HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #2,161 of 25,597
I would think the Brooklyn Speaker amp would be fine (tons of power) but not the Brooklyn DAC/AMP. I have the DAC /Amp and even w/ the balanced output (cable that pugs into both 1/4" jacks) it does not drive the Susvara to it's potential
Yeah, I was thinking of getting the Brooklyn DAC+ as the dac.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #2,163 of 25,597
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,164 of 25,597
All, just FYI. Tried the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum with Susvara last night.

Not the best pairing. In short, its crisp n clean but too lean. Not enough meat on the bones and if you volume up, highs become too bright to tolerate.

I found my NAD BEE 316c from speaker taps to do a more balanced job with more meat.

Short term will drive from a vintage Marantz 2245 and long term save for a Luxman p-750.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #2,166 of 25,597
Ok, here are some shots of my Susvara with the newer build.

Essentially, it looks like they painted the grills and used ink for the lettering instead of etching/pressing the lettering.

I like the look of the older build better with the brushed metal, but I think the QA was hit/miss.

My only 2 minor complaints on build for my version is the gimbals squeak a little bit and the 2.5mm TRS that go into the headphones should have been at an angle or include spring strain reliefs.

I've found they get in the way when I'm lying in bed and I'm worried they will eventually break.

Attachments

• DSC00161.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00162.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00165.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #2,167 of 25,597

Essentially, it looks like they painted the grills and used ink for the lettering instead of etching/pressing the lettering.

I like the look of the older build better with the brushed metal, but I think the QA was hit/miss.

My only 2 minor complaints on build for my version is the gimbals squeak a little bit and the 2.5mm TRS that go into the headphones should have been at an angle or include spring strain reliefs.

I've found they get in the way when I'm lying in bed and I'm worried they will eventually break.

You probably forgot to insert your uploads.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,168 of 25,597

So the build changed?

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #2,170 of 25,597
Well, the build has changed since the Susvara's were originally released. From memory, the pair I had auditioned a year ago had a brushed metal finish and etched/engraved/embossed lettering.

The finishing was done by hand and the quality was not up to the standard expected in a $6000 headphone.

This is true. When I received my second pair of Susvara, after selling my original, when I opened the box I was a bit confused. I was like....wait...is this different? I think it is. The finish is now more of a powder coated type of finish, vs my original pair that had the same finish as the he1000.

I don't remember the etched lettering, I think it is the same?

To be honest, it's not a big deal, they are very similar. So similar that I was unsure if it had even changed.

Just a running change I guess, no big deal.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,171 of 25,597
LOL, we're talking about the Susvara like it's to the inefficiency level of ye old AKG K1000's.

Speaker amps are literally better amps. A lot of summit-level headphone amps are extraordinarily overpriced by speaker amp standards (Wells Audio is the worst offender, but also Woo, Headamp, Vioelectric, etc.). The 2 channel market is much larger and the big players sink a lot more R&D into their flagships. For the Susvara, aside from size, heat, and resell-ability, I don't see any reason why one would not go for a used speaker amp on a $3,000 or higher budget over a headphone amp.

I run my Diana Phi/ 1266 Phi's straight out from a Nagra Classic INT and it is decisively better than any solid state headphone amp I've heard them out of. I don't think that there is a solid state headphone amp in existence that's close to as good as the Nagra. And the power amp version of that amp can sometimes be found for less than $6,000. The choice is even easier to make with the Susvara because they'll have even less of a noise floor issue.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #2,172 of 25,597
Speaker amps are literally better amps. A lot of summit-level headphone amps are extraordinarily overpriced by speaker amp standards (Wells Audio is the worst offender, but also Woo, Headamp, Vioelectric, etc.). The 2 channel market is much larger and the big players sink a lot more R&D into their flagships. For the Susvara, aside from size, heat, and resell-ability, I don't see any reason why one would not go for a used speaker amp on a $3,000 or higher budget over a headphone amp.

I run my Diana Phi/ 1266 Phi's straight out from a Nagra Classic INT and it is decisively better than any solid state headphone amp I've heard them out of. I don't think that there is a solid state headphone amp in existence that's close to as good as the Nagra. And the power amp version of that amp can sometimes be found for less than $6,000. The choice is even easier to make with the Susvara because they'll have even less of a noise floor issue.
Having tried and owned a lot of the summit-fi amps, I completely agree with everything you said.
Ive come to realize that a good speaker amp is a good amp nevertheless.
Most people are just too skeptical to try it for themselves, and thus, missing out on what most planars are actually capable of.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #2,175 of 25,597

Here's the rub(s) though and imo. it is a big one(s).

Power amps by far and away end up on the stereo tech's workbench way more than any other piece of gear. I own 2 power amps just for this reason. A technics se-a100 and sony ta-n902. The se-a100 has already been to the stereo tech twice. The first time to reshape a cap, the second time to replace the cap when the reshaping didn't take. I bought the power amps from hifido.jp as well. The biggest repairer and seller of power amps in the world. A better pedigree for power amps you will not find.

Power amps do not ship well. Hifido.jp is the only company I would trust to ship me a power amp. Buy a power amp from someone that does not know how to package it correctly and the chances of getting an 80 pound box of parts is high.

Buying a new power amp does not get you out of the first two things I mentioned. My stereo tech's house is full of the these new Sun amps. You talk about extraordinarily overpriced junk. One of his customers received his amp broke, brand new. Never got to hear it for one day. Plus they are a total pain to work on.

Power amps really benefit from isolation. Whatever you spend on your power amps, spend at least 25% on isolation. My power amps sit on a 4" mapleshade plinth with thin carpet brass footers. Mandatory.

Long story short my ECP dsha-2 and Mjolnir Octave v2 headphone amps are going NOWHERE and will probably never need a trip to the stereo tech.

Headamp (Justin) does not deserve to be on that list. All his products can be diy. He and Kevein Gilmore offer up their hard work for free. A major asset to this community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back