HiFiMan Susvara
May 2, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #8,401 of 25,684
Anyone upgraded from HE1000se to a Susvara? I am deciding for another desk HP to partner with my HE1000se and my options are Abyss 1266 phi tc or Susvara. I want to keep my HE1000se so I still have TOTL headphones that can be driven by portables. Chose to sell my Empyreans to fund either a 1266 or Susvara. What’s the group’s opinion on what might be a better partner to HE1000se?
as mentioned a number of times before, after i bought the susvara i would only keep the hekse for use with portable gear. only the utopias have i kept as they provide a fuller sound than the hekse.

the hekse are great though - only being sold because of now owning the susvaras

otherwise the money tied up in the hekse could go to other parts of my chain - my hekse is up for sale in the local classifieds in australia

in this thread most will say buy the susvaras, get it properly amped and look at you secondary/complementary gear after that

all the best

May 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #8,403 of 25,684
No one with FA-10?

Okay, I have an FA-10, but I think we could take things up one notch by having an FA-10 comparo with several other Susvara-matching performers in a roughly similar "don't break the bank" price range : I recommend this review, and the write-up which accompanies it. The "Star" of the show is the Burson Soloist 3X, but there are very useful comparisons with the FA-10 and other amps, and helpful assessments of how nicely each plays with the Susvara:

And here is Sandu Vitalie's write up : >> link <<

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #8,404 of 25,684
Anybody have the experience with the Susvara & the Empyrean? Can you give me some advice upgrading my THX AAA789 amplifier?
It needs to be powerful enough to power these babes well. Budget is flexible. I'm thinking about $2000, but it can be stretched up if recommended. (Schiit Ragnarok mk2? Topping A90? Other better choices?)

May 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #8,405 of 25,684
Anybody have the experience with the Susvara & the Empyrean? Can you give me some advice upgrading my THX AAA789 amplifier?
It needs to be powerful enough to power these babes well. Budget is flexible. I'm thinking about $2000, but it can be stretched up if recommended. (Schiit Ragnarok mk2? Topping A90? Other better choices?)
that might be tricky in honouring the susvara with an appropriate amp.
see what others say

if you don’t already have a susvara maybe look at a he1000se or utopia.
both are easier to drive and will complement the empyreans really well.
and both are great, depending on preferences.
(the susvaras are better though when driven well but, for me, really need to be driven well or you will be missing out on a fair bit)

May 2, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #8,408 of 25,684
oops

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #8,409 of 25,684

May 2, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #8,410 of 25,684
It's a foregone conclusion, I'm raising money for Susvara!
Niimbus drives them great and with Dekoni pads they play great!

Glad you came around to the Dark Side, @vonBaron!:yum:
1620002904110.gif

:)

Your (solid state) headphone amp and headphone search has just come to its natural ending. No need to spend any more energy or money towards those any further.

Having said that, maybe the other parts of the chain may evolve further as time goes on as you may (or may not) see fit

ps: and that is mainly why my hekse is up for sale - it has no faults and is a superb headphone….but the susvara is better….and a few grand more

May 2, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #8,411 of 25,684
Okay, I have an FA-10, but I think we could take things up one notch by having an FA-10 comparo with several other Susvara-matching performers in a roughly similar "don't break the bank" price range : I recommend this review, and the write-up which accompanies it. The "Star" of the show is the Burson Soloist 3X, but there are very useful comparisons with the FA-10 and other amps, and helpful assessments of how nicely each plays with the Susvara:

And here is Sandu Vitalie's write up : >> link <<

Recently released Burson Funk which is a class A hp amp and class AB speaker amp in one. I wonder if this will be great with Susvara as it is very versatile in terms of usable power

May 3, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #8,412 of 25,684
that might be tricky in honouring the susvara with an appropriate amp.
see what others say

if you don’t already have a susvara maybe look at a he1000se or utopia.
both are easier to drive and will complement the empyreans really well.
and both are great, depending on preferences.
(the susvaras are better though when driven well but, for me, really need to be driven well or you will be missing out on a fair bit)
Because of owning 2 scalable headphones: the Susvara (over 3 weeks) & the Empyrean. It's time to say goodbye to the THX AAA-789. Although I had spent a lot of time reading and watching reviews (I had bought both headphones without trying them first!). I still haven't come to a conclusion yet. Due some situation here, there is chance I've to move from a 240v to a 120v region. A power amp like Schiit Ragnarok mk2 would be nice? Only there is no voltage selector build-in. So there is still plenty of time to do some good research and asking to owners what they really had tried.

May 3, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #8,413 of 25,684
Because of owning 2 scalable headphones: the Susvara (over 3 weeks) & the Empyrean. It's time to say goodbye to the THX AAA-789. Although I had spent a lot of time reading and watching reviews (I had bought both headphones without trying them first!). I still haven't come to a conclusion yet. Due some situation here, there is chance I've to move from a 240v to a 120v region. A power amp like Schiit Ragnarok mk2 would be nice? Only there is no voltage selector build-in. So there is still plenty of time to do some good research and asking to owners what they really had tried.
I wouldn't recommend the Rag2 for the Susvara. It was really great to my other headphones, but for some reason, just didn't do the Susvara justice.

May 3, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #8,414 of 25,684
I wouldn't recommend the Rag2 for the Susvara. It was really great to my other headphones, but for some reason, just didn't do the Susvara justice.
I'm a little bit confused in the direction finding an amp for the Susvara. Since I don't think Topping A90 is a once and for all amp nor a real upgrade from the AAA-789. I'm lost.. desktop amp, speaker amp, hybrids... :spy:

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #8,415 of 25,684
I'm a little bit confused in the direction finding an amp for the Susvara. Since I don't think Topping A90 is a once and for all amp nor a real upgrade from the AAA-789. I'm lost.. desktop amp, speaker amp, hybrids... :spy:
just look through the thread and you will find a lot of discussion on amps

as per usual it is quite repetitive as we all keep chiming in with what works for us
and every now and then a new amp suggestion does pop up

i won't bother rehashing what I use, but i, like many others have not heard a lot of top end headphone amps

a few members though have heard a range so maybe their comparisons are of more value than my limited experience where I have been very happy to settle down with the amp I have based on others' recommendations

just look - the discussion is all over the thread

edit: and i think you are right about the topping amp but that is only based on what I have read and not heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back