HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #14,238 of 25,551
Your history with it (and @Ciggavelli 's) was one of the reasons I didn't sell it. Just figured I'd hold onto it for a while and try it at different times with different amps.

The piano really got me. I was listening to Tingvall Trio Vagen when it clicked. Piano, drum, bass, speed, and some amazing micro and macro dynamics on that album. I love piano. Piano, as you all know isn't easy to reproduce. I think the Susvara may be the most natural reproduction of piano I've heard.

It's definitely a highly amp dependent phone. I don't think I would have gotten there without the Bakoon/Enleum. Now I am dreaming about big solid state speaker amps, and if I am missing out on something more. That said, on high gain, I'm at like 9 oclock - 10 oclock with the Susvara - and 10 o clock is really freaking loud. It's not a 100 watt power amp, but does 4 watts into 60 ohms. I can't imagine needing more headroom. At this level, I imagine the bigger power supply from a bigger amp may increase dynamics and bass further - but I am not really left wanting for anything at it's current level.
I should add that it all came together for me when I bought my 13r which made the susvara simply sound right to me.....

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #14,239 of 25,551
(Apologies as this is probably a question that’s been asked dozens of times)

Any Susvara owners also own (now or in the past) the utopia? How would you say they stack up against one another, specifically in terms of detail retrieval and comfort?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #14,240 of 25,551
(Apologies as this is probably a question that’s been asked dozens of times)

Any Susvara owners also own (now or in the past) the utopia? How would you say they stack up against one another, specifically in terms of detail retrieval and comfort?
I owned and loved the Utopia for a couple of years prior to purchasing my Susvara. Once I got the Sus, I only rarely listened to the Utopia anymore. There just wasn't any area where I felt the Utopia was superior, and it was notably behind the Sus in soundstage size, detail retrieval, and comfort. Recently, I sold the Utopia even though I still think it's a fantastic headphone. That's a testament to the greatness of the Susvara. I also wanted to clear space and funds for at least one estat. Note that if I had a context where I needed a high fidelity, portable open back, I'd probably still own the Utopia.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #14,241 of 25,551
if you can spring for a proper amp for the susvara there is really no comparison...

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #14,242 of 25,551
My ROOMs stand is perfectly great for the Sus if I remove the cables first. Can hang it by the metal frame just fine. Cables attached, I need to hang it by the strap, but the stand has so much surface area I don’t see an issue. And it’s nice and sturdy - no wiggling or wobbling

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #14,243 of 25,551
With the Woo Audio stand, it goes very high and can accommodate the Susvara with cables. I have 1 Rooms adjustable stand for my SR1as and then a custom Abyss one. The adjustable Rooms stand doesn’t go anywhere near as high as the Woo Audio one. Due to this, the rest of my headphones are on Woo Audio stands. I guess the Rooms stands look better, but functionally the Woo Audio stands accommodate headphones with cables better 🤷‍♂️

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #14,244 of 25,551
I published my replacement plate for rooms pro. Just unscrew the old one and pop it on. Made it because I hate using two hands to grab my headphones. For my taste, the original is way too wide. Works well with susvara and cables attached.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5241835/files

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #14,245 of 25,551
With the Woo Audio stand, it goes very high and can accommodate the Susvara with cables. I have 1 Rooms adjustable stand for my SR1as and then a custom Abyss one. The adjustable Rooms stand doesn’t go anywhere near as high as the Woo Audio one. Due to this, the rest of my headphones are on Woo Audio stands. I guess the Rooms stands look better, but functionally the Woo Audio stands accommodate headphones with cables better 🤷‍♂️
They are high enough for all my headphones. And we have a similar collection haha..

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #14,246 of 25,551
They are high enough for all my headphones. And we have a similar collection haha..
I guess I mean they are high enough for the cables to not make a sharp angled turn at the bottom. I’m paranoid about that putting too much stress on the headphone connector. I’m also paranoid that taking the cables on and off every time will also hurt the connector. I don’t know if it is warranted paranoia, but when I had cheap headphones when I was younger, the connector and headphone cables would always start to create static if I continually took the cable off too much or bent it too sharply. I guess in theory higher end headphones should be better with that, but I’m still remaining cautious

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #14,247 of 25,551
I guess I mean they are high enough for the cables to not make a sharp angled turn at the bottom. I’m paranoid about that putting too much stress on the headphone connector. I’m also paranoid that taking the cables on and off every time will also hurt the connector. I don’t know if it is warranted paranoia, but when I had cheap headphones when I was younger, the connector and headphone cables would always start to create static if I continually took the cable off too much or bent it too sharply. I guess in theory higher end headphones should be better with that, but I’m still remaining cautious
Yeah I'm less paranoid lol

EDIT: I hadn't even raised it completely haha... I did just now and there is plenty of space for me.

Attachments

• 2022-02-11 09.02.45.jpg
    2022-02-11 09.02.45.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #14,248 of 25,551
Man, I was wrong about these headphones - the midrange is excellent and they are not boring at all.

I've listened to them exclusively for the past 3 days late into the night - and I am shocked at how good they are.

I am trying to figure out what the hell is going on and why it took this long for these headphones to click with me. I think part of it was my later acquisition of the Enleum Amp 23r and the associated amp burn in with that. I do think brain burn in with these is real, especially because I am predisposed to cooler headphones - and these can sound off if you are listening to the Abyss, LCD-5 and Utopia all day.

It didn't take a couple hours to click, it took half a song (after 8 months). It was almost like "All Along the Watchtower" was played on Battlestar Galactica, a switch flipped, and I knew I was a Cylon. Since, I have listened for 18 hours or so and I am just awe struck. It's like I have a new pair of headphones, and I am listening to my collection through it for the first time. I am having the amount of "wow" moments, I typically get when I get a new headphone that will be one of my favorites. It's very strange that it took this long, and I've never experienced it with another headphone like this.

It's like new toy syndrome, but I have had this headphone for 8 months - so new old toy syndrome. It's really fascinating how our brains work - and why it sometimes takes so much time for our brain to lock in on a particular frequency response - which can be effected greatly by the other tranducers we are listening to - and then once that happens - you can't turn it off.

Remember back at the nebula when I told you about that frackin music?
I thought it was in the ship, I was wrong.
It was a signal. Some crazy fracked up Cylon signal.
Switched me on. I can't turn it off!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #14,249 of 25,551

I think your concern is warranted. a 3.5mm connector, while it can vary in quality, is a 3.5 mm connector. I've had plenty of issues with 3.5 mm connectors on high-end daps.

For the cups, I wish Hifiman would use one of the many locking connectors that are available. I mean mini-xlr is pretty popular (Audeze, Abyss TC, Meze), Lemo with the Utopia (though they also use 3.5mm for the Clear). I don't know what they are called, but even the strange - sometimes annoying connecter DCA uses (I actually quite like them) would be way better. With a DAP or another 3.5mm input gravity isn't working against it. With Headphone cups, as the connectors are perpetually upside down, it wouldn't surprise me if they loosen. I think you are right to limit the amount of times you switch cables with these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back