HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 12, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #14,911 of 25,888
Recoding quality of our songs can be the key to enjoying summit fi set up or not. With most mainstream recording, Mid-Fi set up will be much closer in quality to Summit-Fi set up, of course due to limitation of the recording itself (the amount of detail, the soundstage/imaging quality, dynamic range etc). However, when we play songs with nice recording, the differences will pull apart.
Agreed. With my set-ups now, poorly recorded tracks are glaring. Find myself sometimes check my headphones to see if they are ok (which they are )

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #14,913 of 25,888
Are the Elites pretty much more detailed Empys? Do they still have the mid bass hump?
I have the Susvara and the Elite, and I previously owned the Empys.

The Elite does not have the mid-bass hump that plagued my Empys. They are far more refined - detailed with excellent micro-resolution and a much faster transient response. They soundstage very well with excellent instrument separation and "air".

I prefer the sound quality of my Elite when compared to my Susvara because they have a better musical timbre/tone and they are much easier to drive. I have never found an amplifier that drives my Susvara well. I have tried, and sold, a Nimbus US4, an Audio-GD M19, an iFi Pro Can, and I am presently using either a Kinki Vision Studio THR or a V281 headphone amplifier with imperfect sound quality results.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #14,914 of 25,888

The Elite does not have the mid-bass hump that plagued my Empys. They are far more refined - detailed with excellent micro-resolution and a much faster transient response. They soundstage very well with excellent instrument separation and "air".

I prefer the sound quality of my Elite when compared to my Susvara because they have a better musical timbre/tone and they are much easier to drive. I have never found an amplifier that drives my Susvara well. I have tried, and sold, a Nimbus US4, an Audio-GD M19, an iFi Pro Can, and I am presently using either a Kinki Vision Studio THR or a V281 headphone amplifier with imperfect sound quality results.

Jeff.
That's your cue, @Bonesy Jonesy!

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #14,915 of 25,888

Jeff.
So you surely must have a reference point(amp) in order to asses the lack of performance of all your amps so far?

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #14,916 of 25,888
Susvara on the CA1000 sounded great. It didn’t sound like the Susvara took a step back to the levels of He1000se or Meze Elite, etc., which can happen on subpar amplification. The Susvara sounded like a proper Susvara. If you have access to a demo, I urge you to try it.
Thank you for posting your feedback, I haven't heard the new CA1000 but now you've piqued my interest.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #14,917 of 25,888

Jeff.
Wow - my us4 drives the susvara very well - to my ears

But of course it is all subjective - and that’s all good

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #14,918 of 25,888
1647153580510.gif

And let’s not forget the bakoon/enleum entourage :)

Ps: I am confident those amps and the ef1000 are very capable drivers of the susvaras

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #14,919 of 25,888
Wow - my us4 drives the susvara very well - to my ears
Well, me too! Ain't that just great? I have to add that in order to finally settle down with the Susvara/US4 pairing in peace, I had to exorcise a rather pesky noise generating demon from my system : that noisy demon's name is "Greener," as in the "amp... errr grass is always greener elsewhere," and I think "Greener" is the biggest second-guessing, party-p**ping, and joy-killing companion to bring to any Susvara auditioning party, regardless of whatever amp one is using on any given occasion!

Unfortunately, the never-ending discussion of amp-rolling options on this form, a discussion which is often very useful and informative, also makes "Greener" one of the forum's permanent residents. In my opinion most Susvara-owning head-fi regulars could use an occasional exorcism--sometimes, more than one--in order to be able to enjoy the superlatively exquisite sonic delights these cans are often capable of. Of course mileages may vary.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #14,920 of 25,888
And let’s not forget the bakoon/enleum entourage :)

Ps: I am confident those amps and the ef1000 are very capable drivers of the susvaras

Considering all the feedback all three are solid choices for Susvara. Well, at least solid enough to enjoy these cans without having second thoughts about anything better. At least that's what I gather from being up to speed with some 400 pages of this thread :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 13, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #14,921 of 25,888
How are you enjoying your Weiss DACs?
I could not be happier. As I had mentioned in earlier posts they made me rethink my TT2:Scaler combo - from which I moved on. The Mescalero with the Weiss is majic. It is alarmist like having 2 separate amps when fed through each. The Weiss alone have a more punch then feed through the Mscaler the music is smoother, warm/neutral (if that makes sense) while retaining all the detail.

