HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 12, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #11,072 of 25,436
I wonder how the new Enleum HP Amp23R will stack up? On high gain mode it outputs 25 watts.
the bakoon 13r is terrific with susvara so I assume it will be quite good

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #11,073 of 25,436
Someone here on the forum was at canjam (or some other event) and asked hifiman's founder Dr. Feng Bian about a Susvara replacement and he said that he didn't really know how to make it better.
Also, I read that the designer of the Susvara (who is not Dr. Feng) left hifiman. Note, I can't verify either of these statements.
that was me but it was a couple of years ago....

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #11,075 of 25,436
Also, I read that the designer of the Susvara (who is not Dr. Feng) left hifiman. Note, I can't verify either of these statements.

that was me but it was a couple of years ago....
I also had heard the same thing and posted that quite a while ago

I don’t know it as a fact just what i heard from a somewhat reliable source (an audiophile friend)

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #11,076 of 25,436
I heard it direct from the horses mouth at can jam a few years back...

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #11,077 of 25,436
I think you should try to use 47lab 4
ee020e27bb64839e5583a1cb00d1310.jpg
c1edd910f15f1fc686e6ba8ed879bdf.jpg
706 to drive sus and MS3. This is the best amplifier I've ever heard to drive SUS

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #11,080 of 25,436
Hi I am seriously considering the Susvara as my next step up this ladder. The 1266TC is the other option.
I have the Burson 3XR , will this drive this HP suitably . Does anyone have any experience with this pairing?

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #11,081 of 25,436
Sep 13, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #11,082 of 25,436
I recommend pitting a WA33 against a Pass Labs or Accuphase when driving the Sus, eyes open, blindfolded, or what have you, and then decide if this is subjective or not. Although the Accuphase isn’t easily available in all markets.
And the EF1000 !

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #11,084 of 25,436
I don't think anyone would disagree that the susvara isn't as 'bassy' as the TC.
The TC is well known to be an extremely lively and energetic can with significant slam.

But Susvara isn't going for that, it's going for sheer realism. And whilst the TC will probably be a more fun choice for electronic genres and perhaps rock etc, the Susvara is likely going to be the better choice for any music where realism and in particular, timbre, is of importance. I've honestly never heard any other headphone present lowend elements and drums with as convincing a presentation as susvara does.

It's also worth noting that susvara changes a LOT when you put it on a speaker amp. It's honestly not the same headphone.
If it sounds soft/lacking impact, it's because you're underpowering it.

The Susvara sounds soft on the SA-1, 789, Serene, Asgard 3, GSX-Mini, and likely the Formula S (given as it's not a particularly powerful amp).
But then put it on a pass XA25 or AHB2 and strap yourself in....

@Sajid Amit and @Danmellinger both own or have owned 1266 and Susvara, and can probably expand on this further.
How I'd probably sum it up as this:

Susvara and 1266 are very different sounding headphones. Neither is outright 'better' than the other, and every single person I know that has properly powered and tested both has said they love both for different reasons, and even if they ended up preferring one, they readily admitted it was just personal preference, not performance.
If someone is adamant one is outright a 'better' headphone it's either they're just wanting to justify their purchase, or have not tried Susvara on a speaker amp.

Susvara absolutely needs a speaker amp to sound its best. I've yet to hear a 'headphone' amp that actually got it sounding as good as it does on a speaker amp. Though I have the OOR coming in so perhaps that will change that.
Try the Hifiman EF1000 (Headphone & Speaker Amp with Pre-Amp all in one)......awesome with the Susvaras (as it should be with it being the official Hifiman Amp for the Susvaras !)

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #11,085 of 25,436
Try the Hifiman EF1000 (Headphone & Speaker Amp with Pre-Amp all in one)......awesome with the Susvaras (as it should be with it being the official Hifiman Amp for the Susvaras !)
I will if I get the chance to.

The EF1000 is actually a 50w speaker amp with a headphone out, so that'd explain why it works with susvara well.

That being said, whilst I love hifiman headphones, their source gear typically hasn't been great so I'd be very hesitant to buy one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back