HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #13,786 of 25,604
Just someone I know. :relaxed: Not sure where you're located, but as I posted recently, The Source AV in Torrance, CA has the Stax 009S, Stax 007 (I think), Audeze CRBN, and DCA Voce available for audition through a BHSE driven by a Chord DAVE. They told me they expect to see the Stax X9000 at the store in a couple of months, but given the current supply issues, I took that with a grain of salt. You probably don't need to listen to the SGL Sr. to get a sense of whether the estat sound is to your tastes. That would be like holding out for a LaFerrari test drive to see if you like performance sports cars in general. :relaxed:
yah, im local to TSAV. 009S are super nice but im not sure they are enough to convince me to switch all the way to estats (which would probabaly entail a BHSE at the minimum and a T2 more likely). More than just "switching to sports cars" I think its far more like owning a few fairly modern F-cars (say a 458 and 812) and wondering how you would like an F40. TBH, if I get into estats it will probably be with a shang sr (plus an HE60 as soon as I have an energizer cause that thing is amazing) so I realy would like to try it before I plonk down 5 figured for a transducer alone

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #13,787 of 25,604
Interesting critique, and consistent with estats being your first love. I actually think the Susvara's soundstaging is superb overall, but as with bass, you'll need a powerful amp to really hear its full potential there. Certainly some estats (009S and SGL Jr., e.g.) have a more precise and layered soundstage, but they aren't dramatically larger in dimension IMO. I haven't heard the SGL Sr. yet, but the Susvara has more weight than the SGL Jr., if that means bass authority. Estats will always outdo planars for texture on the whole, just due to physics.

The beauty of the Susvara is that it may not be the absolute best in any one aspect, but it's far above average at everything, and it's all in wonderful balance. That still makes it the one headphone I'd own if I could only own one. Looking forward to auditioning the SGL Sr. and Stax X9000 to see it they can displace it. :relaxed:

I wouldn't really think of it as a critique, just one area where performance can be pushed further, just like everything else I've heard. :) To your point, I think it can be hard to define soundstaging. To me, it's not simply about width or depth, although I know that's historically how it's thought of. It's more of what you mention about precise layering, within adequate depth and width. Stats are really good with this, and the 009 is noticeably better (but again, comes at the cost of harshness/brightness of it).

I also agree that the point of completeness is also very important, in addition to timbre. As many are saying, if you play around with the sound much there is the risk of taking away from that. At a certain price point, the 009 and Susvara would be my top two candidates if I could only own one headphone forever. The Susvara is excellent and it's actually the only thing I miss that I've sold in the past year or so.

I should think that TOTL cans have been out of reach for the 'masses' since they've existed, and I shouldn't think they would have much interest in $5K headphones to begin with. I'd be more concerned about the prices being out of reach for relatively well-off audio enthusiasts....

I meant the masses of head-fi. As in many of the people that frequent the Summit-fi forums, so exactly the group your mentioning. Obviously we're still talking about people privileged enough to be able to spend $5k~ on headphones, so I'm not stating it in some 'woe is me' fashion, but we are seeing a shift where some are beginning to be priced out that previously would've jumped on any new launch. Ijs the technology is there and always will be, but it's going to be out of reach for many.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #13,788 of 25,604
I've always stored my headphones on stands with dust bags over them, a recent rat problem ( he got my dogs toys out last night, thinks he is invited) anyway, this has got me wondering if I should find a new place ( safer, smart Lil guy likes to chew) ...to store my babies, how do you think a padded cooler would work? About like a dry box I guess??

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #13,789 of 25,604
I've always stored my headphones on stands with dust bags over them, a recent rat problem ( he got my dogs toys out last night, thinks he is invited) anyway, this has got me wondering if I should find a new place ( safer, smart Lil guy likes to chew) ...to store my babies, how do you think a padded cooler would work? About like a dry box I guess??
Not being a smart ass but I’d think you’d start with the rat problem and in the meantime put your headphones in a drawer or cabinet that can’t be accessed by the little varmint. I have a dekoni hard case but they aren’t cheap and you’d need one for each of your cans so I’d just go the cabinet or drawer route and focus on getting him outdoors.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #13,790 of 25,604
Eradicate the vermin :)

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #13,791 of 25,604
Not being a smart ass but I’d think you’d start with the rat problem and in the meantime put your headphones in a drawer or cabinet that can’t be accessed by the little varmint. I have a dekoni hard case but they aren’t cheap and you’d need one for each of your cans so I’d just go the cabinet or drawer route and focus on getting him outdoors.
No you are 💯 right, he has escaped death more than the great Houdini, he crawled out of a rat trap twice! He stole bacon out of my electric rat box, he has escaped drowning (bucket) he has also apparently escaped poisoning! He ate a block of poison a week ago and apparently hasn't died yet (I don't think I have two) he moves small tables, drug out dog toys from my girls toy box. He is huge I saw him after he escaped the trap the first time, we heard it set off, and then heard him dragging it around lol by the time I got in the room he was on the run

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #13,793 of 25,604
No you are 💯 right, he has escaped death more than the great Houdini, he crawled out of a rat trap twice! He stole bacon out of my electric rat box, he has escaped drowning (bucket) he has also apparently escaped poisoning! He ate a block of poison a week ago and apparently hasn't died yet (I don't think I have two) he moves small tables, drug out dog toys from my girls toy box. He is huge I saw him after he escaped the trap the first time, we heard it set off, and then heard him dragging it around lol by the time I got in the room he was on the run
Holy Rat! You could start a YouTube channel on him though and monetize this fiasco. Good luck with him man. They are as smart as humans in some areas.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #13,796 of 25,604
🤣 I just noticed you are in big T so I am sure he is used to running with the bulls so to speak.
Haa yep yep I guess everything and animal is just bigger in big T lol. Kinda hate to kill the thing at this point but he crapped on the guest bed, my wife wasn't to happy, so he's gotta go 😆

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #13,797 of 25,604
Holy Rat! You could start a YouTube channel on him though and monetize this fiasco. Good luck with him man. They are as smart as humans in some areas.
Sounds like we know how OP should fund his shang sr

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #13,798 of 25,604
I wouldn't really think of it as a critique, just one area where performance can be pushed further, just like everything else I've heard. :)
Just to be clear, a critique doesn't imply being critical, it just means you offered an assessment. :relaxed:

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #13,799 of 25,604
Just to be clear, a critique doesn't imply being critical, it just means you offered an assessment. :relaxed:

I know, but it often has a negative connotation on here (which it probably shouldn't). I'm a bit more critical of gear in general, so that was just me being mindful of how it's taken sometimes (not by you, but sometimes by others). :)

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #13,800 of 25,604
I think I'm going to let go of my safety blanket (Auralic Taurus Mkii) I was holding onto it for my Hekv2, but HEk sounds amazing on the Kinki THR-1 as does Sus, if Kinki goes toes up, I'll just have to buy a Volot or another Thr-1, think I'll list it. Even though it does a good job with Susvara, just not as good as Kinki. Kinki flexes every vein in Susvara.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back