HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #7,621 of 26,675
I understand you get this impression but that's because most posts on this thread are about finding the next step up in terms of amp and cable. You can do the same, but you don't have to... I don't use an expensive cable, I'm using the Formula S I already had for the TC, and I'm very happy with that setup. I only upgraded the pads for comfort reasons. Setup done, happy camper.
I think i've made up my mind @MatW . Solitaire P and HA-200 for me and then I think I can leave this hedonistic madness for a while and just listen to some tunes... It's been useful though. My crack cocaine addiction is being neglected!

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #7,622 of 26,675
OK ... my excuse is I'm new here.

There is a lot of bollocks talked on head-fi.

AND also a HUGE amount of good stuff.

I just wish the silent majority were a bit more vocal. It would make reading between the lines much less of a requirement for making good decisions.

AND also much easier than listening to a local sales rep in a showroom.

However - faceplates on the Erlkonig don't make it sound better.

And one person who can afford a EUR60k set of cans doesn't necessarily have golden ears.

He may just have a fat wallet or a trust fund behind him.

There is a touch of oneupmanship on this site.

And much of this naval staring could be done on an electrical engineering website.

And I just want to listen to tunes ... the gear is important but without the tunes it would be worthless.

I'll get my coat (again).

But I'll be lurking
Wow

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #7,623 of 26,675
OK ... my excuse is I'm new here.

There is a lot of bollocks talked on head-fi.

AND also a HUGE amount of good stuff.

I just wish the silent majority were a bit more vocal. It would make reading between the lines much less of a requirement for making good decisions.

AND also much easier than listening to a local sales rep in a showroom.

However - faceplates on the Erlkonig don't make it sound better.

And one person who can afford a EUR60k set of cans doesn't necessarily have golden ears.

He may just have a fat wallet or a trust fund behind him.

And much of this naval staring could be done on an electrical engineering website.

And I just want to listen to tunes ... the gear is important but without the tunes it would be worthless.

I'll get my coat (again).

But I'll be lurking
I think most of us are on this thread because we are huge fans of the susvara...when listening to music (mostly). Though it can get easy to get caught up in "gear"

and then it's about playing around with what we use with the susvaras and our setup and doing a few tweaks here and there to get even more enjoyment out of the susvara

that too is part of this hobby

yes it is about experiencing music at whatever level we each do that as well as being a hobby in itself

YMMV (your mileage, and many others, may totally vary)...and that's cool too

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #7,624 of 26,675
I think most of us are on this thread because we are huge fans of the susvara...when listening to music (mostly). Though it can get easy to get caught up in "gear"

and then it's about playing around with what we use with the susvaras and our setup and doing a few tweaks here and there to get even more enjoyment out of the susvara

that too is part of this hobby

yes it is about experiencing music at whatever level we each do that as well as being a hobby in itself

YMMV (your mileage, and many others, may totally vary)...and that's cool too
Yes in fairness - my rant wasn't focussed on just this thread - but it's the thread I've tried to understand in selecting a TOTL headphone and amp - and failed obviously to get hold of the gear that is talked about to drive it (that fits on my desk).. I just want to try some headphones that are priced at the trailli level is all. I'm happy to buy an amp to go with it but the Susvara's seem to require a dedication that is more cult than consumer imo - all encapsulated in, and frustrated by, a world where I have other more important hobbies that because of lockdown I have had to neglect...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #7,625 of 26,675
Yes in fairness - my rant wasn't focussed on just this thread - but it's the thread I've tried to understand in selecting a TOTL headphone and amp - and failed obviously to get hold of the gear that is talked about to drive it (that fits on my desk).. I just want to try some headphones that are priced at the trailli level is all. I'm happy to buy an amp to go with it but the Susvara's seem to require a dedication that is more cult than consumer imo - where I have other hobbies that because of lockdown I have had to neglect...
yep the susvaras are a little like that.
i had to sell some audio gear to help get to my susvaras and amp.
dare i say it, i work in sales of wine (delivered to your door) and here in australia business has been going well over the last 12 month.
That, and the fact there was not much other spending going on (eg not going out or on holidays) has helped me finance this indulgence of the susvara and amp.

it definitely is not cheap and is more than is really needed to enjoy music, but in my case it is my main personal indulgence and that has pretty much reached a crescendo (i think)

though I (pretty much) just as much enjoy listening to my music on bluetooth headphones (sony and b&o) when going out for walks.
I even enjoy listening to it in our ford focus

having said that, those little singer breaths (eg SIA) and natural tones of a pluck of a guitar or reverb on a note on a violin is why i have my susvara set up.
that's mostly what my indulgence is about - the times the hairs stand up or my heart skips a beat or a lump sneaks into my throat or a feeling sweeps by my senses
(i don't get a lot of those moments driving our ford focus)

