HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 14, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #11,117 of 25,551
I am considering speaker amps such as the Bakoon amp 13r or its predecessor Enleum 23r but yes it would be nice for me to have an amp which can fit on my desk.
A Chord TToby power amp would fit very nicely on your desk, and is used by more than a few people here as a HP amp. You might be able to find a dealer near you and audition one.
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-ttoby

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #11,118 of 25,551
I am intrigued with the potential these have, but not ready for a speaker amp price along with Susvara yet. With all these 10k amps being discussed and from someone who has never used a separate amp/dac/headphone setup, could some please recommend a decent budget option?

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #11,119 of 25,551
Who said speaker amps are expensive? Also why do you have to buy one new? Buy one that is already broken in, and the first owner already took the financial hit in case you ever want to sell it.

I think some of the recommended headphone amps are the ones that are expensive. You have headphone amp manufactures looking at a niche market anf charging up the ass for it. There’s no justification other than that they can get the price for it. If they also sold hammers, they would be $500.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #11,121 of 25,551
You have headphone amp manufactures looking at a niche market anf charging up the ass for it......If they also sold hammers, they would be $500.
Pure gold right there...

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #11,122 of 25,551
Everything is relative and in comparative contrast. The AMP-13R can't compete with the CFA3 in dynamic prowess or authority in bass response.
The Niimbus is a little more complete in this regard although still lacking.

You are presenting two relatively middling performing headamps and both in that upper limit of your initial projected budget.

It's why I asked why not pursue "real" speaker amplifiers or if size was a constraint, or if DIY was an applicable path of interest.

It also circles around to a bigger discussion of why you should avoid headamps as a particular impasse.

But I play your rules.

At that junction, the Niimbus encompasses a far more resolute and clean presentation that exposes the AMP-13R as being more rounded, more warm and compressed sounding. Some do like this, so as well, play to your preference if known.
I understand everything being relative. For myself this is probably the end of the road at least in terms of my headphone setup. These "middling" amps are probably as much as I can justify. I don't think I could afford any substantial upgrades after this point making this my last purchase before going down the speaker rabbit hole.

Which is why I do like the bakoon since it also power speakers making it somewhat of a 2 for 1. But that does make me curious which "real" speaker amps would you recommend? DIY isn't an option but if size wasn't a factor do you have specific models that would be somewhat within my budget?

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #11,123 of 25,551
With all these 10k amps being discussed and from someone who has never used a separate amp/dac/headphone setup, could some please recommend a decent budget option?

If I may ask, what sort of money would you consider budget? $500 more or less?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #11,124 of 25,551
For myself this is probably the end of the road at least in terms of my headphone setup. These "middling" amps are probably as much as I can justify. I don't think I could afford any substantial upgrades after this point making this my last purchase before going down the speaker rabbit hole.
I’m sure you mean that. So did everyone else. If we all had a nickel for every time somebody on the formums said that, we could all afford a Lamborghini, forget about an amp. LOL

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #11,125 of 25,551
Custom tube amps are an option. I've one here. Just don't have Susvara ................ yet.

I've had my share of speaker amps and they sound great with headphones.

Ist time I heard HD800 on this Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP, I was very amazed. I sold off this PL though and kept the Redgum.
20170930_172935.jpg

This Sansui au-alpha 907mr with hd650 and Beyer T1.2 is outrageous and that's just listening from the headphone output. I have the speaker taps cable too. I must be drunk to sell off this Sansui.
IMG_0473.jpg

Finally my Redgum Rgi120enr
20171026_223647.jpg

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #11,126 of 25,551
I’m sure you mean that. So did everyone else. If we all had a nickel for every time somebody on the formums said that, we could all afford a Lamborghini, forget about an amp. LOL
LOL. While I can't speak for the people on here I think I'll be perfectly content once I get a good amp. Susvaras are already near the peak for headphones at least in my opinion and I don't see myself falling out of love with them any time soon. Even on the off chance I did they'd make for a good trading piece.

As far as the amp like I mentioned earlier, getting an amp in this tier would make any substantial upgrades way out of my budget. So I wouldn't be able to upgrade even if I wanted to.

To be honest, I'm not sure about my RME DAC and have considered R2R but I think the customization of the RME wins me over every time.

Cables are another story. I have yet to upgrade my stock Susvara cable so I guess you caught me there. But thats because I'm waiting to get an amp first that way I have a better idea of which cable to get.

I can't wait for everything to come together..

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #11,127 of 25,551
LOL. While I can't speak for the people on here I think I'll be perfectly content once I get a good amp. Susvaras are already near the peak for headphones at least in my opinion and I don't see myself falling out of love with them any time soon. Even on the off chance I did they'd make for a good trading piece.

As far as the amp like I mentioned earlier, getting an amp in this tier would make any substantial upgrades way out of my budget. So I wouldn't be able to upgrade even if I wanted to.

To be honest, I'm not sure about my RME DAC and have considered R2R but I think the customization of the RME wins me over every time.

Cables are another story. I have yet to upgrade my stock Susvara cable so I guess you caught me there. But thats because I'm waiting to get an amp first that way I have a better idea of which cable to get.

I can't wait for everything to come together..
Enjoy the process. No need to rush.

By upgrading piece by piece you can appreciate each individual upgrade more and get a better sense of the extend each upgrade contributed.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #11,130 of 25,551
I always liked what they did with heat sinks in their products. A very cool idea to cover a unique look and functionality.
It's a unique look, but seems less than optimal from a ventilation standpoint. Perhaps the amp doesn't generate enough heat to make that an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back