HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 5, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,066 of 25,603
So is there any opinion about whether the Susvara needs more/better power than the HEK/v2?
So if my amp does well with the HEKv2, can I assume it's a good match for the Susvara?
It took a while, but now my HEKv2 is sounding really nice (w/Norne Draug2 balanced cables).
The Norne cable finally gave it a nice liquid sound in the mids and made the highs sound non-brittle, like a dynamic headphone.
The Susvara needs a little more power then the HEKV2 but they are pretty close in power requirements.
I am currently using a Eddie Current studio fed BY a Lampi gen 4 Big7/Sony DVP9000 as a CD transport source.High Fidelity CT1 interconnect to the Studio

I am also using A High fidelity trinity headphone module out of the Studio That feeds the Susvara I am currenty breaking in the new Dana lazuli ref ultra cable on the Susvara as well.Killer combo.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,067 of 25,603
OK, good. Thanks for that. Yeah, I do like the HEK a lot so I need to try a Susvara down the road...

(FWIW, my 2nd favorite headphone from Hifiman is the long-gone HE500; I had it for a long time but finally sold it when I got the HEK. Just IMHO. Anyone who is looking for a bargain I think should seek out a used HE500, a real classic that punches way above it's cost.)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,068 of 25,603
The Susvara needs a little more power then the HEKV2 but they are pretty close in power requirements.
I am currently using a Eddie Current studio fed BY a Lampi gen 4 Big7/Sony DVP9000 as a CD transport source.High Fidelity CT1 interconnect to the Studio

I am also using A High fidelity trinity headphone module out of the Studio That feeds the Susvara I am currenty breaking in the new Dana lazuli ref ultra cable on the Susvara as well.Killer combo.

I'm not sure I would agree. It depends on your listening volume I suppose, but the Susvara needs a good bit more power and gain than the HE1000V2. I did an AB test at a local shop with them both and found the Susvara needed a lot more in the way of volume than the HE1000V2.

Your setup sounds heavenly by the way.

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,069 of 25,603
The Susvara (83dB sensitivity) will need slightly more than 4x the amount of power as the HE1000 v2 (90dB sensitivity) to reach the same volume, by the numbers (double power for every 3dB increase in loudness). This is also not even considering the Susvara’s 60 Ohm impedance vs the HE 1000v2’s 35 Ohm impedance.

Those who think they are close to the same efficiency should probably volume match properly.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,070 of 25,603
So is there any opinion about whether the Susvara needs more/better power than the HEK/v2?
So if my amp does well with the HEKv2, can I assume it's a good match for the Susvara?
It took a while, but now my HEKv2 is sounding really nice (w/Norne Draug2 balanced cables).
The Norne cable finally gave it a nice liquid sound in the mids and made the highs sound non-brittle, like a dynamic headphone.

something that dries Hekv2 well might not do it for susvara...as imo susvara needed even more power than Abyss, so to put it in perspective. Susvara is probably the hardest to drive headphone on the market right now.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,071 of 25,603
I must repeat it again after several days but Susvara sounds incredible directly from Chord Dave. It is the first time in my life I am not sure if I need an extra amp for headphones. Anyone compared Susvara directly from Dave and an external amp?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,072 of 25,603
I can't speak for the Susvara, but I find my HEKv2 really benefits from the external amp I use with my dave. Even with the amp, the volume control needs to be around the 3'oclock position, quite higher than with my other headphones, even Audeze.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,073 of 25,603
OK, good. Thanks for that. Yeah, I do like the HEK a lot so I need to try a Susvara down the road...

(FWIW, my 2nd favorite headphone from Hifiman is the long-gone HE500; I had it for a long time but finally sold it when I got the HEK. Just IMHO. Anyone who is looking for a bargain I think should seek out a used HE500, a real classic that punches way above it's cost.)

I still own the HE500 Mine is hardwired with wireworld 6 eclipse cable & it punches well above its weight class.

I'm not sure I would agree. It depends on your listening volume I suppose, but the Susvara needs a good bit more power and gain than the HE1000V2. I did an AB test at a local shop with them both and found the Susvara needed a lot more in the way of volume than the HE1000V2.

