HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #3,946 of 25,889
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I know it's not what you intended, but it kind of reads like they sound the same, which I can't imagine is true. What differences are you hearing? I ask because I've tried the Luxman in Tokyo before with HEK/Utopia and it was memorably great. But the 115V version in US goes for double the price of the 100V overseas so it discouraged me from buying one. I think some people buy the 100V and use a transformer, I don't know if that affects SQ. I want to try the P750u at some point though probably not at full US price..

Koven, I spent some time just moments ago comparing the two amps with the Susvara. I only have about 30 hours on the Susvara as I burn them in and I'm still getting a grip on their sound quality. That said, the 2 amps do sound different. It's not surprising that the Nirvana is warmer but the Luxman is by no means lean or cold. I think the Luxman sounds faster and has better control over the bass. The bass is really deep and tight with the P700u. It also has pinpoint imaging and layers within the soundstage are easily heard. They both throw a big soundstage and I'm really not sure which one is the winner for soundstaging. If I had to pick a winner based on this early impression, I would pick the Luxman by a hair. Ask me in a week and I may have a different opinion so take it with a grain of salt. The Susvara and P700u seem to have a special synergy together. All other headphones in my collection (Utopia, 4z, VO, Aeolus) I prefer the Nirvana by a small margin.

Regarding the Luxman price, I received a big discount on a brand new US market P700u about 4 years ago. I also got a big discount on the Nirvana.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #3,947 of 25,889
Koven, I spent some time just moments ago comparing the two amps with the Susvara. I only have about 30 hours on the Susvara as I burn them in and I'm still getting a grip on their sound quality. That said, the 2 amps do sound different. It's not surprising that the Nirvana is warmer but the Luxman is by no means lean or cold. I think the Luxman sounds faster and has better control over the bass. The bass is really deep and tight with the P700u. It also has pinpoint imaging and layers within the soundstage are easily heard. They both throw a big soundstage and I'm really not sure which one is the winner for soundstaging. If I had to pick a winner based on this early impression, I would pick the Luxman by a hair. Ask me in a week and I may have a different opinion so take it with a grain of salt. The Susvara and P700u seem to have a special synergy together. All other headphones in my collection (Utopia, 4z, VO, Aeolus) I prefer the Nirvana by a small margin.

Regarding the Luxman price, I received a big discount on a brand new US market P700u about 4 years ago. I also got a big discount on the Nirvana.

Thanks for the impressions! Look forward to any updates as you listen more. Luxman makes really great stuff. If I stumble upon a 'big discount' 115V P750u in the future, I'd probably give it a go. I have no first hand experience using step up/down transformers on amps but have read mixed feedback on SQ impact so I'm wary.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #3,948 of 25,889
[QUOTE="SteveM324, post: 15688130, member: 5362"

The only issue I have with my purchase of the Susvara is .... why didn't I purchase this 2-3 years ago? I could kick myself for that misgiving.
[/QUOTE]

So funny, I thought that within owning these headphones for 48 hours. :)

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #3,949 of 25,889
Peter, you were spot on. I received my Susvara today. It sounds fantastic in my system, powered by my Auris Nirvana with NOS tubes and Equi=Tech 2RQ balanced power conditioner. The tonality and timbre are a nice step up from my former HEKSE. The highs are so delicate and clear without being bright. The tonality seems more full bodied than the HEKSE. The sound is full, rich and resolving... absolutely love it. Here are some pics:

I noticed in your signature you have the Zesto Andros phono stage listed, but I don't see it in the pictures. Did the Luxman EQ500 replace it? Is it an Andros 1.2?

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #3,950 of 25,889
I noticed in your signature you have the Zesto Andros phono stage listed, but I don't see it in the pictures. Did the Luxman EQ500 replace it? Is it an Andros 1.2?
No, I still have the Zesto Andros. It's the original Andros that I bought about 7 years ago. It's in another system in my house shown here with my 25th anniversary LP12 that has the Keel subchassis, Ekos SE arm, Radikal power supply and Akiva MC cartridge.
IMG_4963.JPG

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #3,951 of 25,889
Just tried the Arya, HEKSE and Sussy yesterday

HEKSE & Sussy def my fav of all time

shortly before that listening session I tried Utopia, Stellia, Clear and Verite. Utopia was easily the most intense

tried hard to nitpick the Sussy but really couldn’t

Verite & Focals demoed w Hugo 2

All 3 HFM’s demoed w Qutest & V281 via balanced output

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3,952 of 25,889
Just tried the Arya, HEKSE and Sussy yesterday

