HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 11, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2,581 of 26,687
Please let us know your impressions comparing the AIC 10 Riviera with the Benchmark ahb2. With its very low noise floor it may be more transparent when used as a headphone amp with the Susvara. It is also a steal at its list price.

yes of course, keep in mind that ahb2 is only a final and you must have a source with adjustable volume, while Riviera is an integrated amplifier with 3 inputs and adjustable volume and has the best headphone output I've ever tested and can drive all the headphones with a very high quality.
For now I anticipate that yes, the instrumental black on the Benchmark is very very good and this is a sensation that you immediately perceive, but now it has to play a few hours and then I have to pay attention to the volume, with my Nadac I cannot push over -22db , I'm seriously thinking of a Hifiman he adapter to have no problems...

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,582 of 26,687
yes of course, keep in mind that ahb2 is only a final and you must have a source with adjustable volume, while Riviera is an integrated amplifier with 3 inputs and adjustable volume and has the best headphone output I've ever tested and can drive all the headphones with a very high quality.
For now I anticipate that yes, the instrumental black on the Benchmark is very very good and this is a sensation that you immediately perceive, but now it has to play a few hours and then I have to pay attention to the volume, with my Nadac I cannot push over -22db , I'm seriously thinking of a Hifiman he adapter to have no problems...
I would use it with the CHORD DAVE DAC that can control the volume like a preamp.

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #2,588 of 26,687
Jun 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #2,589 of 26,687
Jun 13, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,592 of 26,687
Gsx mk2 never met a hp it didn’t like
When i had mine, i agree that it does drive everything decently, though it was mainly source dependent due to its transparent nature.
But while it does pair with everything decently, it was never close to bringing out the full potential of some cans, like the susvara/Abyss

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #2,593 of 26,687
When i had mine, i agree that it does drive everything decently, though it was mainly source dependent due to its transparent nature.
But while it does pair with everything decently, it was never close to bringing out the full potential of some cans, like the susvara/Abyss
I beg to disagree that gsx mk2 easily drove susvara. Well med gain at half volume....I have an impressions with sus way back at the beginning of this thread. I do agree that it’s wire n gain so ones dac and server better be good. Granted ymmv and imo because between la900 and hd800S , susvara didn’t find a place on my desk. Well even at 30% disc it’s a bit much, although I found sus harmonious, I just wasn’t wowed

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #2,594 of 26,687
I beg to disagree that gsx mk2 easily drove susvara. Well med gain at half volume....I have an impressions with sus way back at the beginning of this thread. I do agree that it’s wire n gain so ones dac and server better be good. Granted ymmv and imo because between la900 and hd800S , susvara didn’t find a place on my desk. Well even at 30% disc it’s a bit much, although I found sus harmonious, I just wasn’t wowed

If you read a little more, its been already discussed that its not all about volume . I can drive my susvara at listenable volumes with a schiit jotuheim but it lacks the authority, control and staging that hooking it up to a good amp provides.

Gsx lacks the wide, vast sound that some top tier amps provide for the Susvara. Most here find that the Susvara comes to life with power, but others have found that even driving it with a less powerful amp can bring great results too. Its all about synergy of the whole chain, not just the headphone. And IMO, the gsx is a not-so-ideal pairing with the Susvara

If you ever heard a well driven Susvara you'll obviously have a different impression on what these can do. Its all about synergy. After all, ive owned a gsx and it was never really a great amp for the Susvara, you can do a lot better at a much cheaper price .

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #2,595 of 26,687
I owned the GS-X mk2 for about a year. Bought it new, sold it at a thousand-dollar loss.

I had more than a half-dozen different headphones go thru my system during that time (Susvara, Abyss Phi, LCD4, Utopia, Clear, Verite, Auteur, ...). I also had about three different headphone tube amps in succession during that period (WA33, Studio Six, Kenzie Encore).

Unfortunately, in hindsight, I can say there wasn't a single headphone that I unreservedly liked with the GS-X, and none that I didn't prefer more with whatever tube amp I had at the given moment. Which is a little demoralizing, as it reminds me that sometimes, I can be a slow learner :D.

I can respect what the GS-X does well, but it's clear to me now that it's definitely not for me. I also thought it was alright-but-just-alright with the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back