HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 5, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #2,176 of 25,597
Here's the rub(s) though and imo. it is a big one(s).

Power amps by far and away end up on the stereo tech's workbench way more than any other piece of gear. I own 2 power amps just for this reason. A technics se-a100 and sony ta-n902. The se-a100 has already been to the stereo tech twice. The first time to reshape a cap, the second time to replace the cap when the reshaping didn't take. I bought the power amps from hifido.jp as well. The biggest repairer and seller of power amps in the world. A better pedigree for power amps you will not find.

Power amps do not ship well. Hifido.jp is the only company I would trust to ship me a power amp. Buy a power amp from someone that does not know how to package it correctly and the chances of getting an 80 pound box of parts is high.

Buying a new power amp does not get you out of the first two things I mentioned. My stereo tech's house is full of the these new Sun amps. You talk about extraordinarily overpriced junk. One of his customers received his amp broke, brand new. Never got to hear it for one day. Plus they are a total pain to work on.

Power amps really benefit from isolation. Whatever you spend on your power amps, spend at least 25% on isolation. My power amps sit on a 4" mapleshade plinth with thin carpet brass footers. Mandatory.

Long story short my ECP dsha-2 and Mjolnir Octave v2 headphone amps are going NOWHERE and will probably never need a trip to the stereo tech.

Headamp (Justin) does not deserve to be on that list. All his products can be diy. He and Kevein Gilmore offer up their hard work for free. A major asset to this community.

This is all true. That's why it'd be good to pick up any heavy brck of an amp more or less locally and in person or even pay someone reliable to do handle carriage, which would include local listings of used gear and fishing for good deals. But shipping say overseas is always a risk.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 5, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #2,177 of 25,597
I'm glad my kids are young, and I'm ready for speaker game yet. That day will come.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #2,178 of 25,597
Here's the rub(s) though and imo. it is a big one(s).

Power amps by far and away end up on the stereo tech's workbench way more than any other piece of gear. I own 2 power amps just for this reason. A technics se-a100 and sony ta-n902. The se-a100 has already been to the stereo tech twice. The first time to reshape a cap, the second time to replace the cap when the reshaping didn't take. I bought the power amps from hifido.jp as well. The biggest repairer and seller of power amps in the world. A better pedigree for power amps you will not find.

Power amps do not ship well. Hifido.jp is the only company I would trust to ship me a power amp. Buy a power amp from someone that does not know how to package it correctly and the chances of getting an 80 pound box of parts is high.

Buying a new power amp does not get you out of the first two things I mentioned. My stereo tech's house is full of the these new Sun amps. You talk about extraordinarily overpriced junk. One of his customers received his amp broke, brand new. Never got to hear it for one day. Plus they are a total pain to work on.

Power amps really benefit from isolation. Whatever you spend on your power amps, spend at least 25% on isolation. My power amps sit on a 4" mapleshade plinth with thin carpet brass footers. Mandatory.

Long story short my ECP dsha-2 and Mjolnir Octave v2 headphone amps are going NOWHERE and will probably never need a trip to the stereo tech.

Headamp (Justin) does not deserve to be on that list. All his products can be diy. He and Kevein Gilmore offer up their hard work for free. A major asset to this community.

I've had good experiences with shipping speaker amps, as long as I ask UPS/Fedex to pack them with the appropriate foam, and fully insure packages. In fact, the only amp that has even been damaged in shipping on my count is an Eddie Current amp where the amp itself crushed the box containing the tubes in transit. I ship tubes separately from the amp now. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I do find that people use way too little padding on heavy items.

I agree that having a local tech helps. I am fortunate that I can resolve small issues - loose solder joints and such - with my own tools. Having said that, my 2 channel amps haven't even broken on me. Again, this might just be my luck or the cost of my equipment, but my experience with flagship amps have been that they're generally rock solid and will last you many years. I really tried to hear a difference with my Nagra on Nagra's own vibration dampening platform, and I couldn't get anything. Maybe tube speaker amps care about this stuff but I just run it straight off my desk.

Regarding Headamp, I agree that Justin has good products. But when you build something like the GS-X mk2 and charge $3,000 for it, there's no way he's not making a healthy profit off each unit. I have a lot of respect for his work especially regarding the BHSE, but his profit margins aren't lower than the rest of the industry. The BHSE retails for around $5,000 and if you look at the kind of components that are used on an Accuphase or the power supply module on a $5,000 Esoteric, it's not even in the same league as the parts he's using. Nothing on Justin, but he's got to make a living off small batch amps. I wouldn't expect the man to be able to compete with big-name 2 channel companies on component quality.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,179 of 25,597
I've had good experiences with shipping speaker amps, as long as I ask UPS/Fedex to pack them with the appropriate foam, and fully insure packages. In fact, the only amp that has even been damaged in shipping on my count is an Eddie Current amp where the amp itself crushed the box containing the tubes in transit. I ship tubes separately from the amp now. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I do find that people use way too little padding on heavy items.

