HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #3,931 of 25,959
Since I am curious, I ordered one and will see if there are any perceivable differences between it and the Bakoon AMP-13R with the Susvara.

For pleasure listening, if a measurable difference is not perceivable, then its only value is a psychological. You feel better because it measures better even though you can't really hear it.

Which is why we should use double blind testing for comparisons. If one's preference comes down to measurements instead of perceivable differences, then one is more interested in the gear itself than what it does for listening to music. Compare the Bakoon and HPA4 and THX 789 in a properly set up blind test and see what happens.

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,932 of 25,959
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #3,933 of 25,959
Compare the Bakoon and HPA4 and THX 789 in a properly set up blind test and see what happens.

One would have to do those tests multiple times and stretch them for weeks most likely. One test wouldn't cut it. We get used to stuff in time and, as much as I enjoy an ABX comparison once in a while (we compare our own stuff :ksc75smile:), familiarity with any audio product but stretched in time is important. Someone in here already wrote something about how his view of that Bakoon changed, I think it was @koven.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #3,934 of 25,959
One would have to do those tests multiple times and stretch them for weeks most likely. One test wouldn't cut it. We get used to stuff in time and, as much as I enjoy an ABX comparison once in a while (we compare our own stuff :ksc75smile:), familiarity with any audio product but stretched in time is important. Someone in here already wrote something about how his view of that Bakoon changed, I think it was @koven.

Indeed.. if I only had one day, or a couple hours, to compare Bakoon w/ HPA4, I may have not bought one. It took me some time to appreciate the nuances Bakoon brought to the table, the favorable modulations on familiar tracks. It doesn't diminish what I think about the stellar HPA4... I simply enjoy the Bakoon a bit more, that's all.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #3,935 of 25,959
Indeed.. if I only had one day, or a couple hours, to compare Bakoon w/ HPA4, I may have not bought one. It took me some time to appreciate the nuances Bakoon brought to the table, the favorable modulations on familiar tracks. It doesn't diminish what I think about the stellar HPA4... I simply enjoy the Bakoon a bit more, that's all.

And in the end, that's all that matters. We make the choices that make us happy, based on subjective impressions. If it sounds better to you, then IT IS better. I just am a fan of blind testing because it has the ability to inject some objectivity into the mix, which adds some grounding to our perspective when deciding what we like.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #3,936 of 25,959
Congrats Steve! You will love them...I absolutely do! SR-009 resolution/speed with ortho weight/bass...have your cake and eat it too! Looking forward to your impressions!
Peter, you were spot on. I received my Susvara today. It sounds fantastic in my system, powered by my Auris Nirvana with NOS tubes and Equi=Tech 2RQ balanced power conditioner. The tonality and timbre are a nice step up from my former HEKSE. The highs are so delicate and clear without being bright. The tonality seems more full bodied than the HEKSE. The sound is full, rich and resolving... absolutely love it. Here are some pics:
Susvara & Auris Nirvana.jpg

Basement Components.jpg
Basement speakers and headphone system.jpg

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #3,938 of 25,959
That is a short cable, do you sit on the ground and listen? :D
Nope, I use a specially made extension cable not shown. The extension cable that I use was made for me by Wireworld out of their best copper interconnect balanced with dual 3 pin male XLR connectors on the amp end and a 4 pin female XLR on the headphone end. The Wywires Platinum cable has adapters for the Susvara and my Utopia.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #3,939 of 25,959
Peter, you were spot on. I received my Susvara today. It sounds fantastic in my system, powered by my Auris Nirvana with NOS tubes and Equi=Tech 2RQ balanced power conditioner. The tonality and timbre are a nice step up from my former HEKSE. The highs are so delicate and clear without being bright. The tonality seems more full bodied than the HEKSE. The sound is full, rich and resolving... absolutely love it. Here are some pics:
Susvara & Auris Nirvana.jpg
Basement Components.jpgBasement speakers and headphone system.jpg

Congrats Steve! After the Susvara arrived, my Stax-longing completely disappeared since I left the mafia a few years ago. They are just that good. Enjoy!

