HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #2,596 of 25,885
try the formula s, very good amp

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #2,597 of 25,885
Not sure how a wire n gain amp like gsx mk2 could be bright, wrong, or under powered but not saying I would know either that there is something far better. But do agree with the whole rig and I’m sure my server and dac have a lot to do with it, and how I find the synergy excellent. However I bow to 2 things. 1) I see the heavy hitters here so us mortals could have it wrong. 2) susvara if what I heard on my rig was not releasing its potential of what sus can do, demonstrates the fraction of the community that it could enjoy it and it’s over priced segment. I made the correct decision that susvara is not for me. Thx

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #2,598 of 25,885
I’m still enjoying the McIntosh MHA150 and MCT80 pair with the Susvara using the HE-Adaptor. Since moving I’ve been listening to my 803 D3 speakers more than any headphones. It’s been taking months to find the perfect positioning. I think I’ve finally found it and will finally set up a sub and light EQ to iron out remaining kinks due to room modes.

08085B22-F60A-4A99-A739-09B5029CA58F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #2,599 of 25,885
I owned the GS-X mk2 for about a year. Bought it new, sold it at a thousand-dollar loss.

I had more than a half-dozen different headphones go thru my system during that time (Susvara, Abyss Phi, LCD4, Utopia, Clear, Verite, Auteur, ...). I also had about three different headphone tube amps in succession during that period (WA33, Studio Six, Kenzie Encore).

Unfortunately, in hindsight, I can say there wasn't a single headphone that I unreservedly liked with the GS-X, and none that I didn't prefer more with whatever tube amp I had at the given moment. Which is a little demoralizing, as it reminds me that sometimes, I can be a slow learner :D.

I can respect what the GS-X does well, but it's clear to me now that it's definitely not for me. I also thought it was alright-but-just-alright with the Susvara.

Off topic... I'm listening to your old LCD-4s with my Woo WA-6 SE right now. :L3000: I did not expect it to be a good combo, but I love SET amps, and this simple inexpensive (by ToTL standards) setup sounds great to me. I tried them on my Woo WA-5 LE and did not like that combo, but I need to explore it a bit more with different tubes.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,600 of 25,885
I owned the GS-X mk2 for about a year. Bought it new, sold it at a thousand-dollar loss.

I had more than a half-dozen different headphones go thru my system during that time (Susvara, Abyss Phi, LCD4, Utopia, Clear, Verite, Auteur, ...). I also had about three different headphone tube amps in succession during that period (WA33, Studio Six, Kenzie Encore).

Unfortunately, in hindsight, I can say there wasn't a single headphone that I unreservedly liked with the GS-X, and none that I didn't prefer more with whatever tube amp I had at the given moment. Which is a little demoralizing, as it reminds me that sometimes, I can be a slow learner :D.

I can respect what the GS-X does well, but it's clear to me now that it's definitely not for me. I also thought it was alright-but-just-alright with the Susvara.
I owned GSX mk2 before as well and I think its a high value amp in its price range, however it is surely bright in my system which I used a lot of stuff to tune the sound like the footers and interconnect. I bought taralabs 30 LE which is the same level of the zero line, and it turns out still be bright and too push, it is not delicate enough comparing to the next amp I have and surely not musical enough.

What I would say for gsx is that it has a good power to drive headphone, but the tone colour it has is not very in the high end way... sibliance is a great problem with gsx in my view..

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,601 of 25,885
I’m still enjoying the McIntosh MHA150 and MCT80 pair with the Susvara using the HE-Adaptor. Since moving I’ve been listening to my 803 D3 speakers more than any headphones. It’s been taking months to find the perfect positioning. I think I’ve finally found it and will finally set up a sub and light EQ to iron out remaining kinks due to room modes.

