HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #13,396 of 25,705
Does WDW include clean power? Because I’m finding a Susvara driven by a chain with very very clean power to be amazing. Difference with clean power is so noticeable, I feel the differences in opinion on amp pairings might be due to the confounding factor of power hygiene and power paraphernalia’s ability to aid in instantaneous current delivery.
Well it could but let’s not confuse WDW with the more specific and elaborated WDWWTAOCP (“WDW with the assistance of clean power”)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #13,397 of 25,705
For me what's wilder is that I cannot sell even my "lower-tier" headphones because they sound just as good as my "flagships" on some nights. I tried giving my Denon D9200, LCD-X 2021, and Beyerdynamic T1 a "final audition" before being sold and all three sing like F#cking angels and blow mind with how good they are... sigh. I don't need to sell them except for my 'psychological barrier' that says I must sell some to "justify" purchasing more (LCD-5, Elite, Solitaire P, Hugo TT/Scaler, WA33, etc. etc.) but sadly cannot seem to let any of them go.

Don't get me wrong the Susvara, Utopia, D8K Pro, LCD-4Z do sound "better" (yes more details, blah blah blah) but at a point where it doesn't really matter. I think I just have to admit that my ears have gotten old... too old and not sensitive enough to distinguish between 'mid-fi' champs and modern TOTL. I started in my late teens with the 3 best headphones in the world, the HD650, K701, DT880, driven from first generation headphone amps from companies that no longer really exist. I've aged sadly and have become less critical / cantankerous :laughing: My ears and brain are not up to snuff.

Honestly, the LCD-X 2021/D9200 driven from a Bifrost 2 / SA-1 ten years ago would have blown everyone's socks off and would have been god-tier. Now they are mid-fi (sort of). I'm even happy with the Bifrost 2 / Qutest / GS-X Mini even after hearing the TT2/M-Scaler with the WA33 (yes they are better of course) but I think I've reached some kind of threshold where I can groove to the music without worrying at all... confused about where to head next or just stay and enjoy for a while until my ears age even more :joy: (I do enjoy having a large harem of headphones as I'm kind of a head-fi pervert) - hopefully in ten years I can leave this hobby and listen to whatever wireless garbage Apple has released in 2031- old man with blissful dead ears (at that point I'll randomly pick some kid on Head-Fi and send him my Susvara)
Love this ... :)

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #13,401 of 25,705
I have read somewhere the Hifiman team keeps updating tjeir gear in "stealth" mode. Is it true ?
The stealth magnet tech that they’re applying to their products are trickled down from the Susvara.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #13,402 of 25,705
The stealth magnet tech that they’re applying to their products are trickled down from the Susvara.
Yep, I just added an Arya (Stealth magnets version) to my "harem" of cans, and I'm enjoying it immensely, while the Susvara and others take a long break. @IZONE is not the only Sheikh on the thread, I'm afraid :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #13,403 of 25,705
Is there a sonic difference between the 2.5mm Susvara (older model) and the current 3.5mm ? I have read somewhere the Hifiman team keeps updating tjeir gear in "stealth" mode. Is it true ?

Comparing a 2.5mm next to a 3.5mm Susvara, they sound identical. Personally heard no difference.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #13,405 of 25,705
Is there a sonic difference between the 2.5mm Susvara (older model) and the current 3.5mm ? I have read somewhere the Hifiman team keeps updating tjeir gear in "stealth" mode. Is it true ?
I think that something that's been around as long as that would have changes done to it as time and technology moves on; not big enough changes to warrant a new model, but a slight improvement in this-or-that. I might be mistaken, but I think it's that way with most electronics companies and their gear....

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #13,406 of 25,705
So let the shootout begin ... Well I will have to wait 1 more day for the Kinki THR-1 to enter the shootout !

Attachments

• 20211228_180808(1).jpg
    20211228_180808(1).jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #13,407 of 25,705
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #13,408 of 25,705
Oh well I see I am responsible for a misunderstanding. as always Im a little bit on planet Mars... I was not speaking of the Stealth magnet but of the Hifiman team making slight upgrades on the Susvara itself without telling their users about those little improvements. So I used the word stealth meaning something that was done without being communicated.

Evidently it was deemed to set confusion because of the Stealth magnet technology involved in the Susvara.

I apologize to the fellow members for this misunderstanding ! 🙏😇

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #13,409 of 25,705
I've owned 3 different Susvara's and they all sounded the same. One was the original 2.5mm version, then a newer 2.5mm version, and then a 3.5mm version.

I do think that as the pads wear and compress it is possible (within reason) for the sound to change, so keeping the pads fresh is a good idea I guess, either from Hifiman or a 3rd party pad manufacturer.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #13,410 of 25,705
Well it could but let’s not confuse WDW with the more specific and elaborated WDWWTAOCP (“WDW with the assistance of clean power”)
Sir, I like your style! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back