HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 15, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #13,081 of 25,604
The Dave and AHB2 was not a good pairing to my ears. To Bright and Cold, like a negative degree day in January with a blanket of snow on the ground and no cloud cover in the air......... I can't comment on the TT2 though but thought I would offer how I heard the other Chord offering with the AHB2.

Does the AHB2 sound cold to you regardless of DAC ?

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #13,083 of 25,604
This is for everyone

When I hear the term "fun" or "musical" to me that indicates a warm sound because it gets juxtaposed to being "cold, thin and analytical". The latter is typically how THX SS class D amps are described.

So when I hear the term "fun, musical and synergy" or loud, but not "properly" driven, does this just come down to being warm again because the typical preference here is a class A type SS or tubes ? Because something like the bakoon seems to be described as a warm SS amp that is like a tube amp without being one.. Because warm will always sound fuller sounding like how people describe tubes. I don't think I have ever read tubes making the sound less fun, musical, more analytical and such.

Short version - does "properly driven" despite power and loudness just means warm ?

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #13,084 of 25,604
So what's the word on the street about the Susvara successor now?

Audeze released the LCD-5, Meze released the Elite, Stax released the X9000, DCA released the Stealth, Abyss released the on-the-cusp Diana TC, and even T+A released the Solitaire P.

Even if you might argue the Susvara is still more than competitive, it's not really the talk of the town anymore. And for better or worse, I've come to expect HiFiMAN to be a bit more fast paced with their R&D and flagship releases.
I have heard or own all of the TOTL HP’s out there for the most part and even with all the new models recently nothing has IMHO overtaken the susvara with the possible exception of the solitaire P but that is just a subjective judgment…the abyss TC also has not been overtaken so I see no reason for Hifiman to rush anything out to market unless it is truly a revelation

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #13,085 of 25,604
Wondering what you all think ...

I have the Chord TT2 as my Dac/Preamp coupled with the Benchmark AHB2. I'm debating on buying the Bakoon 13r. Wondering if anyone can shed light on this synergy and if they have used each of these amps. Thanks.

@Sajid Amit
I can heartily recommend the 13r if you own or plan to own the susvara…it really is a great match

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #13,086 of 25,604
I have heard or own all of the TOTL HP’s out there for the most part and even with all the new models recently nothing has IMHO overtaken the susvara with the possible exception of the solitaire P but that is just a subjective judgment…the abyss TC also has not been overtaken so I see no reason for Hifiman to rush anything out to market unless it is truly a revelation
I would take a step further to argue that Hifiman has made many attempts in effect to make a 35-ohm, 106 dB-sensitivity version of Susvara at a lower price point (I'm using Focal Stellia numbers here) and has yet to produce a success or a near success.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #13,087 of 25,604
This is for everyone

When I hear the term "fun" or "musical" to me that indicates a warm sound because it gets juxtaposed to being "cold, thin and analytical". The latter is typically how THX SS class D amps are described.

So when I hear the term "fun, musical and synergy" or loud, but not "properly" driven, does this just come down to being warm again because the typical preference here is a class A type SS or tubes ? Because something like the bakoon seems to be described as a warm SS amp that is like a tube amp without being one.. Because warm will always sound fuller sounding like how people describe tubes. I don't think I have ever read tubes making the sound less fun, musical, more analytical and such.

Short version - does "properly driven" despite power and loudness just means warm ?
I don't think so - that would equate 'warm' with 'lack of bass, lack of mids, lack of treble' even though what you do get IS loud. Just goes kinda cheap and tinny sounding, depending on the amp used, of course. But I've had amps that sound awesome with Utopia, but crap with Susvara....

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #13,088 of 25,604
I would take a step further to argue that Hifiman has made many attempts in effect to make a 35-ohm, 106 dB-sensitivity version of Susvara at a lower price point (I'm using Focal Stellia numbers here) and has yet to produce a success or a near success.
... but I'd imagine they will continue to explore an easier-to-drive Susvara at whatever price, 'cause at some point they'll hit the jackpot, or one of their competitors will - I don't care who makes it - I'd just like to see headphones like that! :)

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #13,090 of 25,604
Wish I read this earlier. I just ordered these pads. I will see how bad they are in the bass. I assume you are not rocking these anymore are you back to stock pads?
Oh wow, I forgot all about that test, heh. I only listened with those ZMF pads for a couple hours and no longer even have them, since I sold the headphones that went along with them.

Not so long ago, I did do some listening with the Dekoni Hybrid pads for a few days They're quite good and, as has been mentioned, are pretty close to the stock pads in terms of tonality. Punchier though (which is how I've felt about all non-stock pads I've ever tried). Also, tonality as well as overall presentation is more even and "coherent" than the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin, IMO (even though I did find the FSS pads pretty entertaining, for a while). In the end, I reverted back to stock, although I couldn't put my finger on what it is that I like better about the stock pads versus the Dekoni Hybrids, exactly...

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #13,091 of 25,604
How long did you work at Kodak before transferring to IBM...?

I joke.

No, I was talking from a consumer perspective, in the broader sense or the selfish one.

I like new stuff and seeing companies go after that. And as mentioned above, Focal and the Utopia included, but personally I am less interested in their sound signature.

I wondered if there was any word on the street, but the answer I guess is "nothing". And that's alright, I just hoped HiFiMAN would be pushing the envelope and coming out with something better, in the endless pursuit of better, as they had done almost too frequently until the Susvara was released.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #13,093 of 25,604
Any ideas if the Serene can handle the Susvara using XLR1? @OneEyedHito, @GoldenOne have any of you tried?
Yes it is actually the recommended way to use the Serene with the Susvara by Tim at Kitsune. Trevor at Norne makes an adapter for the 2 XLR into 1 and Tim will sometimes have a few in stock he can sell with a Serene. I have one of the adapters but not a Serene right now. @GoldenOne talks about it his Serene video I believe, worth giving a watch and a :thumbsup: if you haven't.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #13,094 of 25,604
Hello ,

I am a happy owner of a HEKSE and I am seriously thinking of upgrading to Susvara.

Now that they have the 3.5mm connectors my investment in cables will be preserved.
What I am a little bit afraid is that my investment in Dacs, Daps and amplifiers wont or at least not fully.
The HEKSE has been a friendly partner, adapting easyly to my different gear.
I know that the Susvara is a pretty hungry beast that needs a lot of juice to deliver.
=======================================================
How will it be able to drive the Susvara with the following gear:

- Shanling M6 PRO (1st model with AK4497)
provides 600mW 32Ω

-> YES (100%) - NO (degraded quality) - LIMITED (limited quality)

- CHORD HUGO 2
provides 94mW 300Ω; 740mW 32Ω ; 1050mW 8Ω

- Questyle CMA 12 MASTER
provides 825mW 300Ω; 2W 32Ω

=======================================================

Thank you so much if someone can give me a sense, a guidance, his experience ?
:)
Chord Hugo 2 - Not very well at all (voice of experience).

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #13,095 of 25,604
I'm one as well. I wouldn't even think to 'pad roll' on these. I figure Hifiman must know best what their headphones should sound like and they use those pads for that. If I want a different sound signature, I might try EQ, or I'll sell the Susvara's and get something I like better. But I can certainly see how others would approach it totally differently, so however you like the sound, it's all good!
I use my Susvaras with the stock pads and stock cable and they sound amazing with my average headphone system :) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back