goodness too). There is also the 3D/crossfeed knob with 3 more different levels too.

If you get the chance, audition the iCAN Sig and you might be surprised like I was.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #14,883 of 25,604
I don't have the AHB2, but I find that I'm addicted to the iCAN Signature these days. The amount of customization that you could do is simply brilliant. Want more bass, twist the knob (there are 3 different settings). Want a different flavour? Turn on the tubes (there are even 2 levels of tubey goodness too). There is also the 3D/crossfeed knob with 3 more different levels too.

If you get the chance, audition the iCAN Sig and you might be surprised like I was.
That sounds fun. How do they have a tube mode? Tubes inside? Easily replaceable? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #14,884 of 25,604
That sounds fun. How do they have a tube mode? Tubes inside? Easily replaceable? Thanks.
Yes, along with the solid state mode, the iCAN Signature has a tube inside, and there are users on Head-Fi whom rolled them and used other types to change the sound signature too. :thumbsup:

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #14,885 of 25,604
Yes, along with the solid state mode, the iCAN Signature has a tube inside, and there are users on Head-Fi whom rolled them and used other types to change the sound signature too. :thumbsup:

The iCan Signature does pique my interest as something that could replace both my tube and SS setup in one compact unit...do you know for the multiple headphone outputs, can you have multiple headphones plugged in at the same time and switch between them? I see an input switcher, but don't see an output switcher (ie. switch between the SS output and the XLR output and the 4.4 output).

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #14,886 of 25,604
The iCan Signature does pique my interest as something that could replace both my tube and SS setup in one compact unit...do you know for the multiple headphone outputs, can you have multiple headphones plugged in at the same time and switch between them? I see an input switcher, but don't see an output switcher (ie. switch between the SS output and the XLR output and the 4.4 output).
There is no output selector, and I haven't tried, but this is the answer from the official iFi FAQ page:

https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/is-it-possible-to-power-two-headphones-independently/

"The Pro iCAN/Pro iCAN Signature is inherently balanced and offers only a single pair of balanced channels, optimised for sound quality. Having multiple independent headphone outputs means essentially having two fully separate amplifiers.
Some low-end headphone amplifiers are built like this with four, or even eight separate headphone channels. If using multiple Pro iCAN/Pro iCAN Signature is not possible (expense, etc), individual headphone amplifiers per musician are recommended.
The intention of the Pro iCAN/Pro iCAN Signature is to offer the recording/mastering engineer (or the audiophile) an ultimate monitor system using headphones while providing an experience akin to large monitor speakers or indeed to drive these speakers (or both)."

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #14,887 of 25,604
Sounds like fun. Can it power floor standing speaker? Reason I have the AHB2 is I plan to run them in dual mono in the future for bigger speakers.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #14,888 of 25,604
Sounds like fun. Can it power floor standing speaker? Reason I have the AHB2 is I plan to run them in dual mono in the future for bigger speakers.
it’s only 3 pin xlr ie pre outs , it makes for an excellent pre amp since the tubes and all the feaatires apply to the ores , actually the 3d cross feed function has a secondary circuit solely for pre out quite cool , also tube swapping is as simple as taking restainjng screws out ( long ones) the sliding pcb board out then you can pop the tubes out by hand , will void any warranty however if it’s obvious you’ve opened it haha

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #14,889 of 25,604
I'm selling my 3 week old Susvara in case anyone is on this thread to read up on it.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #14,890 of 25,604
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #14,891 of 25,604
It required an amplifier I could not afford. While it sounded fantastic on the four different amps I had on it, in the end, I couldn't squeeze out everything that was capable of with what I was willing to spend on amplification.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #14,892 of 25,604
Frankly, I always felt it sounded relatively flat. It never really wowed me. It does many things amazingly well but it's almost too revealing. I never really enjoyed it. Every time I listened I was always in analysis mode and not in enjoyment mode. I want a more lush, full sound and it always sounded anemic to me. I need more meat on the bones.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #14,893 of 25,604
Frankly, I always felt it sounded relatively flat. It never really wowed me. It does many things amazingly well but it's almost too revealing. I never really enjoyed it. Every time I listened I was always in analysis mode and not in enjoyment mode. I want a more lush, full sound and it always sounded anemic to me. I need more meat on the bones.
You should audition the Solitaire P at some point. It sacrifices the pristine clarity of the Susvara, and adds a fuller bottom end, which gives it a much less analytical feel that I think a lot of listeners might prefer overall. Based on my very limited time with it so far, it still benefits from a powerful (speaker, in my case) amp even though it's far more efficient than a Susvara.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #14,895 of 25,604
Susvara sounds flat and lifeless when not amped properly. What headphone do you plan to switch to?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back