HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 9, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #2,191 of 25,597
At full potential the Susvara is the most complete headphone you can own, "ticking all the boxes".

Yes, this was my impression as well. No weaknesses at all, everything across the board they do really well. Although Susvara's price is off charts, I know no other headphones this complete and balanced.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #2,192 of 25,597
Opposite of my experience.
Had three speaker amps (5yr,10yr,25yr) never had issue.
I believe timimg of what brand & year is the issue as there was time when mass market garbage was prevalent.

It will start to tap out around 3/4 Volume, as most headphone amps do with Susvara.
That being said, it does sound extremely good with the Susvara.

Yet, You really need a speaker amp if you want Susvara to reach it's full potential.
You may not even realize this untill you try.

At full potential the Susvara is the most complete headphone you can own, "ticking all the boxes".

Nothing lacking. No weakness in any audible area. Perfectly layered soundstage and resolve with good bass(depending on amp).
Cant say that for any of the other TOTL headphones:

**Stax009 = detailing/speed(over accentuated details & agressive)
**HD800= soundstage & detailing(no planar bass, accentuated/agressive trebles)
**Abyss Phi= juicy large bass (bass heavy overall, slight dip in lower trebles.)
**Raal ribbon= large image height & top level resolve(a bit forward & les sub-bass impact, like an hd800)
**Empyrean= less soundstage image than others memtioned & slight warmer signature overall.

Of all these the Raal ribbon & the Susvara were the best to vanish and give you the sense of being at the recorded event. Both were driven by the Pass Labs INT-150 when I compared.

You are more than welcome to your experience with power amps. Just do not be upset if people choose to believe the stereo tech. with 30+ years experience over the guy who owned 3 power amps.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #2,193 of 25,597
Something to be said about a high quality compact headphone amp. It fits well with rest of your deal.
20190309_111303.jpg

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #2,194 of 25,597
You are more than welcome to your experience with power amps. Just do not be upset if people choose to believe the stereo tech. with 30+ years experience over the guy who owned 3 power amps.
Apologies to whoever had the repair issues, then thats what happened.
I never owned a Sony amp as I considered it as mass market.

I can also envision that amplifiers are the one unit to take the most abuse, so I can see how failures can happen.

The three amps I had which never gave issue were audiofile amps.
1-Acurus (Mondial)
2- Carver m400t
2- BK ST140

I still have the BK.
:)

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #2,195 of 25,597
Apologies to whoever had the repair issues, then thats what happened.
I never owned a Sony amp as I considered it as mass market.

I can also envision that amplifiers are the one unit to take the most abuse, so I can see how failures can happen.

The three amps I had which never gave issue were audiofile amps.
1-Acurus (Mondial)
2- Carver m400t
2- BK ST140

I still have the BK.
:)

Zero reason to apologize. The Technics amp needed repair not the Sony. Neither power amp was mass marketed. Really rare Japan only power amps from the 1980's. Purchased from the highest pedigree power amp seller in the world.

My point was/is the power amp other then record players, and that is a big maybe, end up needing work more than any other piece. I'm really glad your power amps never broke down but I promise you that a visit to your local stereo tech. will have what I say, which is lots of power amps and very little else.

Dealing with much less power and usually heat, the biggest killer of amps imo., a headphone amp should last many lifetimes without needing a servicing.

Is a power amp the way to go to power your headphones? Maybe. But maybe hauling a 30kg. power amp 50 miles back and forth every few years isn't the best thing either. I will do it but only for a special pair of speakers that I own.

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #2,197 of 25,597
What kind of cable did you get? It looks nice!

I am also amused by the juxtaposition of a $10 computer speaker and $6K headphone.. :p

I contracted a well-respected braider and cable maker in China to make it for me. Highest quality Hakugei silver with Eidolic everything including soldering material.

Those Logitechs are like $60 ok... not $10. It has Toslink baby.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,198 of 25,597
Question guys/girls. How would someone connect the Susvara to the Mytek Brooklyn power amp? Is that a possibility. Because I think I might go for the DAC+ from Mytek as the DAC and maybe their power amp as the amp section.

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #2,202 of 25,597
Are people recommending power amps for these because of quality of sound or does the Susvara need a lot more amps? I listened to this with a GSX mini that was on about 1 o'clock and it was plenty loud.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #2,204 of 25,597
Are people recommending power amps for these because of quality of sound or does the Susvara need a lot more amps? I listened to this with a GSX mini that was on about 1 o'clock and it was plenty loud.
Me too! I think it's due to better dynamics and stuff.

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,205 of 25,597
Me too! I think it's due to better dynamics and stuff.

I mean if I would just need a power amp I have 5 channels of Rotel sitting here doing nothing. What would I use as a pre amp? My fear with a speaker amp is that I would do something stupid like I did at CanJam and plug in another efficient set of Cans after unplugging the Susvara, without turning the volume down......ouch! I would actually be just as worried I might launch the Susvara, if I accidentally turned up the pre on them and gave them a full 80 or so watts of speaker amp power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back