HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #7,636 of 25,885
I do not suggest that a 2000 dollar amp is necessarily better than a 1500 dollar amp but I do suggest that a universally praised 8k amp will be better than a 1700 dollar amp all things considered...yes, better parts, power supply etc. and ultimately better sounding...bottom line is I expect an 8k amp to be better than a 1700 dollar amp...I do not suggest that there will not be exceptions of course but as a general rule I think it is safe to say..once we reach a certain price threshold all bets are off though...I do not suggest that a 100k speaker system will necessarily be better than a 60k one etc
I'm glad you're aren't suggesting such after all. Whew. :wink:

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #7,637 of 25,885
Hey guys,

For those of you running speaker amps with your TC or Susvara, what kind of specs are you running?

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-amp-adapter/

Someone posted this on the speaker amp thread and it seems the power amp I'm using (227w into 8ohm) is way overpowered. Another member offered to help me out with resistor calculations, and suggested I find out what was the ideal or intended wattage into the susvara, and from there he could help determine an appropriate resistor to properly attenuate my amp.

Sorry I am clueless on the electrical aspects of audio ie the science/physics.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #7,638 of 25,885
I drive all my headphones* from my speaker amp and have done that for more than 5 years without any problem. First 4 years I had a Marantz PM11 (100W at 8Ohms) and now a Moon 600i (125W at 8Ohms). The power rating is not the real problem IMO, its the quality of the amp. You don't want a amp that will create spikes then the amp turns on and off or on blackouts and things like that.

With tube speaker amps I would put resistors on the tap. Class D amps works different and I don't know the risk by using them. As always; if not 100% sure on the amps behavior its better to be safe than sorry.

* HE6, LCD3F, LCD4, HE1000se.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #7,639 of 25,885
I drive all my headphones* from my speaker amp and have done that for more than 5 years without any problem. First 4 years I had a Marantz PM11 (100W at 8Ohms) and now a Moon 600i (125W at 8Ohms). The power rating is not the real problem IMO, its the quality of the amp. You don't want a amp that will create spikes then the amp turns on and off or on blackouts and things like that.

With tube speaker amps I would put resistors on the tap. Class D amps works different and I don't know the risk by using them. As always; if not 100% sure on the amps behavior its better to be safe than sorry.

* HE6, LCD3F, LCD4, HE1000se.

Thanks for chiming in! That was helpful.
I've emailed Apollon to ask whether it is safe and how their amp will react/respond to a resistor. Awaiting their reply.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #7,640 of 25,885
Hey guys,

For those of you running speaker amps with your TC or Susvara, what kind of specs are you running?

Someone posted this on the speaker amp thread and it seems the power amp I'm using (227w into 8ohm) is way overpowered. Another member offered to help me out with resistor calculations, and suggested I find out what was the ideal or intended wattage into the susvara, and from there he could help determine an appropriate resistor to properly attenuate my amp.

I'm using the same amp as you essentially. There is no need for attenuation as long as you're careful with the volume control. There is also no such thing as an "ideal" wattage for driving a given speaker or headphone.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #7,641 of 25,885
Thanks for chiming in! That was helpful.
I've emailed Apollon to ask whether it is safe and how their amp will react/respond to a resistor. Awaiting their reply.
It's entirely safe as long as the resistor is rated for the power it will be dissipating. The amp won't really care that it has to drive a higher load, it'll simply have to work harder to drive the headphone to the desired volume. The net result of that extra effort will be to heat up a resistor.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #7,642 of 25,885
@BassicScience

thanks very much man! That's quite a relief to hear. I will be careful with the volume control.

On the other hand, I have also been told before that a resistor should never be placed on a class D amp. So now there are three different viewpoints that have been conveyed to me.

Lol..!

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #7,643 of 25,885
I'm using the same amp as you essentially. There is no need for attenuation as long as you're careful with the volume control. There is also no such thing as an "ideal" wattage for driving a given speaker or headphone.
Actually, my NAD amp does have a 3-position gain switch and I use the lowest setting, so there's some internal attenuation going on inside, but it may well be at the input stage. Just a slight clarification.

