HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #7,651 of 25,885
The amp im using is 50W into 8ohm. I don't think I'd want to go over that unless there was some other benefits sonically. I prefer to have control over my volume without adding resistors to the chain. Seems like 25-50W amps are the sweet spot, though higher you'll just have to be careful.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,652 of 25,885
Yes, the search results are often incomplete, on headfi in general. I missed some interesting deals in the past because the search did not find all listings... In another instance I was looking for one of my own posts, and that list was also incomplete.

By the way, there does not even appear to be a search option in the new classifieds section, unless I missed that.

Use this to search Head Fi classifieds, it's an aggregator and much better than the forum's search.

https://devbrada.com/classifieds/

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #7,654 of 25,885
@Oregonian and @antdroid thanks for the input guys!

Yea I agree it's being careful with the volume and having a good discipline with turning on/off stuff. Cheers guys.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #7,655 of 25,885
Hi!
I want to buy the tambaqui dac together with the susvara headphone.
Did you test the tambaqui headphone amplifier with the susvara? In your opinion, the tambaqui amp is enough to sustain the susvara, or should I buy an exclusive amp and use only the tambaqui as a dac?

Thankyou.
Yes, but that's not what I would recommend. It would be like wasting the state-of-the-art qualities of the Tambaqui as a DAC and those of the Susvara as a headphone.

Based on my experience:

I would highly recommend to use the Tambaqui as a DAC AND pre-amp. Then connect the Tambaqui directly to a power-amp like the Pass XA25.
Though the Tambaqui has XLR connectors only, these are already single-ended. Use either an adapter (e.g. Cardas) or a XLR to RCA cable. This is what Mola Mola wrote me with regard to the connection: "... only pin 2 is active driven referred to pin 3. If you make a XLR-RCA cable, connect pin 3 (the reference wire) to GND/shield in the RCA-connector. This way you will keep the connection differential as long as possible. You will keep the 6Vrms output voltage."

I think you don't need a separate pre-amp. Inserting an additional pre-amp (XP32) into this chain doesn't make a reproducible/clear difference to me.
Additionally the Tambaqui has an Ethernet input (which is also a Roon enpoint). I use it as a DAC/Streamer/Preamp.

I am using the balanced headphone connection on the Tambaqui's back side only for my Sennheiser HD800S. For the Susvara it's most important to be driven by an excellent power amp like the XA25. The difference is really huge.

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #7,657 of 25,885
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #7,658 of 25,885
You'll see how it goes with the remote control but I wouldn't expect a change in the step-up. Anyway, I found it a small issue, even came to thinking that's done on purpose to encourage listening on a quieter pot positions from two possible ones around the perfect volume level :wink:
Hi gwos,
I forgot to ask you in my message about the EF1000 back on 19th March, if you had tried using the EF1000 using two headphones at the same time i.e. one from the balanced XLR output and one from the 1/4" single jack output. And if you did, was there any noticeable reduction in music performance etc. from the headphones ?

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #7,660 of 25,885
Do you own this DAC by any chance?

Yes, I own it. Though I wouldn't have used the wording "by any chance". It's more the result of being several decades in this hobby. I should add, that I am more focused on speakers than headphones. But I really appreciate headphones also. I even started with headphones before I could afford speakers... Pioneer SE-30... an object of desire in 1972.

My current desktop rig for your visual pleasure :slight_smile::
(Let me add: I had to choose a big PC case in order to be able to build a very, very silent and still rather fast PC)

Attachments

• 2021-03-04 16-07-52.JPG
    2021-03-04 16-07-52.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #7,661 of 25,885
Yes, I own it. Though I wouldn't have used the wording "by any chance". It's more the result of being several decades in this hobby. I should add, that I am more focused on speakers than headphones. But I really appreciate headphones also. I even started with headphones before I could afford speakers... Pioneer SE-30... an object of desire in 1972.

(Let me add: I had to choose a big PC case in order to be able to build a very, very silent and still rather fast PC)

That pic puts the pic in epic.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #7,662 of 25,885
passing thoughts:

my replacement hekse arrived today (after a failed driver) and it's great to have them back after roughly a 5 week wait period

even though I also have the susvaras these hekse will also keep getting used - though not extremely different they do offer differences

the hekse distinctly/obviously tight and precise in all elements with high level of detail and a bit forward in its presentation and the susvara more natural/rounded with higher level of detail and nuances
the susvara needing a dedicated setup and the hekse playing well with anything

I would say somewhat complementary though in the same ball park and not extremely different, but if you like what hifiman offers.....

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #7,663 of 25,885

Thanks for your explanation. It's interesting how small that DAC is on your photo, but this aside, that's a very sexy setup right there. I trust that Susvara sounds rather good in that environment :D ?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #7,665 of 25,885
I'm searching for high end cable to use with Susvara, what cable you guys are using? I am thinking of plussound or arctic, the top ones of them.
I am also considering changing the stock Susvara cable to one of the following (in no particular order) to be 3m in length with 3.5mm headphone jacks and XLR balanced connection;
1) Double Helix Prion 4
2) Lavricables Master Silver
3) Danacable Lazuli Reference

I am going to wait though until my Hifiman EF1000 arrives, try with the stock and then make a decision as to whether I should spend a small fortune on one of the above cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back