HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #11,086 of 25,662
I will if I get the chance to.

The EF1000 is actually a 50w speaker amp with a headphone out, so that'd explain why it works with susvara well.

That being said, whilst I love hifiman headphones, their source gear typically hasn't been great so I'd be very hesitant to buy one
Actually that is not strictly true as foremost it is a Headphone Amp specifically for the Susvara with the Speaker Amp side being secondary.
It's an amazing Amp (build quality wise and performance wise and flexibility wise) especially hooked up to an excellent digital source via the CD and DAC RCA single ended inputs.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #11,087 of 25,662
I barely trust them with building a transducer. Buying their amps is pushing it for my taste

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #11,088 of 25,662
I barely trust them with building a transducer. Buying their amps is pushing it for my taste
That'd be like buying an electrostatic headphone designed by WOO. 🤣

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #11,089 of 25,662
the combination of the remarkable form factor of the bakoon 13r along with the terrific presentation with the susvara make it my choice...

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #11,090 of 25,662
Adding to the never ending discussion of amps for Susvara.. So, I'm looking to get an amp to pair with my RME ADI 2 DAC.

Currently considering Nimbus, Bakoon 13r, or waiting for Enleum 23r. It seems to me that both nimbus and bakoon seem to adored by most on this thread. Which of these would be better for me to pair with the RME DAC and Susvara?

Are there any other amps for consideration around this 4-5k price range? Or any cheaper alternatives that give similar performance?

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #11,091 of 25,662
Adding to the never ending discussion of amps for Susvara.. So, I'm looking to get an amp to pair with my RME ADI 2 DAC.

Currently considering Nimbus, Bakoon 13r, or waiting for Enleum 23r. It seems to me that both nimbus and bakoon seem to adored by most on this thread. Which of these would be better for me to pair with the RME DAC and Susvara?

Are there any other amps for consideration around this 4-5k price range? Or any cheaper alternatives that give similar performance?

For the Susvara specifically, if you're going to spend $4-5k, I would strongly consider a true speaker amp. And preferably SS, as I personally think the Susvara probably benefits best from one. I would see if I could get a dealer to either loan you or let you audition the nimbus or bakoon + speaker amps and decide from there if possible. I know that's not always easy to do though.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #11,092 of 25,662
For the Susvara specifically, if you're going to spend $4-5k, I would strongly consider a true speaker amp. And preferably SS, as I personally think the Susvara probably benefits best from one. I would see if I could get a dealer to either loan you or let you audition the nimbus or bakoon + speaker amps and decide from there if possible. I know that's not always easy to do though.
Thats more or less how I felt. I thought I'd probably end up deciding between the nimbus and the bakoon. Unfortunately I don't have the option to loan or audition either at the moment.

Thats why I'm trying to guage the opinions of the members here to figure out which would be better for my needs. Do you think one is better than the other? Also do you have any thoughts on bakoon's predecessor Enleum 23r?

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #11,093 of 25,662

The Niimbus is over $6k.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #11,096 of 25,662
Thats more or less how I felt. I thought I'd probably end up deciding between the nimbus and the bakoon. Unfortunately I don't have the option to loan or audition either at the moment.

Thats why I'm trying to guage the opinions of the members here to figure out which would be better for my needs. Do you think one is better than the other? Also do you have any thoughts on bakoon's predecessor Enleum 23r?

Gotcha, makes sense. I know not being able to makes it harder.

I can't speak to what's better. Haven't heard them. I would say don't stress too much, as ultimately there are plenty amps that sound great with the Susvara. This thread is proof of that and you've already identified great options. Pull the trigger on one of the best available to you and I'm sure you'll enjoy. :)

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #11,097 of 25,662

SoundNews has a new review on the Burson Timekeeper 3i. See section VII "Passing the Susvara Test." He gives a strong recommendation for driving the Susvara with the Timekeeper's speaker taps. In answering one of the questions in the comments, he discusses why he uses two AHB2 in Bridge Mode to drive his Susvara but why using the Timekeeper 3i for music enjoyment might be a better solution. I think the Timekeeper 3i is around $2500, putting out 100W Class A/B to the speaker connections. The headphone out is 2W Class A which wouldn't work for our Susvara's but should be good for other headphones in your selection. I'm looking to upgrade my Flux FA10. The VOLOT and the Timekeeper 3i are on my shortlist.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #11,098 of 25,662
Hey everyone! Coming from the IEM side of the hobby. Joining the Sus gang, the only headphone I’ve tried was a Focal Clear and I wasn’t too much of a fan. All the praise about the Susvara made me want to go straight ”to the top” but I am doing it a little weird. Just buying the headphone for now and seeing how I find the overall feel/fit/feeling of it on my head first, then I plan to jump head first into the amp rabbit hole if I can get used to wearing headphones after being an IEM guy basically my whole life.

Looking forward to it!

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #11,100 of 25,662
Hey everyone! Coming from the IEM side of the hobby. Joining the Sus gang, the only headphone I’ve tried was a Focal Clear and I wasn’t too much of a fan. All the praise about the Susvara made me want to go straight ”to the top” but I am doing it a little weird. Just buying the headphone for now and seeing how I find the overall feel/fit/feeling of it on my head first, then I plan to jump head first into the amp rabbit hole if I can get used to wearing headphones after being an IEM guy basically my whole life.

Looking forward to it!
Wow, never thought seeing you here! 😁 welcome to Susvara club, you won’t be disappointed

edit: although for EDM, the TC would probably be more suitable for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back