EDIT: The main purpose of attenuation would be to put the volume control of the preamp into an optimal (or desired) range at nominal listening levels.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #7,644 of 25,885
As an example, does anyone know why is it that if i search this thread for “Lumin” post 7613 (as an example) does not come up?

does the “search this thread” function not work or am i using it wrong?

(i’ll also bring this to moderators attention)

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #7,645 of 25,885
As an example, does anyone know why is it that if i search this thread for “Lumin” post 7613 (as an example) does not come up?

Hmm, it appears to be a (strange) bug. Searching "L1" does bring up post # 7613.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #7,646 of 25,885

Yes, the search results are often incomplete, on headfi in general. I missed some interesting deals in the past because the search did not find all listings... In another instance I was looking for one of my own posts, and that list was also incomplete.

By the way, there does not even appear to be a search option in the new classifieds section, unless I missed that.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #7,647 of 25,885
Yes, the search results are often incomplete, on headfi in general. I missed some interesting deals in the past because the search did not find all listings... In another instance I was looking for one of my own posts, and that list was also incomplete.

By the way, there does not even appear to be a search option in the new classifieds section, unless I missed that.
I recommend hifishark, that one also searches head-fi classifieds

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #7,648 of 25,885
I recommend hifishark, that one also searches head-fi classifieds
In HiFiShark, if you sign up, you can save your searches for something you are looking for and if it comes up for sale it will let you you know automatically via email.
You can also filter your searches i.e. for locations for instance.
It's a great tool for new and second hand hifi gear around the world.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #7,649 of 25,885
Hey guys,

Not a Susvara owner to be clear, but have owned the HE-6 original 4 and 6 screw and now own the HE-6SE and have driven them all for over 7 years with a vintage speaker amp (the Pioneer Spec 2 amp at 250wpc, fed by a Spec 1 preamp) and have had no issues whatsoever with "too much power" and have used no resistors in the chain. In fact, I tried the HFM resistor box and that lasted about 10 minutes - noticeable veil in the sound to my ears. Yes, you have to be careful how you turn on and off the system (volume knob goes to zero and speaker switch is turned off - as I use the B speaker option for the HE-6SE taps via XLR) but no issues here. And using a preamp as I do probably makes it easier to get more volume knob range.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #7,650 of 25,885
In my experience the Tambaqui is a highly recommendable DAC.

I compared it with my other DACs, lately I used the Susvaras, but most comparisons were done with the the Sennheiser HD800S or with my speakers (Magico S3 Mk2).
If I would be pushed to rank these DACs, that would be the list (first = best):
1. emmLabs DA2 V2
medium gap
2. Mola Mola Tambaqui
big gap
3. dCS Vivaldi (v2.x incl. Upsampler and Clock, I used Mapper 1, which is clearly better than Mapper 2)
small gap
4. Resonessence Mirus Pro and RME ADI 2 Pro FS R
very big gap
6. Resonessence Invicta

Additional remarks to the above list:
- I did not own all DACs at the same time. Only the Mirus Pro was my long time companion.
- each DAC was compared against the Mirus Pro.
- additional direct comparisons: Tambaqui vs emmLabs
- I was not able to distinguish between the Mirus Pro and the RME
- I found the difference between the Mirus Pro and the Vivaldi stack disappointingly small

In case you are interested, this is how I did the "as-blind-as-possible" tests:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...qui-dac/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-1088073

Take it with a grain of salt, it's only my peronal experience and my ears are not young anymore.
Hi!
I want to buy the tambaqui dac together with the susvara headphone.
Did you test the tambaqui headphone amplifier with the susvara? In your opinion, the tambaqui amp is enough to sustain the susvara, or should I buy an exclusive amp and use only the tambaqui as a dac?

Thankyou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back