Your setup sounds heavenly by the way.
My Lampi source outputs 3volts so that may be the difference.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,074 of 25,603
The Susvara (83dB sensitivity) will need slightly more than 4x the amount of power as the HE1000 v2 (90dB sensitivity) to reach the same volume, by the numbers (double power for every 3dB increase in loudness). This is also not even considering the Susvara’s 60 Ohm impedance vs the HE 1000v2’s 35 Ohm impedance.

Those who think they are close to the same efficiency should probably volume match properly.

In My setup the volume for the HEKv2 would be at 11:00 as opposed to 11:30 on the volume knob location for the Susvara.And that is pretty loud.
When I was using my VSElevel 5 modded Sony DVp9000 as a source which has a lower then 2volt output
Volume knob was at 3:00 position for the HEKV2 as opposed to almost 4;00 position for the Susvara for the same volume.So source output means a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,075 of 25,603
I must repeat it again after several days but Susvara sounds incredible directly from Chord Dave. It is the first time in my life I am not sure if I need an extra amp for headphones. Anyone compared Susvara directly from Dave and an external amp?

Using a external amp over the Dave gives it a little more Weight & impact.But that also depends on the amp.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,077 of 25,603
Mike Powell made us some cables that have really brought out the best in our Susvara rig. !! I don’t know if he plans to market them for the retail market or not...and I don’t know what he’ll charge, but if you have a balanced system, you’ll want to audition these...Verastarr (probably not for the Sabre chip DAC folks, unless you’re following it with a tube somewhere in the circuit...FPGA may also be iffy-(not in the tree but at conversion-like Chord, though ymmv) we’re using the Vermeer TWO into the Trafomatic PrimaVera presently and it’s sublime.

Maybe it’s my head, but compared to other reference cans, I really find these comfortable.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,078 of 25,603
Susvara is probably the hardest to drive headphone on the market right now.
Yes but the good thing is that it sounds very detailed and natural even with lesser power amps.

The Dave does not distort as if it had some active circuitry so it sounds very nice off the Dave.

Susvara signature presentation is a different sound than objectively "neutral"...

As although it poses such realistic timbre,
the presentation is a slightly laid back/relaxed and a few feet further out, compared to the Phi and HEKV2.
Clarity and realism is tops though.
IMHO nothing tops the Susvara & Abyss Phi.
Edit**
Stax009 & Utopia reach that level resolve as well.
All a preference choice.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,079 of 25,603
Yes but the good thing is that it sounds very detailed and natural even with lesser power amps.

The Dave does not distort as if it had some active circuitry so it sounds very nice off the Dave.

Susvara signature presentation is a different sound than objectively "neutral"...

As although it poses such realistic timbre,
the presentation is a slightly laid back/relaxed and a few feet further out, compared to the Phi and HEKV2.
Clarity and realism is tops though.
IMHO nothing tops the Susvara & Abyss Phi.

To which Hifiman headphone is Susvara the closest (in signature/tonality) ? Sundara, HE-560, HE-6, HEX v1, HEX v2, HEK v1 or to HEK v2 ? (it seems you´ ve heard everything out there:slight_smile:)
From my experience HEK v2 (I havent heard Susvara, Sundara and HEX v1) had the most neutral tonality imo. Is Susvara overall brighter headphone than HEK v2 ?

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,080 of 25,603
To which Hifiman headphone is Susvara the closest (in signature/tonality) ? Sundara, HE-560, HE-6, HEX v1, HEX v2, HEK v1 or to HEK v2 ? (it seems you´ ve heard everything out there:slight_smile:)
From my experience HEK v2 (I havent heard Susvara, Sundara and HEX v1) had the most neutral tonality imo. Is Susvara overall brighter headphone than HEK v2 ?

using the saying “because it sound good”. Whatever priced down next to Susvara will be closest to Susvara sound. Just kidding, I am curious if someone had tried all Hifiman line up to answer you this question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back