These DAC’s can show every flaw in a recording though. So much so that I though a couple of time something was wrong with the headphones I was using.

They work very well with Chord amps. I am using the Ttoby and Etude to great effect.

At no point have I thought , “what if I tried/added this?” And this is coming from someone who has been chasing that End game setup for the last 18 years moving through both 2 channel and headphone set-ups along the way.

I think my only regret is not keeping my Elite’s long enough to listen to them through my most current set-up.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #14,922 of 25,888
How are you enjoying your Weiss DACs?
…and I have to give a shout out to my audio dealer who with some creative “pencil sharpening”, trade-ins and generosity , would not have been able to make their acquisition possible as they are next-level expensive (for me at least)

Mar 13, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #14,923 of 25,888
20220313_161813.jpg

Finally joined the club, have been listening to it for 9 hours straight. The staging and clarity is so much better than the HEK V2 IMO, definitely much more resolving than I had thought. Detail retrieval is the main draw of these for sure, I am hearing things that I couldn't with the HEK. Physically, the Susvara is more comfortable IMO, its weight felt more evenly distributed.

With that said, the HEK has a unique tone to the point that I couldn't really say the Susvara is a 1:1 upgrade per se, its different enough to stand on its own. I could see why some in the thread would prefer the HEK more.

Not me though, I think the Susvara is really "it" for me, acoustics felt very real, as if the musician was playing just right in front of me.

Maybe the controversial part I am going to say (for this thread; it seems to be more about amps than the headphone itself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ), the Flux FA-10 seems be enough to drive the Susvara pleasantly. It could be because I am relatively easy to please, but I feel that the quality coming out of the Susvara is already miles ahead of what I was expecting

I was planning to get the AHB2 for speakers (didn't; speakers just would not work in my situation), but I figured the risk (albeit from what I gathered here, seems to be not a very high chance if I am not drunk) of damaging my headphones would definitely cause some thoughts to linger, the fear of accidentally popping the Susvara will surely be there for me.

With that said, I'd still keep an open mind on further amplification for the Susvara for sure (namely, I had been eyeing Cayin's HA-300b for sometime, as well as waiting for Holo Audio's Bliss), but I feel that the FA-10 is competent enough to hold its own.

Very happy with what I have acquired, I am going back to listening:)

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #14,924 of 25,888
20220313_161813.jpg

Finally joined the club, have been listening to it for 9 hours straight. The staging and clarity is so much better than the HEK V2 IMO, definitely much more resolving than I had thought. Detail retrieval is the main draw of these for sure, I am hearing things that I couldn't with the HEK. Physically, the Susvara is more comfortable IMO, its weight felt more evenly distributed.

With that said, the HEK has a unique tone to the point that I couldn't really say the Susvara is a 1:1 upgrade per se, its different enough to stand on its own. I could see why some in the thread would prefer the HEK more.

Not me though, I think the Susvara is really "it" for me, acoustics felt very real, as if the musician was playing just right in front of me.

Maybe the controversial part I am going to say (for this thread; it seems to be more about amps than the headphone itself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ), the Flux FA-10 seems be enough to drive the Susvara pleasantly. It could be because I am relatively easy to please, but I feel that the quality coming out of the Susvara is already miles ahead of what I was expecting

I was planning to get the AHB2 for speakers (didn't; speakers just would not work in my situation), but I figured the risk (albeit from what I gathered here, seems to be not a very high chance if I am not drunk) of damaging my headphones would definitely cause some thoughts to linger, the fear of accidentally popping the Susvara will surely be there for me.

With that said, I'd still keep an open mind on further amplification for the Susvara for sure (namely, I had been eyeing Cayin's HA-300b for sometime, as well as waiting for Holo Audio's Bliss), but I feel that the FA-10 is competent enough to hold its own.

Very happy with what I have acquired, I am going back to listening:)
I do encourage you to try some speaker amps. They may surprise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back