HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 12, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #14,266 of 25,660
I have never had sibilance from my Susvara's when either using my SS Chord Mezzo 140 Power Amp nor my Hifiman EF1000. Maybe I have been lucky !
I too have been very surprised when people write about sibilance or some peaking in the top end of the susvaras as well as the empyreans.

I have never heard such a thing - maybe that’s my age or my set up.

And that’s coming from someone who enjoys the original hd800 (with tubes). And yes I understand how punters could say the hd800 can be bright.

Ymmv

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #14,267 of 25,660
Here's something worth trying.
Wherever it is you want the gap to be, try adding small circular self-adhesive felt furniture pads at those point and have a listen. Thes should create a gap, and you can choose their thickness as well.

This is rather similar to the Feilian3 port mod here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hekv2-se-feilian-port-mod.876187/post-16004287
It's a simplified version of @Maxx134's original idea.

This worked wonders for for my HEKse - improving a lot more than just the bass (actually, the bass was lower down the list of significant improvements).
I have wondered if the same would work for Susvara and help get those diaphragms moving more efficiently.
But I've never had a Susvara at home, so wasn't sure if the pad clip mechanism was the same as in the HEK.

The exact gap size matters with this mod to get the most benefit with the least downside (e.g. over-bloated bass). But I wouldn't live without this mod now for my HEK.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #14,268 of 25,660
I finally get Enleum AMP-23R for my Susvara. I tried it with V590 Pro but I felt V590 Pro couldn't power the Susvara appropriately. The sound was soft and blurred somehow. With AMP-23R, I can feel it power Susvara to the fullness. However, the vocal is still sibilant. I only use the Susvara for about 10 hours in total. Does it happen with only this unit or it needs more time to burn in?
Is the Enleum on the high gain setting? Also, you might want to try a different/better DAC if you're indeed using the Qutest in that chain.

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #14,269 of 25,660
I finally get Enleum AMP-23R for my Susvara. I tried it with V590 Pro but I felt V590 Pro couldn't power the Susvara appropriately. The sound was soft and blurred somehow. With AMP-23R, I can feel it power Susvara to the fullness. However, the vocal is still sibilant. I only use the Susvara for about 10 hours in total. Does it happen with only this unit or it needs more time to burn in?
An Mscaler would help that :wink:

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #14,270 of 25,660
And an Mscaler + TT2 would really help that :)

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #14,271 of 25,660
The susvaras had me at hello.

i first demoed them with the moon430had and immediately i was struck with what i would call their transparent nature.

just took me about 3 or 4 years (i think) to financially be ready to splurge on them and the niimbus us4 amp

It's strange isn't it? That's how I felt with the Abyss TC. Of course, the first time I heard an Abyss TC was on a Woo Wa33 Elite at CanJam. I then bought a Formula S, sold it, then a Wa33, traded it in, now I have a Wa33 Elite. Would have probably been cheaper had I just bought that from the beginning - I just couldn't fathom at the time buying a $15k headphone amp. I still love the Abyss TC. I also felt that way with the LCD-5 - but had some fatigue until I dialed in the EQ. But, for me, at least - to truly have a rotation of headphones and not fall back on using the same set over and over again - there has to be moments where you think "This is my best headphone" with each one. I now feel that way with the Abyss TC, LCD-5 and Susvara.

I want to upgrade something or buy another headphone because I always do. But if I'm honest with myself, I never had such good headphones, for me, with such good synergy with the electronics I've paired them with. I think back a couple years ago when I had an 009 / Carbon / Yggdrasil setup. It was good, no doubt, but it wasn't even close to what I'm experiencing now. If it's not obvious from my gear list, I really think planars are the way to go with headphones. You get the speed and resolution of e-stats WITH bass. I'd like to have a Utopia, or maybe an sr1a - but I think the most interesting developments in headphones in the past ten years have been with planar drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #14,272 of 25,660
Deleted

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #14,273 of 25,660

In all seriousness, I think it's your source. I don't even get a hint of that with the 23r and Mscaler + Dave. I did experience a burn in period with the 23r, however. Though - I didn't experience what you have.

Edit: I didn't realize you were using the qutest as your source. While not at the level of TT2 and Dave, It's a great DAC and I know many others using that setup with the 23r and Susvara to great effect. I also have a Hugo 2, which is basically the same DAC. I've tried it in a variety of setups and It has never caused sibilance.

I would:

- Burn in the 23r / Susvara a bit longer (The US distributor, Jaguar audio design, recommends 250 hours - I don't think it takes anywhere near this long, but I definitely noticed some improvements at 50 -100 hours.)
- If you have optical on your PC, I would try it to the qutest to rule out an especially noisy USB connection. If not, maybe try a quality affordable DDC like Matrix or Singxer - and use some form of Spdif output on that.
- Play with the output voltage on the qutest (I think it defaults to 3v, I would bring it down to 2 volts to ensure you aren't clipping the input of the amp).
- Test the tracks you are experiencing sibilance with on other headphones. Are you sure the sibilance isn't on the recording, or is it being caused by the headphone/amp/dac combo?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #14,274 of 25,660
Burn in the 23r / Susvara a bit longer

Yup, that ought to remove any residual harshness on top, unless some specific poorly recorded tracks have it embedded, which happens every now and then.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 12, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #14,275 of 25,660
This is rather similar to the Feilian3 port mod here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hekv2-se-feilian-port-mod.876187/post-16004287
It's a simplified version of @Maxx134's original idea.

This worked wonders for for my HEKse - improving a lot more than just the bass (actually, the bass was lower down the list of significant improvements).
I have wondered if the same would work for Susvara and help get those diaphragms moving more efficiently.
But I've never had a Susvara at home, so wasn't sure if the pad clip mechanism was the same as in the HEK.

The exact gap size matters with this mod to get the most benefit with the least downside (e.g. over-bloated bass). But I wouldn't live without this mod now for my HEK.
I want aware of the mod you linked to your post regarding mine. Anyway, I figured the felt furniture pads is the most simple reversible mod one can try to create the gap they're looking for to improve on a fuller sound. I've no reason at all to try this on either my HE1Kv2 or Utopia.

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #14,276 of 25,660
I do get some sibilance on some recordings with my susvara and 13r ..depends on recordings...same with all HP's pretty much that are very detailed...the sr1a which is the most detailed HP I have ever heard has the problem on some recordings as well...not a lot you can do about it and some are more sensitive to it than others

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #14,277 of 25,660
I don't want to do tubes and I have never heard class A..So what is the closest to 23r sound that is around 2k ? I'm not willing to spend over that on an AMP. Also not interested in burson, I don't want a fan in my AMP.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #14,278 of 25,660
I think the Kinki EX-M1(+). That’s what I have and it’s quite good. Interested to hear other suggestions people may have.

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #14,279 of 25,660
I think the Kinki EX-M1(+). That’s what I have and it’s quite good. Interested to hear other suggestions people may have.
The Kinki is a fantastic amp but it's closer to the $3k mark which is a bit above what Tachyon88 is looking to spend.

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #14,280 of 25,660
I don't want to do tubes and I have never heard class A..So what is the closest to 23r sound that is around 2k ? I'm not willing to spend over that on an AMP. Also not interested in burson, I don't want a fan in my AMP.
Maybe look into a CFA-3 (or Susy Dynahi) build from @Dukei

Alternatively, used integrated speakers amps in the 2k range, but that depends on whats available. You could pick up a used Kinko EX-M1 in the 2k range no problem.

Could also check out the FluxLab Acoustics amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back