HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #13,456 of 25,709
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #13,457 of 25,709
If it was tyl we’d have dan clark headphones taking up the top positions
:)
btw I haven’t looked at resolve’s ratings but is his ratings based on no eqing? Or with eqing?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #13,458 of 25,709
btw I haven’t looked at resolve’s ratings but is his ratings based on no eqing? Or with eqing?
Some of us do not us EQ and it would be better to have two separate lists, one with and one without EQ. When a manufacturer designs a headphone do they consider that EQ will be incorporated by most listeners?

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #13,459 of 25,709
Some with EQ and some without

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #13,460 of 25,709
exactly, kind of silly...I am fine with somebody saying they like the susvara more than the TC..I own both but to suggest the TC is a few rungs down is just silly and believe I know this is all subjective but come on lol..I would say exactly the same thing if he put the susvara in rung 5...
My honest feedback, I found the 1266 TC quite a poor performer for the asking price. A fellow local audiophile lent me his pair in exchange for susvara, and I felt bad telling him my impressions when returning to him. I do think Susvara, and to a lesser degree LCD5/ Utopia are more competent and mature offerings.

- Surprisingly poor resolution (a bit hazy and smeared vs things like Susvara, Utopia, LCD5, LCD4, HE6 or HD800
- Tuning is just… not my thing, but even more so, objectively not very natural
- Poor sub-bass - this is what startled me. From all the discussions praising its bass, I was unable to get adequate low bass and this is after 32 figment configurations. The general bass of the 1266 TC is full, powerful, and the presence is fantastic (one of the best), but it’s all happening within 120-250Hz - at least predominantly. It explains why I found the general sound a bit smeared and smoothed over. This is a bass that overpowers the low mids, and makes a lot of vocals sound off. The sound is equally bassy as it is smoothened as opposed to say what an LCD4 or HE6 can render
- Comfort is not good

Now the good things:

- Great soundstage thanks to the floating design
- The treble has a sparkle and shimmer quality to it which offsets the wonky tuning down low and makes it more forgivable. They really do sound like your classic vintage Hi-Fi speakers with a v-shape sound which has a lot of macro dynamics and tactility with a weighty tone, but also make guitars sound present. They’re fantastic with rock and metal, and generally poor recordings
- Tweak-ability. As someone who is super anal and obsessive with fine-tuning all elements and variables with audio, I drove myself crazy listening to these with as many fitments possible - and I love that I have this option
Resolve listens to jazz and music where realism and frequency evenness is preferred over bass response and staging. There's always a subjective element to every review.
I do believe Andrew listens to a lot of metal too, which is quite different of course.

I do know that if I had to compound my preferences with or without taking into account specific music genres, I would definitely come up with different lists. So he did a great job of generalizing it in my opinion

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #13,461 of 25,709
My honest feedback, I found the 1266 TC quite a poor performer for the asking price. A fellow local audiophile lent me his pair in exchange for susvara, and I felt bad telling him my impressions when returning to him. I do think Susvara, and to a lesser degree LCD5/ Utopia are more competent and mature offerings.

- Surprisingly poor resolution (a bit hazy and smeared vs things like Susvara, Utopia, LCD5, LCD4, HE6 or HD800
- Tuning is just… not my thing, but even more so, objectively not very natural
- Poor sub-bass - this is what startled me. From all the discussions praising its bass, I was unable to get adequate low bass and this is after 32 figment configurations. The general bass of the 1266 TC is full, powerful, and the presence is fantastic (one of the best), but it’s all happening within 120-250Hz - at least predominantly. It explains why I found the general sound a bit smeared and smoothed over. This is a bass that overpowers the low mids, and makes a lot of vocals sound off. The sound is equally bassy as it is smoothened as opposed to say what an LCD4 or HE6 can render
- Comfort is not good

Now the good things:

- Great soundstage thanks to the floating design
- The treble has a sparkle and shimmer quality to it which offsets the wonky tuning down low and makes it more forgivable. They really do sound like your classic vintage Hi-Fi speakers with a v-shape sound which has a lot of macro dynamics and tactility with a weighty tone, but also make guitars sound present. They’re fantastic with rock and metal, and generally poor recordings
- Tweak-ability. As someone who is super anal and obsessive with fine-tuning all elements and variables with audio, I drove myself crazy listening to these with as many fitments possible - and I love that I have this option

I do believe Andrew listens to a lot of metal too, which is quite different of course.