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #3,940 of 25,959
loud enough? That hardly seems to be an issue...I am currently using my formula s/powerman 6 watts at 16ohms with my chord dave/blu2 and have no problem with volume on my susvaras and the bakoon is twice the power of the formula s and everything I have read speaks of people loving the susvara out of the Bakoon
As I understand it (and I have no real understanding of electronics, so please correct anything I say!): power is related to slam/grunt//headroom (measured in watts); gain is related to volume, stated as dBs. Gain is a measure of usable amplification, essentially the ratio of maximum output voltage for a given input voltage at a specified THD. (THD of 0.5% is not just a measurement, it can be heard. That's why I was asking for 0.1%, which I think most audiophiles would agree is negligible. Quite possibly the gain will be almost as much at 0.1% as 0.5%, but still it would be good to know.) Anyway, how much gain the amp provides tells you how loud you can play it before it distorts. (In general, amps sound better if you don't have to push the power supply to near its rated max.)

SNR is measuring something else, a different kind of distortion - how much volume range can you get out of the amp, from its maximum gain to where the signal disappears into the inherent background, operational noise of the amp. This noise is not the same as THD, which is related to the accuracy of the amp in reproducing musical signals.

That's why the spec that Koven got from Bakoon doesn't help much. 96 dB S/N is very good, certainly, but if you want to know how loud it will play into a particular load (60 ohms in this case), power ratings alone won't tell you that, nor will SNR. And as it turns out the SNR was measured at 5 watts into 8 ohms, which is 2 watts more than the amp will provide at 60 ohms, so it can't be very meaningful.

I did email Bakoon asking for gain figures and got this response from So In Chae:

Thank you for your email and interest in our AMP-13R. I followed up the head-fi thread and indeed our AMP-13R is getting discussed there quite a bit. It’s rather unfortunate that I do not own the Susvara, as I know that there are many happy customers and professionals around the world. I certainly hope we can manage to get one pair soon.

As for your questions, we have limited answers available for now, as our R&D center in Japan is closed due to pandemic, and we don’t have direct access with all the measuring equipment there. For now, I can answer that the SNR of 96 dB was measured at 5 watts at 8 ohms. Though we have not tested the AMP-13R at higher impedances, like the Susvara’s 60 ohms, we can expect better “numbers” due to easier load, but will have to confirm later when we get back to our R&D (hopefully soon!)

I want to add one more thing that we have opted not to disclose some of these data, as sometimes it leads to misjudge our products without actual listening. This goes the same for those parts makers, chipsets, etc. Simply put, lowering THD as much as possible was not our main design goal. Quite possibly the most important one was the bias stability, which also lead to greater benefits of removing source resistors, which can be considered a form of feedback. So the AMP-13R is now completely free of feedbacks - and even though this new bias circuit increased THD, it lowered output impedance to about a quarter compared to previous circuit. This was our best design choice, and it delivered much better listening improvements and I believe many are now very fond of.