I agree that having a local tech helps. I am fortunate that I can resolve small issues - loose solder joints and such - with my own tools. Having said that, my 2 channel amps haven't even broken on me. Again, this might just be my luck or the cost of my equipment, but my experience with flagship amps have been that they're generally rock solid and will last you many years. I really tried to hear a difference with my Nagra on Nagra's own vibration dampening platform, and I couldn't get anything. Maybe tube speaker amps care about this stuff but I just run it straight off my desk.

Regarding Headamp, I agree that Justin has good products. But when you build something like the GS-X mk2 and charge $3,000 for it, there's no way he's not making a healthy profit off each unit. I have a lot of respect for his work especially regarding the BHSE, but his profit margins aren't lower than the rest of the industry. The BHSE retails for around $5,000 and if you look at the kind of components that are used on an Accuphase or the power supply module on a $5,000 Esoteric, it's not even in the same league as the parts he's using. Nothing on Justin, but he's got to make a living off small batch amps. I wouldn't expect the man to be able to compete with big-name 2 channel companies on component quality.

Just my 2 cents but yeah I would say you have been lucky with speaker amps. Speaker amps last a long time. Mine are as old as me. But for sure, other than record players maybe, they are #1 at my stereo tech's. Usually just a $50 fix every 3,000 hrs. Like getting your oil changed in your vehicle.

So $3k for a gsx-mk2 and $5k for a bhse is unacceptable but your ultrasone ed.8, 9, and abyss phi is fine? I have tried those headphones. You could not pay me to own them.

The is also ZERO comparing the build quality of those 2 amps to ANYTHING Hifiman. Especially the Susvara. Even the $50K Shang ri la doesn't come close.

Why are you even into headphones? If all that matters is a companies size and their subsequent component quality I got news for ya, there's only 3 big ones as far as hifi goes: Sony, Sennheiser, and only now Focal. Speaker imo. would be a much better choice for you.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #2,180 of 25,597
Just my 2 cents but yeah I would say you have been lucky with speaker amps. Speaker amps last a long time. Mine are as old as me. But for sure, other than record players maybe, they are #1 at my stereo tech's. Usually just a $50 fix every 3,000 hrs. Like getting your oil changed in your vehicle.

So $3k for a gsx-mk2 and $5k for a bhse is unacceptable but your ultrasone ed.8, 9, and abyss phi is fine? I have tried those headphones. You could not pay me to own them.

The is also ZERO comparing the build quality of those 2 amps to ANYTHING Hifiman. Especially the Susvara. Even the $50K Shang ri la doesn't come close.

Why are you even into headphones? If all that matters is a companies size and their subsequent component quality I got news for ya, there's only 3 big ones as far as hifi goes: Sony, Sennheiser, and only now Focal. Speaker imo. would be a much better choice for you.
+1 he talk like fanboy, no facts just biased opinions from him. If big companies use magical parts then go for it... parts from big companies must be from other planet according to him.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #2,182 of 25,597
In the context of Susvara your words are made of gold.

giphy.gif

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #2,183 of 25,597
For planar magnetic headphones and especially for hard to drive ones, a respectable speaker amp is a good way to get them to sing. If you know which speaker amp to look for they can be a solid bang for the bucks solution, particularly if brought used. It’s not the only way thought and will because of size, heat and the extra precaution needed not be for all.

My 2c

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #2,187 of 25,597
Well, I bit the bullet and broke the bank and placed an order for the US4+, should be here by this time next week. Exciting days!
I've heard nothing but great things about that amp.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #2,190 of 25,597
Power amps by far and away end up on the stereo tech's workbench way more than any other piece of gear.
Opposite of my experience.
Had three speaker amps (5yr,10yr,25yr) never had issue.
I believe timimg of what brand & year is the issue as there was time when mass market garbage was prevalent.

The US4+ is a fantastic amp and has no issue driving the Susvara at all (w/ the pre gain settings up to +12 or +18db depending on what voltage your DAC outputs). If you have a chord M scaler you will be in Heavan:)
It will start to tap out around 3/4 Volume, as most headphone amps do with Susvara.
That being said, it does sound extremely good with the Susvara.

Yet, You really need a speaker amp if you want Susvara to reach it's full potential.
You may not even realize this untill you try.

At full potential the Susvara is the most complete headphone you can own, "ticking all the boxes".

Nothing lacking. No weakness in any audible area. Perfectly layered soundstage and resolve with good bass(depending on amp).
Cant say that for any of the other TOTL headphones:

**Stax009 = detailing/speed(over accentuated details & agressive)
**HD800= soundstage & detailing(no planar bass, accentuated/agressive trebles)
**Abyss Phi= juicy large bass (bass heavy overall, slight dip in lower trebles.)
**Raal ribbon= large image height & top level resolve(a bit forward & les sub-bass impact, like an hd800)
**Empyrean= less soundstage image than others memtioned & slight warmer signature overall.

Of all these the Raal ribbon & the Susvara were the best to vanish and give you the sense of being at the recorded event. Both were driven by the Pass Labs INT-150 when I compared.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back