I do know that if I had to compound my preferences with or without taking into account specific music genres, I would definitely come up with different lists. So he did a great job of generalizing it in my opinion
That's a fairly accurate assessment

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #13,462 of 25,709
Has anyone tried eqing Susvara with oratory’s eq setting for harman target? How was it?
I jualst tried it using the DSP eq in Roon and it sounds good to me.👌 I couldnt tell you exactly the difference but I like what it brings... like a sound that is more flat but I like also without eq like gives you like unexpected thrills. I eould have zo listen a full day and then switch without eq. I am not the guy who thinks you can immediately compare by A/B switching I need to have a long listen session and then differences emerge .... What are your own impressions ?

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #13,463 of 25,709
That's almost two weeks... Not even plastic is that malleable, much less, solid state components. Solid state components should take no more than 30 minutes-1 hour to warm up and settle. If not, then that points to terrible quality control and manufacturing techniques. If you don't like it after the first few days, return it and don't play into the trap of the manufacturer.
As time passes I find myself going back in time. I am at 10 oclock and heading to 9 right now. It appears the Kinki loves being cooked and needs at least 3/4 hour of warm up. In the beginning 10mn I also heard cracks in my HEKSE wich disappeared as time passed ... Taking notes for my review.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #13,464 of 25,709
I can't read the whole thread but would it be safe to say that Susvara owners are happy with the Ferrum Oor?
Yes (just to add to the wave of support)

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #13,465 of 25,709
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #13,466 of 25,709
I think mid-fi headphones will always have their 'best case' music matches... I love my HD650 with great rock and bass heavy music but prefer the HD800 with classical / opera / Jazz.

Was it late at night? All headphones sound better after the sun goes down 🤣
As soon as I get my system to consistently sound like it does late at night or early morning, I'll hang it up and be done

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #13,467 of 25,709
Thank you for your response LarsMan. Yes, the Holo May KTE is the current front-runner in my mind after reading all the info I could find, but I'm open to other's opinions.
I always have to give my buddy over at M2 Tech my highest recommendation. His Young Mkiii and MkIv along with his Vandergraf Mkii is insanely good, used by many in the music industry along with some unnamed Grammy award winners. I've had the mki Mkiii and MkIv the 3 and 4 are top flight. Huge stage, analog, huge power, excellent detail 2.4/5v se 5v/10v xlr (selectable output voltage)

ps sorry for the double post

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #13,468 of 25,709
I always have to give my buddy over at M2 Tech my highest recommendation. His Young Mkiii and MkIv along with his Vandergraf Mkii is insanely good, used by many in the music industry along with some unnamed Grammy award winners. I've had the mki Mkiii and MkIv the 3 and 4 are top flight. Huge stage, analog, huge power, excellent detail 2.4/5v se 5v/10v xlr (selectable output voltage)

ps sorry for the double post
Do you think the difference between mkiii and mkiv is worth 550$ ?

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #13,469 of 25,709
Do you think the difference between mkiii and mkiv is worth 550$ ?
The Mkiv is 3200 inside the US and I think the Mkiii is 1800 or so. Both are excellent, yes I believe 4 is better but it's also a different chip set AKM ) I use both depending on which amp I use since Vandergraf can run four units at the same time

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #13,470 of 25,709
The Mkiv is 3200 inside the US and I think the Mkiii is 1800 or so. Both are excellent, yes I believe 4 is better but it's also a different chip set AKM ) I use both depending on which amp I use since Vandergraf can run four units at the same time
I could have a M2 young 1'750$ but not envisioning it right now though I heard it is spectacular with the susvara and would be a tremendous partner for.my little.Kinki 😎👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back