HEKSE & Sussy def my fav of all time

shortly before that listening session I tried Utopia, Stellia, Clear and Verite. Utopia was easily the most intense

tried hard to nitpick the Sussy but really couldn’t

Verite & Focals demoed w Hugo 2

All 3 HFM’s demoed w Qutest & V281 via balanced output
I recently bought the Final Audio D8000 Pro. From an audiophile and price conscious standpoint I felt that I am getting here almost the sound quality of the Abyss TC and the Susvara combined in one headphone but only for a fraction of the price.
The Susvara certainly is a wonderful hp for classic, jazz, female voices, but not so much recommended for music, where a good sub base foundation is needed. Here the Susvara lacks a bit of a "bite".
The TC plays phantastic with all sorts of rock, EDM (basically everything where some extra bass is needed).
So what are you supposed to do if you enjoy a wide range of music? Spend almost $12000,00 and buy the Susvara plus the TC?
Or spend around $3000 (if you shop around a bit) and buy the Final Pro and get a TOTL allrounder hp, which will cover all of your musical needs in superb sonic quality?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #3,953 of 25,889
I recently bought the Final Audio D8000 Pro. From an audiophile and price conscious standpoint I felt that I am getting here almost the sound quality of the Abyss TC and the Susvara combined in one headphone but only for a fraction of the price.
The Susvara certainly is a wonderful hp for classic, jazz, female voices, but not so much recommended for music, where a good sub base foundation is needed. Here the Susvara lacks a bit of a "bite".
The TC plays phantastic with all sorts of rock, EDM (basically everything where some extra bass is needed).
So what are you supposed to do if you enjoy a wide range of music? Spend almost $12000,00 and buy the Susvara plus the TC?
Or spend around $3000 (if you shop around a bit) and buy the Final Pro and get a TOTL allrounder hp, which will cover all of your musical needs in superb sonic quality?

have not had the chance to try D8000, will give it a shot when i can

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #3,954 of 25,889

Yes. In this interview Fan Bain says that the higher end models are more linear in terms of performance and the lower end models generally have a bit of a bass boost. If you like a bit of built in bass boost (I'm someone who does and therefore not a Susvara buyer), the Susvara is not going to be for you:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #3,955 of 25,889
Yes. In this interview Fan Bain says that the higher end models are more linear in terms of performance and the lower end models generally have a bit of a bass boost. If you like a bit of built in bass boost, the Susvara is not going to be for you:

Since I am a fan of classical music, but like to listen to electronic style music with lots of bass as well, like Dubstep, I was kind of stuck with my decision which headphone to buy, since I was not ready to buy both, the Susvara and the TC.
For me that would have been too much money involved.
So I felt the Final D8000 Pro gave me the best of both worlds, without sacrificing too much of the sound quality you would expect from the Susvara or the TC.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #3,957 of 25,889
Instead of trying to find one headphone to do it all, why not pick one for classical and one for dubstep? Audeze LCD-X would be superb if you want bass emphasis, and the HE1000S or the A-T ADX5000 would be ideal for classical and other acoustic music.

LCD-X : $1300
ADX5000: $2000

$3300 total. DONE. Pair the ADX5000 (or even HD800S) with a tube amp, even an inexpensive one like a Bottlehead Crack ($315 DIY), and you're in classical heaven.

I'm no longer considering the Susvara, because even though I can afford it, I cannot abide a $6,000 headphone that isn't perfect for everything, and severely limits amplifier choices. The value just isn't there.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,958 of 25,889
No, I still have the Zesto Andros. It's the original Andros that I bought about 7 years ago. It's in another system in my house shown here with my 25th anniversary LP12 that has the Keel subchassis, Ekos SE arm, Radikal power supply and Akiva MC cartridge.

The Luxman was on my list of phono stages to consider when I decided on the Andros 1.2. I love it. The Luxman is great too.

Edit: Thanks Autocorrect...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,959 of 25,889
I feel with the Susvara you gotta have another 1 or 2 headphones. You need your sweet, luxurious sounding Susvaras for some genres, Abyss/Audeze for bass heavy genres, SR1as/Stax for speed and timing, etc.

I see the Susvaras as a 2nd or 3rd pair of headphones to get to compliment one’s main pair of headphones. They are definitely not a pair of headphones to get for value (though you can probably find a new pair for $4K from your dealer)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #3,960 of 25,889
The Luxman was on my list of phono stages to consider when I decided on the Android 1.2. I love it. The Luxman is great too.
I agree both are great phono stages. It’s hard to beat a great analog system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back