HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #9,001 of 25,604

Someone rich please buy these and test them with the Susvaras lol. I'm already a fan of the original Burson Timekeeper, I am reaaaally interested in these.

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #9,002 of 25,604
You guys have completely confused me now.

Without hearing any of the amps, I was about to pull the trigger on a Bakoon for my Susvara and Utopia, then I thought wait, maybe I should just get the Woo WA33 and now, crap maybe I should be looking at the Nimbus...I'm guessing all would be great, it just sucks I can't hear them to decide for myself.

Try to look at it from a different perspective, how do you want to listen and to what kind of music do you want to listen to. After that try to find the right bracket of AMP. I went this way, I was looking for very neutral but resolving and transparent setup to listen mainly into Jazz and Classical recordings and ended up with a Niimbus. Although I have to admit I do have a past with Lake People so it felt very natural to move up with them.

Once you found your bracket, Tubes, Class A, etc. I should become a bit clearer.

Just my 2c, hope it helps

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #9,003 of 25,604

Without hearing any of the amps, I was about to pull the trigger on a Bakoon for my Susvara and Utopia, then I thought wait, maybe I should just get the Woo WA33 and now, crap maybe I should be looking at the Nimbus...I'm guessing all would be great, it just sucks I can't hear them to decide for myself.
Bakoon it is!

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #9,004 of 25,604
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #9,005 of 25,604
I’ve been listening to the Susvara’s with my current XI audio stack and I’m experiencing fatigue. Something I’ve never experienced before. If I switch to my utopias with my feliks tube amp (same dac) the sensation goes away. I can’t articulate why I have the feeling. Is it too bright or too analytical?? Can’t explain it. I’ve never experienced this. Anyone have such an experience and understand the reason behind it?

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #9,006 of 25,604

Well a few questions to answer to yourself.
Do you prefer tube sound or solid state?
Are you fine with "maintenance" costs like tube replacements?

Most of those amps recommended here are great, some may just fit your taste a little better.
Since you can't audition them beforehand you should check availability and pricing in your Region. Often this aspect alone makes the decision a lot easier.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #9,007 of 25,604

I would try to find a dealer that could lend you two of them to try for a week or so. Buy the one you like most and call it a day... or if you still have the itch, then spring for the 3rd to try lol

In all seriousness, more than anything.. this thread is evidence that there's a number of highly capable amps that pair well with the Susvara. All are generally expensive unfortunately, but you won't really go wrong with any. If amps weren't such a pain to buy/resell/ship I'd have done as much amp rolling as others here.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #9,008 of 25,604
I’ve been listening to the Susvara’s with my current XI audio stack and I’m experiencing fatigue. Something I’ve never experienced before. If I switch to my utopias with my feliks tube amp (same dac) the sensation goes away. I can’t articulate why I have the feeling. Is it too bright or too analytical?? Can’t explain it. I’ve never experienced this. Anyone have such an experience and understand the reason behind it?
I‘ve never experienced fatigue with Susvara. In my setup, it’s sweet sounding, detailed but non-fatiguing. Perhaps you‘re just a bit tired? Sometimes it affects our hearing. But that still doesn’t explain the fact that switching to Utopia makes the fatigue goes away 😁

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #9,009 of 25,604
I'm surprised by this. I can listen to my Susvara's on the Formula S/Powerman with the Hugo 2 as the DAC and not have that feeling. The Sagra DAC is warmer sounding than the Hugo 2 and it should infuse some warmth into the sound. So I'm not sure why you're hearing such a bright sound signature with XI Audio combo and Susvara's.

I do have a couple of mods on my Susvara's. The Dekoni Fenestrated earpads have replaced the stock pads. My DHC Prion 4 cable has replaced the stock cable.. You might want to get rid of the stock cable for starters and get a aftermarket cable of your choosing. The stock cable is not a got pairing with the Susvara's. It attenuates the brightness in my opinion. Then try a set of the Dekoni pads to tone down some of the brightness in the treble you're hearing. These are just a couple of suggestions you can try to tweak the sound.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #9,010 of 25,604
Susvaras are more defined, faster, more dimensional than the LCD2C. In fact its not even close. If you like the deep and thick bass of the 2C, than the Susvara isn't the right can. But in 99.98% of the other ways, the Susvara kicks dirt on the 2C - as it should given the price.
So that means the 2C actually has deeper and thicker bass than the Susvara? That would be great.

I currently have the Susvara and i'm looking for the 2C not vice versa.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #9,011 of 25,604
Perhaps I just need to give it a rest. I’ve been listening intently for the last couple of days. I certainly would not have described the Susvara’s as overly bright when I first heard them. Thinking back, I did introduce a silver black dragon cable today that was a left over from another Hifiman headphone. Maybe that had something to do with it….anyway a break will do me good. Have a goodnight!

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #9,012 of 25,604
Perhaps I just need to give it a rest. I’ve been listening intently for the last couple of days. I certainly would not have described the Susvara’s as overly bright when I first heard them. Thinking back, I did introduce a silver black dragon cable today that was a left over from another Hifiman headphone. Maybe that had something to do with it….anyway a break will do me good. Have a goodnight!
:thumbsup:

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #9,013 of 25,604
So that means the 2C actually has deeper and thicker bass than the Susvara? That would be great.

Just order them from Thomann.de and test them in the 30day no questions asked trial period. Really nothing to Lose here.

The LCD-2C has a very unique sound and the Bass is one of its strengths. However I never heard them side by side with the Susvara.

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #9,014 of 25,604

2C has a less accurate bass. If you can afford a Susvara, then consider a LCD-4 (the harder to drive one) that's got some real bass and delivers a far more refined and accurate sound than the 2C. The LCD-3 IMO is unlistenable w/o heavy EQ, but the bass is better than the 2C, but no match for the 4.

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #9,015 of 25,604
Just order them from Thomann.de and test them in the 30day no questions asked trial period. Really nothing to Lose here.

The LCD-2C has a very unique sound and the Bass is one of its strengths. However I never heard them side by side with the Susvara.
If you like acoustic and well recorded music the 2C is lapped by hundreds of different cans that are all lapped by the Susvara. It's the best planar I've heard. If bass is the overarching concern, then the original 6 screw HE-6 has much more impact than the 2C. And as I said above the LCD-4 crushes the 2C across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back