HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #7,606 of 26,673
I would go first with getting some dekoni pads and take it from there, that will offer some real noticeable different takes on susvara, The Fenestrated ones are amazing
i was going to buy them but cancelled the order.
I'll stick to my thicker 2020 (3.5mm) stock versions as I am happy wth them as is

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #7,607 of 26,673
I use Vykari with Susvara, it’s a big improvement over stock cable. I also have Lumin T2 & Bakoon coming in the next couple of weeks (I hope) and this should be enough for the time being. I was gonna go with separate streamer & DAC (U1 mini/Aries G1 with Terminator II/May KTE) but opted for T2 instead, to keep it simple. Perhaps I may add a Loki Max if it gets released in the future to play around with EQ (if necessary). Lumin L1 server is also a possibility but we’ll see later.
How's the balance of the Vykari's?
I have enjoyed the balance of a cheaper solvx3 in the past (other headphones) but going back a few years I had a norne arcane (hybrid) and that was a great fun full bodied sound but too much in "party mode" full sound or the susvaras

and do report back on the t2 and if you demoed other streamers

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #7,608 of 26,673
How's the balance of the Vykari's?
I believe this is Trevor’s best cable that I’ve ever heard. Overall sound is very balanced & full bodied, with slight forward mids, more apparent reverbs and excellent dynamics. I also ordered DHC Complement 4 to be used with Bakoon’s single ended output, but it’s pure copper with coaxial geometry.
and do report back on the t2
Will do.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #7,609 of 26,673
@thecrow

I recently received a Silvergarde S4 cable (4 wire variant) which I intended to pair with Stellia (and Susvara sometimes). I ended up selling it as it was unfortunately a level down from my palladium wire cable. Perhaps the 8 wire variant may fare better, but I will probably never know as I am guessing/assuming whatever silver cable out there will just not reach the same level as a palladium offering.

I also have the Danacable LR and have tried it with the Utopia against the palladium, and although the copper does give the Utopia a pleasant sound, I ultimately still gravitate towards the palladium for the sound it brings out of the headphone.
I bought the signum+ for utopias with adapters for susvara a few months ago

my recent impressions are that they sound better with the susvara than utopias
I was needing a bit more warmth with utopias. Almost like it was a little too disjointed in it's sound - a little too top heavy.
But I know others really like it.
And i don't fell 100% silver and utopias are my thing.
I am pretty happy with my heimdall 2 for my utopias

the signum+ were better with my susvaras.
they may further grow on me though i am looking for some more tone warmth to evolve for the susvaras

how do you find the palladiums vs the signum

ps i am right now using my silver draugs with my susvaras and yes they deliver well.
maybe my susvaras are "burning in" still as this pair arrived two months ago and I only burn in by using them.
Though that copper tone............... just brings out "that tone"................... :) and is a little less mids focussed

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #7,610 of 26,673
I believe this is Trevor’s best cable that I’ve ever heard. Overall sound is very balanced & full bodied, with slight forward mids, more apparent reverbs and excellent dynamics. I also ordered DHC Complement 4 to be used with Bakoon’s single ended output, but it’s pure copper with coaxial geometry.

Will do.
thanks for that description - really helpful

with the "full bodied" element and "more apparent reverbs" is the sound highly natural and transparent (so to speak) or more full and rich in a "fun way" as I am amleaning more to the former than the latter (though a little of the fun full sound is ok - a little)

and compared to silvergarde cables?

i was also looking at the complement4

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #7,611 of 26,673
I do as well have a Vykari on order. I used pure silver in the past with my HD800s and found them a bit to "dry". I have gone back to copper/mix and like it better. For the connection between DAC and AMP I have even opted for a solid core copper cable. The stock cable to my knowledge is copper and silver mix and I like the overall tonality very much, that was one more reason to pull the trigger on the Vykari.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #7,613 of 26,673
I bought the signum+ for utopias with adapters for susvara a few months ago

my recent impressions are that they sound better with the susvara than utopias
I was needing a bit more warmth with utopias. Almost like it was a little too disjointed in it's sound - a little too top heavy.
But I know others really like it.
And i don't fell 100% silver and utopias are my thing.
I am pretty happy with my heimdall 2 for my utopias

the signum+ were better with my susvaras.
they may further grow on me though i am looking for some more tone warmth to evolve for the susvaras

how do you find the palladiums vs the signum

ps i am right now using my silver draugs with my susvaras and yes they deliver well.
maybe my susvaras are "burning in" still as this pair arrived two months ago and I only burn in by using them.
Though that copper tone............... just brings out "that tone"................... :)

Unfortunately I never directly compared the signum+ to palladium as I sold my signum+ to fund the palladium.

