HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #3,124 of 25,688
The Susvara is never really good without excellent amplification according to the majority of posts so need to have a package system
It is true it will scale a bit more with more power.
I always felt it was more cleaner bass than (older) Abyss, and has most distanced presentation while being resolving.
The new abyss I would refer to member lamaluv as I agree with most his observations.

Well? Did it outperform your 009/DIY T2?
I would consider the choice a preference.
If you are into a more expansive presentation, then the Susvara.

With the Stax, you can actually get more bass level by breaking the earpad seal with some foam behind your ears, which would also help image which is a bit too wide due to less angled pads.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #3,133 of 25,688
What is really needed is an easier to drive version of the Susvara, a Susvara-HSE (for High Sensitivity Edition), if you like. Actually, I do not care how it ultimately gets called, provided it offers Susvara-calibre SQ, without the need for endless discussions and considerations of Volcano or Nuclear Reactor calibre headamps or speaker amps, most of which never seem to be optimal, depending on who is talking...

A Susvara that is easy to drive! Now that would be quite refreshing, won't it?

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3,134 of 25,688
What is really needed is an easier to drive version of the Susvara, a Susvara-HSE (for High Sensitivity Edition), if you like. Actually, I do not care how it ultimately gets called, provided it offers Susvara-calibre SQ, without the need for endless discussions and considerations of Volcano or Nuclear Reactor calibre headamps or speaker amps, most of which never seem to be optimal, depending on who is talking...

HE1000se is a Susvara that is easy to drive, IMO.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #3,135 of 25,688

Yes I fully agree. I think this is the reason it has taken so long before we have a V2 of the Susvara. I think the Dr is trying to figure out a way to keep or even improve the SQ but make it easier to drive.

Now, I will say having just heard the Susvara this weekend at a meet driven by a "lowly" THX 789, it still sounded good beating every other HP in the room some driven by the Hugo, oh and the THX wasn't even close to being maxed out. So I am think that these stories of having to have a super powerful amp to drive it is not necessary. Maybe to hear it at its absolute best, it might be....but not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back