HiFiMan Susvara
May 1, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #8,386 of 25,550
I have no problem with Amir and do appreciate his work and all the info he shares. What I don't like is this closed minded cult that has formed around him that believe a handful of measurements tell you everything you need to know about something as subjective as hifi.

Also, this obsession with distortion figures and SINAD as if we're talking about equipment made to detect heart arrhythmia in a clinical setting. Whoever said distortion is bad when it comes to music? That's a joke to rock music, people who enjoy tube amps, or even precision crafted solid state amplifiers that use harmonic distortion to add character and a bit of warmth to the sound signature.
Regarding distortion, you're conflating music with music reproduction. If you prefer distortion in the latter, that's your own business, but a lot of people, myself included, are strictly interested in high fidelity equipment.

ASR gets a lot of flak on this site, but it serves a very valuable purpose... to some of us. People who think that great audio equipment is the result of magic and serendipity can safely ignore it.

May 1, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #8,387 of 25,550
ASR gets a lot of flak on this site,
Not trying to pick a fight with you, but what about the "flak" ASR itself and its flock of adoring acolytes enjoy dishing out to others, under the pretext of their "science" and "measurements"? By others, I mean not only certain manufacturers and their products, but also those whom they deem "foolish" enough to spend their money on such products.

Shouldn't a "give and take" (of "flak") be considered "fair" in the spirit of public debate in this particular case? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ffa.gif

Again, not meaning to pick a fight. I'm just saying if they can gleefully give, then they must be ready to take gleefully as well, in the spirit of "fair is fair." Don't you agree? :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #8,388 of 25,550
Better then V281?
Yes it does. The Luxman is cleaner sounding throughout the entire frequency spectrum. The Luxman also has better midrange performance, more soundstage depth, better imaging, and more insight into the music.

May 1, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #8,390 of 25,550
Yes it does. The Luxman is cleaner sounding throughout the entire frequency spectrum. The Luxman also has better midrange performance, more soundstage depth, better imaging, and more insight into the music.
How about the bass? Any distinguished properties worth noting about how the Luxman handles bass as compared to the V281? Also, if you do not mind my "piling it on," how does the Luxman stack up against the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman combo (if the powerman is available, that is)?

May 1, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #8,392 of 25,550
Not trying to pick a fight with you, but what about the "flak" ASR itself and its flock of adoring acolytes enjoy dishing out to others, under the pretext of their "science" and "measurements"? By others, I mean not only certain manufacturers and their products, but also those whom they deem "foolish" enough to spend their money on such products.

Shouldn't a "give and take" (of "flak") be considered "fair" in the spirit of public debate in this particular case? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ffa.gif

Again, not meaning to pick a fight. I'm just saying if they can gleefully give, then they must be ready to take gleefully as well, in the spirit of "fair is fair." Don't you agree? :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:
Oh, I completely agree that some of the attitude and dogma routinely directed at subjectivists on ASR gets tiresome. OTOH, the site is Audio SCIENCE Review and there are plenty of other platforms for trading opinions. I don't really have a problem with people here giving ASR flak, but to write the entire site off as useless or a waste of time is just silly. There's a lot of useful info there, and one can learn to tune out the noise, much as I've learned to skim over posts here that talk about "audiophile" Ethernet switches and other such tweaks.

May 1, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #8,395 of 25,550
Someone told me luxman is very slow haha. When you told 3 persons you get 3 opinions.
It's not slow. Dynamics and transient speed are every bit as snappy as some of the best solid state amps I've heard with the Susvara's. Yes there is some warmth to its sound but it adds some musical flavor instead of being dead neutral.

May 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #8,396 of 25,550
After a few hours, I find that the amount of bass is rather the same, maybe with 0.5db there is less of it and that's it. I didn't think changing the pads would change Susvara that much. the change did much more than just change the cable.
How Dekoni FSS compare to solid SS?

May 1, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #8,397 of 25,550
Can you be a fan of AudioScienceReview and own Susvara's? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Those boys would eat you for breakfast if they knew you spent more than $600 on any headphone.

I don't know if im a total fan of ASR, but I do contribute/post there and do my own measurements + own a susvara. :)

In fact, I made a target FR curve for headphones independently, and the Susvara lines up quite nicely to it.

graph.png

May 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #8,398 of 25,550
How about the bass? Any distinguished properties worth noting about how the Luxman handles bass as compared to the V281? Also, if you do not mind my "piling it on," how does the Luxman stack up against the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman combo (if the powerman is available, that is)?
The bass on the Luxman is more developed than it is on the V281. Not only is it deep, it's better layered and more defined. The sound as a whole is more engulfing, engaging and really makes you a part of the music.

The Formula S/Powerman is more neutral sounding. It's not as warm as the Luxman nor does it have the musical qualities of it. The Luxman is richer in tonality, while being just as resolving, dynamic, and spacious sounding as the Formula S/Powerman combo. The Luxman sounds bigger and bolder. They are two different listening experiences but both are without a doubt reference amps.

May 2, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #8,399 of 25,550
Anyone upgraded from HE1000se to a Susvara? I am deciding for another desk HP to partner with my HE1000se and my options are Abyss 1266 phi tc or Susvara. I want to keep my HE1000se so I still have TOTL headphones that can be driven by portables. Chose to sell my Empyreans to fund either a 1266 or Susvara. What’s the group’s opinion on what might be a better partner to HE1000se?

May 2, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #8,400 of 25,550
Anyone upgraded from HE1000se to a Susvara? I am deciding for another desk HP to partner with my HE1000se and my options are Abyss 1266 phi tc or Susvara. I want to keep my HE1000se so I still have TOTL headphones that can be driven by portables. Chose to sell my Empyreans to fund either a 1266 or Susvara. What’s the group’s opinion on what might be a better partner to HE1000se?
Hey i currently have a HE1000SE here and a Susvara on the way. My amp is a THX 887 so i have to check first if it has enough power for the Susvara when it's here. I think i even like the 1000V2 a bit more on that amp than the SE because the V2 is a bit smoother than the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back