I do know the palladium outperforms black dragon, S4, LR and superconductor on my Utopia and/or Susvara.

I've been speaking with Roy at AC recently and he says his Opera palladium is his best cable yet. He did say that between the Opera and the palladium I have, he didn't think the price difference was worth the small difference in SQ, so I am grateful for his honesty. he mentioned he has two new cables coming out and they may be worth a look in particular the Aeris (I'm looking for a dedicated cable for the utopia).

With the Susvara, just the palladium for me. I'm just glad and relieved I found a good pairing for my tastes, but man did it take a lot of trial and error (and money)..

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #7,614 of 26,673
I do as well have a Vykari on order. I used pure silver in the past with my HD800s and found them a bit to "dry". I have gone back to copper/mix and like it better. For the connection between DAC and AMP I have even opted for a solid core copper cable. The stock cable to my knowledge is copper and silver mix and I like the overall tonality very much, that was one more reason to pull the trigger on the Vykari.
I have adapters for the silver draug for my hd800 as well as a sleeved volsund and i like both with my hd800 - but that is with my woo wa2 amp that takes care of any sharpness issues for me

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #7,615 of 26,673
With the Susvara, just the palladium for me. I'm just glad and relieved I found a good pairing for my tastes, but man did it take a lot of trial and error (and money)..
that's the killer :)
(also the reason I am reluctant to go for tubes again...but never say never)

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #7,616 of 26,673
I have adapters for the silver draug for my hd800 as well as a sleeved volsund and i like both with my hd800 - but that is with my woo wa2 amp that takes care of any sharpness issues for me
I was missing a bit more low end and they have become hard to listen to on the long run, that was with Violectric 850/280 which I think are more on the moderate side. With the Susvara I am hearing opera over hours without any issues at all.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #7,617 of 26,673
with the "full bodied" element and "more apparent reverbs" is the sound highly natural and transparent (so to speak) or more full and rich in a "fun way" as I am amleaning more to the former than the latter (though a little of the fun full sound is ok - a little)
It’s more to the former.
and compared to silvergarde cables?
I don’t have Silvergarde for headphones but I’ve used every iteration of Silvergarde for my IEMs. I now have S4 for my VE Erlkonig, and the sound is sublime indeed. I think it’s the first IEM version of S4 he made, as he didn’t have any plans to release it.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #7,618 of 26,673
It’s more to the former.

I don’t have Silvergarde for headphones but I’ve used every iteration of Silvergarde for my IEMs. I now have S4 for my VE Erlkonig, and the sound is sublime indeed. I think it’s the first IEM version of S4 he made, as he didn’t have any plans to release it.
thanks for your posts and for other members too.
I'm sure i'll use all of them as a bit of a reference and read them a number of times again in the near future

and do report back on the streamer and complement 4 whenever it gets in

cheers

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #7,619 of 26,673
OK ... my excuse is I'm new here.

There is a lot of bollocks talked on head-fi.

AND also a HUGE amount of good stuff.

I just wish the silent majority were a bit more vocal. It would make reading between the lines much less of a requirement for making good decisions.

AND also much easier than listening to a local sales rep in a showroom.

However - faceplates on the Erlkonig don't make it sound better.

And one person who can afford a EUR60k set of cans doesn't necessarily have golden ears.

He may just have a fat wallet or a trust fund behind him.

There is a touch of oneupmanship on this site.

And much of this naval staring could be done on an electrical engineering website.

And I just want to listen to tunes ... the gear is important but without the tunes it would be worthless.

I'll get my coat (again).

But I'll be lurking

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #7,620 of 26,673
pads to cables - i rest my case - such a high maintenance partner. beautiful but very fussy.

guys - you're never going to please her
I understand you get this impression but that's because most posts on this thread are about finding the next step up in terms of amp and cable. You can do the same, and to be clear, I'm not criticizing that at all, but you don't necessarily have to... I don't use an expensive cable, I'm using the Formula S I already had for the TC, and I'm very happy with that setup. I only upgraded the pads for comfort reasons. Setup done, happy camper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back