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #7,626 of 26,675
yep the susvaras are a little like that.
i had to sell some audio gear to help get to my susvaras and amp.
dare i say it, i work in sales of wine (delivered to your door) and here in australia business has been going well over the last 12 month.
That, and the fact there was not much other spending going on (eg not going out or on holidays) has helped me finance this indulgence of the susvara and amp.

it definitely is not cheap and is more than is really needed to enjoy music, but in my case it is my main personal indulgence and that has pretty much reached a crescendo (i think)

though I (pretty much) just as much enjoy listening to my music on bluetooth headphones (sony and b&o) when going out for walks.
I even enjoy listening to it in our ford focus

having said that, those little singer breaths (eg SIA) and natural tones of a pluck of a guitar or reverb on a note on a violin is why i have my susvara set up.
that's mostly what my indulgence is about - the times the hairs stand up or my heart skips a beat or a lump sneaks into my throat or a feeling sweeps by my senses
(i don't get a lot of those moments driving our ford focus)
well i hope my solitaire's can deliver the same. :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #7,627 of 26,675
Susvara's are King.......Long Live the King !

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #7,628 of 26,675

Yeah, one-amp-man-ship (there, I fixed it for you :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:) But I'd say it is more than just a touch, because somehow, it sticks to the Susvara like white on rice, more than it does to most other headphones, so it is sort of par for the course.

05_1.gif
PureReferenceAnimate.gif
Phonitor-xe.gif

Yeah, Susvara owners enjoy their one-amp-man-ships, and they seem to love every minute of it, so I say let them have at it:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:... YOLO, and life is fragile in a pandemic, so why not? As for the DACs and everything else in the chain, we'll get to them when we get there.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #7,629 of 26,675
Yeah, one-amp-man-ship (there, I fixed it for you :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:) But I'd say it is more than just a touch, because somehow, it sticks to the Susvara like white on rice, more than it does to most other headphones, so it is sort of par for the course.

05_1.gif
PureReferenceAnimate.gif
Phonitor-xe.gif

Yeah, Susvara owners enjoy their one-amp-man-ships, and they seem to love every minute of it, so I say let them have at it:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:... YOLO, and life is fragile in a pandemic, so why not? As for the DACs and everything else in the chain, we'll get to them when we get there.
Ahhhh.....dacs, shmacs!!!

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #7,630 of 26,675
I understand you get this impression but that's because most posts on this thread are about finding the next step up in terms of amp and cable. You can do the same, and to be clear, I'm not criticizing that at all, but you don't necessarily have to... I don't use an expensive cable, I'm using the Formula S I already had for the TC, and I'm very happy with that setup. I only upgraded the pads for comfort reasons. Setup done, happy camper.
Love the Formula S with the Susvara's excellent combo in my opinion.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #7,631 of 26,675
Because simple costs are arbitrary. If you had any idea what a circuit looked like. :deadhorse:
not judgment as to whether the cost is justified or that the internals warrant it...only that it costs more than 4 times and as such it should be expected to be better...obviously given my buying history I agree more expensive gear warrants its price point...in this case it is simply an acknowledgement of cost and expectation

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #7,632 of 26,675
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #7,633 of 26,675
i was going to buy them but cancelled the order.
I'll stick to my thicker 2020 (3.5mm) stock versions as I am happy wth them as is
Try them! You can return them if you don't like them. No risk.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #7,634 of 26,675
not judgment as to whether the cost is justified or that the internals warrant it...only that it costs more than 4 times and as such it should be expected to be better...obviously given my buying history I agree more expensive gear warrants its price point...in this case it is simply an acknowledgement of cost and expectation
Sure. You do take the stance of more expensive is better, however, you never really contextualize if you mean by better parts, better power supply, etc or just better price.

You know, because, like, you do remember Ray Samuels and the Dark Star, right. :laughing:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #7,635 of 26,675
Sure. You do take the stance of more expensive is better, however, you never really contextualize if you mean by better parts, better power supply, etc or just better price.

You know, because, like, you do remember Ray Samuels and the Dark Star, right. :laughing:
I do not suggest that a 2000 dollar amp is necessarily better than a 1500 dollar amp but I do suggest that a universally praised 8k amp will be better than a 1700 dollar amp all things considered...yes, better parts, power supply etc. and ultimately better sounding...bottom line is I expect an 8k amp to be better than a 1700 dollar amp...I do not suggest that there will not be exceptions of course but as a general rule I think it is safe to say..once we reach a certain price threshold all bets are off though...I do not suggest that a 100k speaker system will necessarily be better than a 60k one etc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back