Low output impedance is a good thing, however I don't understand how a 60 ohm load is easier and will give better "numbers" than a 32 ohm load (which quite a lot of headphones I think are designed to). The higher the resistance the more work the amp has to do, the lower the power it can provide.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #3,941 of 25,959
What is your objective or hypothesis? Are you genuinely trying to speculate how the Bakoon sounds based on THD or is it more of a witch hunt? :) Sure 0.5% can be heard, if you're listening to test tones in an anechoic chamber. Otherwise in more practical applications, THD is more or less irrelevant unless it is extremely high or low, e.g. at <0.001% you can probably have full assurance of zero distortion and vice versa at I don't know, let's generously assume >1%. Anything in between is essentially a gray area on negative audibility, masked by your music, even your room. 0.5% THD translates to -46dB attenuation [20*Log(0.5/100)], if you assume the average listening volume as 80dB, that is a 34dB SPL distortion peak i.e. not constant, so maybe millisecond occurrences. Take your SPL meter, or download one on your phone, and check the ambient noise level in your 'quiet' listening room, I bet it's +/- 30dB, probably closer to 40dB if you have a computer, air purifier, open window, or whatnot. Compound that with the fact that you're listening to music, not test tones, and personally I wouldn't put money on being able to distinguish 0.05% vs 0.1% THD reliably. Yes technically THD, IMD even more so, is an objective reflection of accurate reproduction, but pragmatically it says little about the subjective perception of sound quality. In fact many consider added low or 2nd order harmonic distortion as euphonic and desirable, which is somewhat inherent to many tube topology.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #3,942 of 25,959
Although that's just my experience, I think that cans like Susvaras and that Bakoon amp most likely deserve an outstanding DAC to show what they can really do. I also think that early impressions in audio can be a bit misleading in general. Once we get used to products, we notice new things about them, but this requires time. There were some DACs, amps and cans I considered as OK after some early A-B comparisons, but after several weeks or even months my appreciation for their performance grew and at times significantly :)

After hearing Susvara for the first time I didn't understand all hype about them, but now I do :)

Yes, I have experienced too. You won't learn the quirks and perks until you put some mileage in and really get to know the product. I'm still on the hunt for a DAC that can best the ADI-2 RME, and ARES II in a similar small form factor. I know there are better DACs out there that are very pricey, but they are beasts and belong on a rack, not a desktop.

I also think I we get spoiled by using really good gear. I was blown away by the sq, imaging, clarity and air of Susvara when I first heard them. Now that I have owned them for a while, I take high standard for granted.

Fortunately, I still have good, but lesser pairs of headphones in my arsenal (Final Sonorous VI for example). If I had never heard Susvara, I'd swear that the Sonorous would have kept me happy enough - with no need to get better.

Everyone now and then I A/B those with the Susvara to remind myself how good Susvara are.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #3,944 of 25,959
I've been listening to my new Susvara with my Auris Nirvana amp and it sounds great and it's not even breaking a sweat. At the 9:30 position on the volume knob, it's comfortably loud and by 9:45-10:00 it's very loud. Volume level is one thing, sound quality is totally different. The sound quality of the Susvara/Nirvana is excellent with great resolution, wide and deep soundstage, full bodied and excellent bass. Tonality and timbre are natural and I hear no sense of treble peaks. My Nirvana has been tube rolled with NOS tubes and all my electronics are plugged into a Equi=Tech 2RQ 20a balanced power conditioner.

Late last night and early this morning, I decided to hear how my Luxman P700u would perform with the Susvara. The Luxman is rated at 8w/Ch @ 16 ohms and 4w/Ch @ 32ohms, and distortion is .0020% at 16ohms, 1kHz, 1 w in balanced mode. The P700u is fully balanced and I'm inputing a 4V balanced signal from my Bryston BDA-3 DAC. I'm happy to report that the sound quality is great with the Luxman in the driver's seat. In the high gain setting on the P700u, my volume knob is at about 10:45 at a comfortably loud listening level and anything beyond 11:00 is getting uncomfortably loud. Again, volume is one thing, and sound quality is another. Everything I said about the Nirvana's SQ driving the Susvara holds true for the Luxman. No issues with either amp driving the Susvara. I'm also pleased that the Susvara to my ears is a big step up from the HEKSE that I sold a few months ago.

The only issue I have with my purchase of the Susvara is .... why didn't I purchase this 2-3 years ago? I could kick myself for that misgiving.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,945 of 25,959
Everything I said about the Nirvana's SQ driving the Susvara holds true for the Luxman.

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I know it's not what you intended, but it kind of reads like they sound the same, which I can't imagine is true. What differences are you hearing? I ask because I've tried the Luxman in Tokyo before with HEK/Utopia and it was memorably great. But the 115V version in US goes for double the price of the 100V overseas so it discouraged me from buying one. I think some people buy the 100V and use a transformer, I don't know if that affects SQ. I want to try the P750u at some point though probably not at full US price..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back