Nice setup! I would suggest some acoustic treatment such as bass traps and heavy drapes/curtains on that window. It would make a much bigger difference than positioning/toeing or EQ.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,602 of 25,885

You rock those Bowers good on our behalf!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #2,603 of 25,885
Nice setup! I would suggest some acoustic treatment such as bass traps and heavy drapes/curtains on that window. It would make a much bigger difference than positioning/toeing or EQ.
I agree, but you will virtually need all of those above for a good setup. EQ to compensate the room, acoustic panels and absorber, toes and positioning :). There is nothing better than a properly done, dialed, tuned large stereos for your room. Even expensive speakers would sound like singing ducks without properly compensating the room acoustic. This is where headphones would conveniently taken out of the equation....except...real soundstage

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,604 of 25,885

The GSX mk2 is a peculiar amp. It's very linear and neutral but underpowered for the most power hungry cans, and it doesn't control as well at high output levels compared to the HPA4 and Mass Kobo 394. The 394 earns a recommendation despite being, at least on paper, much less powerful than the GSXmk2 because it retains excellent control and balance up to its max rated output. It's really not quite up to the task of driving something like the LCD4 or Susvara, and that reflects on bass quality and response speed.

Where the GSXmk2 really shines is on relatively efficient cans that need a bit of treble sparkle. The Mysphere 3.2, LCD3F and Ether 2 come to mind. That said, personally there aren't many circumstances where I would prefer it over the 394, and as far as "fun" is concerned IMO the LAG is a more opinionated, but also more engaging amp. It's a bit cheaper than both and easier to find stateside, of course.

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #2,607 of 25,885
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #2,608 of 25,885
The GSX mk2 is a peculiar amp. It's very linear and neutral but underpowered for the most power hungry cans, and it doesn't control as well at high output levels compared to the HPA4 and Mass Kobo 394. The 394 earns a recommendation despite being, at least on paper, much less powerful than the GSXmk2 because it retains excellent control and balance up to its max rated output. It's really not quite up to the task of driving something like the LCD4 or Susvara, and that reflects on bass quality and response speed.

Where the GSXmk2 really shines is on relatively efficient cans that need a bit of treble sparkle. The Mysphere 3.2, LCD3F and Ether 2 come to mind. That said, personally there aren't many circumstances where I would prefer it over the 394, and as far as "fun" is concerned IMO the LAG is a more opinionated, but also more engaging amp. It's a bit cheaper than both and easier to find stateside, of course.

Curious, so the GSXmk2 leans bright with hard to drive cans, and sparkly with not quite as hard to drive cans. Could it be it's just a bright-ish amp? I haven't heard it but am genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,609 of 25,885
Curious, so the GSXmk2 leans bright with hard to drive cans, and sparkly with not quite as hard to drive cans. Could it be it's just a bright-ish amp? I haven't heard it but am genuinely curious.

It is bright in the sense that it doesn't suppress treble like most high end headphone amps.

It's not just bright with hard to drive cans, but also lacking in authority and bass control. The amp is rated at 5w into 50 ohms but given my experience, the control problem shows up pretty quickly after the first watt. Of course, problems show up more readily when the amp's signature leans toward the unforgiving side. Unfortunately this is a problem that shows up rather frequently in high end solid state headphone amps - you'll find the same problem driving the Susvara with the HPA4.

The Headtrip 2 isn't lacking in power, but that amp has its own imperfections. Another reason why I recommend speaker amps for the hardest to drive cans.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #2,610 of 25,885
It is bright in the sense that it doesn't suppress treble like most high end headphone amps.

It's not just bright with hard to drive cans, but also lacking in authority and bass control. The amp is rated at 5w into 50 ohms but given my experience, the control problem shows up pretty quickly after the first watt. Of course, problems show up more readily when the amp's signature leans toward the unforgiving side. Unfortunately this is a problem that shows up rather frequently in high end solid state headphone amps - you'll find the same problem driving the Susvara with the HPA4.

The Headtrip 2 isn't lacking in power, but that amp has its own imperfections. Another reason why I recommend speaker amps for the hardest to drive cans.
Dang, I was really considering the HPA4 as an endgame amp to drive all my headphones. Now I'm thinking I should just stick to my Burson Bang and drive everything from the speaker taps including my Susvara's. With the V6 Classic op-amp install the musicality I'm hearing with the Susvara's is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back