HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #14,941 of 25,604
It does not drive the Susvara. I was at full volume and it wasn't particularly loud.
How was the sound quality? I'm not looking to drive the hell out of the Sus, right now I use a Conductor 3XP for bedside listening. That's what this would be taking a run at, potentially.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #14,942 of 25,604
It does not drive the Susvara. I was at full volume and it wasn't particularly loud.
Sounds like your preamp wasn't set up right, the EF400 will make you def in short order if you turn it up all the way with full input signal.

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #14,943 of 25,604
Finally received this cable from Peter last night and O.M.G. I’ve never heard Susvara as good as this before. Absolutely mind-blowing. I first listened to this cable with SR1a last night (Peter made a special adapter for me to be able to use it with SR1a) and I couldn’t stop listening to my SR1a for 5-6 hours as the SR1a never sounded better. Thank you for making me aware of this cable! Now I’m thinking perhaps I should order another one for the TC, unless Peter can make an adapter on the headphone end so I can use it with TC as well 😁

5B6AA40D-46A8-4930-8BBC-8E72C2CF64EA.jpeg
Awesome. I can't wait for Peter to send the adapter for my TCs. TCs sound great as is so the C15 should be verrry interesting.

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #14,944 of 25,604
Demoing in a convention like Canjam is a poor way to make a conclusion on gear with all the interference going on. EF400 has enough power so it's not a lack of power that's the issue but something else, be it implementation, environment or chain issues.

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #14,945 of 25,604
Sounds like your preamp wasn't set up right, the EF400 will make you def in short order if you turn it up all the way with full input signal.
What preamp? I went to the HFM table at CanJam NYC and listened to the Susvara plugged directly into the EF400. If there was a gain setting or other issue, that was on Hifiman.

Regarding the other question about sound quality, it was fine I guess, although it didn't spend much time with it after I realized it was underpowered for the task at hand.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #14,947 of 25,604
Finally feels like all the pieces of the puzzle were found. This sounds amazing to my ears. Details in signature.

setup.jpg

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #14,949 of 25,604
@Pashmeister @OneEyedHito

Hey guys, hope all is well. I am going to order a KC62 to add to my Susvara setup. Do I need to worry about the phase setting on the subwoofer? If so, how do I discern which setting I should have it on. Thanks.

Also, any tips on integrating the sub with the susvaras? Do you setup a high pass filter on the cans or leave it stock? Thanks.

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #14,950 of 25,604
I currently have a Violectric v550 Pro. Do you think it drives Susvara well ?
It does pretty well IMO. I like the overall tonality and timbre of the Susvara better when working it from the v550 in my setup, albeit at the sacrifice of a bit of impact vs when working the Susvara from the Ferrum Orr/Hypsos in the same setup. I picked up the Orr/Hypsos because of the chatter around how well it works for the Susvara, but honestly the v550 sounds pretty good to me. I think it comes down to a matter of personal preferences.

TL;DR If I had to pick only one amplifier to use and Susvara was my only headphone - I'd keep the v550. The Susvara sounds a bit richer from the v550 but there is a slight bit more slam on the Orr/Hypsos, but the sound is leaner, more linear to me. YMMV

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #14,951 of 25,604
@Pashmeister @OneEyedHito

Hey guys, hope all is well. I am going to order a KC62 to add to my Susvara setup. Do I need to worry about the phase setting on the subwoofer? If so, how do I discern which setting I should have it on. Thanks.

Also, any tips on integrating the sub with the susvaras? Do you setup a high pass filter on the cans or leave it stock? Thanks.
Congrats! The KC62 fires out of both ends so phase is less important than on a front firing sub facing or facing away from your listening position and needing phase adjustment. You can just flip the switch back and forth and leave it on the setting that offers a “cleaner” bass reproduction. You’ll be able to hear a difference albeit slight.

As for integration what are you connecting the KC62 to?

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #14,952 of 25,604
Congrats! The KC62 fires out of both ends so phase is less important than on a front firing sub facing or facing away from your listening position and needing phase adjustment. You can just flip the switch back and forth and leave it on the setting that offers a “cleaner” bass reproduction. You’ll be able to hear a difference albeit slight.

As for integration what are you connecting the KC62 to?
PC > Chord TT2 > Benchmark AHB2. Susvara will be powered by the AHB2 and I will be using the RCA outs of the TT2 for the subwoofer. Spoke with Chord. This should work.

How do you have your sub setup wired up? Any tips?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #14,954 of 25,604
PC > Chord TT2 > Benchmark AHB2. Susvara will be powered by the AHB2 and I will be using the RCA outs of the TT2 for the subwoofer. Spoke with Chord. This should work.

If you use the RCA out. Your sub would have to have Balanced input or you have to use a rca splitter to get signal to sub.

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #14,955 of 25,604

I have not tried using xlr and rca connections of TT2 simultaneously, but I’ve connected a sub through a separate tube preamplifier with two sets of rca outputs, and currently through my Burson Soloist GT which has an inherent sub out function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back