HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 25, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #13,306 of 26,709
I've posted this in HEkSE feed too. One Xmas question for owners of Susvara and HEkSE: can Susvara punch so hard as HEkSE in your setup? That is my only complain against Susvara that is holding me to keep it. :frowning2:

HEkSE is punching like champ on my setup, IDK if it is caused by great synergy with my AMP or it is standard HEkSE feature. Susvara is almost as soft like AryaV2, so I'm missing that punch. I've tried my speaker amp (Onkyo A8850) from speaker taps - stageing was a bit different and presentation too, but punch was still missing = on the same level as my H20. I'm puzzled. :frowning2:

My 7day trial period for Susvara is nearing to the end, and I must to decide me what to keep. Thank you for suggestions/experiences?

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #13,307 of 26,709
I've posted this in HEkSE feed too. One Xmas question for owners of Susvara and HEkSE: can Susvara punch so hard as HEkSE in your setup? That is my only complain against Susvara that is holding me to keep it. :frowning2:

HEkSE is punching like champ on my setup, IDK if it is caused by great synergy with my AMP or it is standard HEkSE feature. Susvara is almost as soft like AryaV2, so I'm missing that punch. I've tried my speaker amp (Onkyo A8850) from speaker taps - stageing was a bit different and presentation too, but punch was still missing = on the same level as my H20. I'm puzzled. :frowning2:

My 7day trial period for Susvara is nearing to the end, and I must to decide me what to keep. Thank you for suggestions/experiences?

It has been a while since I owned both, but I'd tend to agree with your Arya analogy, punch wise. The Susvara isn't really punchy

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #13,308 of 26,709

I've tried the he1kv2 vs the Susvara on my Hugo 2, diablo, and Soekris dac1321 + phonitor One with the zen stream and CD transport + OCXO setup. The way I gather it vs hearing the he1k and he1kse in different setup locations before is that the he1k series is tuned for systems with a higher noise floor where the perceived bass sounds more proper than the Susvara. On my system, I couldn't last a single song on the he1kv2 because the bass is lifted and too punchy, giving me ear trauma to my surprise. The Susvara has a much much lower extension and has the ability to give the distinctly seperate the sub bass rumble from 'cradle to grave' to kick drum in a rock band to the synthdrum in an electroband. On the he1kv2, all those are mushed together in my system, or rather the bass is quite lifted and so punchy the distinction is lost. I didn't bother paring down my chain because I know it'll sound like the majority of the impressions between both headphones. The Susvara and the Stealth sounds closest together except that the Stealth is just better in everything plus has more proper midbass.

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #13,309 of 26,709
I've tried the he1kv2 vs the Susvara on my Hugo 2, diablo, and Soekris dac1321 + phonitor One with the zen stream and CD transport + OCXO setup. The way I gather it vs hearing the he1k and he1kse in different setup locations before is that the he1k series is tuned for systems with a higher noise floor where the perceived bass sounds more proper than the Susvara. On my system, I couldn't last a single song on the he1kv2 because the bass is lifted and too punchy, giving me ear trauma to my surprise. The Susvara has a much much lower extension and has the ability to give the distinctly seperate the sub bass rumble from 'cradle to grave' to kick drum in a rock band to the synthdrum in an electroband. On the he1kv2, all those are mushed together in my system, or rather the bass is quite lifted and so punchy the distinction is lost. I didn't bother paring down my chain because I know it'll sound like the majority of the impressions between both headphones. The Susvara and the Stealth sounds closest together except that the Stealth is just better in everything plus has more proper midbass.
wow that is a big endorsement for the stealth

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #13,310 of 26,709
In my experience, the dynamic qualities of the Susvara are primarily dependent on the power actually supplied by the headphone amplifier. The Hifiman really comes alive only beyond a supply of at least 2 x 10 watts per channel - also gladly at corresponding speaker outputs.
As a result, I achieved particularly good results with a Viva Solista (2 x 22 watts at 8 ohms), but of course also with the Riviera AIC10, by the way, also at the speaker outputs.
I can also warmly recommend the Auris Headonia 2A3 or a Trafomatic Primavera for the congenial interaction with the Susvara.

Greetings
Fidelio

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #13,311 of 26,709
None of the HFM summit-fi / TOTL HPs try to be punchy. I wouldn’t call the HEKSE punchy. Maybe I am spoiled by the TC.

That said, these days, with the right chain, I honestly don’t miss the punch when I am listening to the Susvara. It sounds completely all right at worst and amazing most of the time, lol.

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #13,312 of 26,709
Susvara would sound like a multi-driver floorstanders with no large cones for proper sub bass playback in room with a distinct brightness in the room tone the seems to cut the mid bass and makes the vocals silky. But like the crossovers were designed where it can dig deep and produce some sub bass but the trade off is there is a hole in the mid bass region.

Stealth is like proper floorstanders with dual subwoofers with amazing blending in a acoustically calibrated room. And the treble and midrange cones are coaxial designs with wave guides.

He1kv2 is like box speaker trying to do bass but it's just punchy. All quantity. No details.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #13,313 of 26,709
Don't take everything you read at face value. Many people, myself included, couldn't get any bass out of the Stealth, and found the sound rather tinny. That notwithstanding, there was absolutely no sonic parameter at which I found the Stealth to equal (let alone best) the Susvara, other than lack of leakage, of course. All IMHO, of course, but bear in mind that I bought and think highly of the DCA Aeon Noire, so it's not like I hate the DCA "house sound" out of hand.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #13,314 of 26,709

The punch is there it needs power. I’m not familiar with what you listed but the punch is there on susvara.

And that’s what puzzles me about your assessment of he1000. It’s like a laid back susvara that’s missing detail and depth. I sure don’t miss them at all now.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #13,315 of 26,709
Don't take everything you read at face value. Many people, myself included, couldn't get any bass out of the Stealth, and found the sound rather tinny. That notwithstanding, there was absolutely no sonic parameter at which I found the Stealth to equal (let alone best) the Susvara, other than lack of leakage, of course. All IMHO, of course, but bear in mind that I bought and think highly of the DCA Aeon Noire, so it's not like I hate the DCA "house sound" out of hand.
+1

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #13,316 of 26,709
Not the fault of the Stealth, at all. You may need to look into your chain why the response is like so. DCA wouldn't launch a product with tinny bass in a close back and metamaterial where he can control the frequency.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #13,317 of 26,709
Ditto. Had some time with the Stealth and it was a pretty quick no for me. My reference has always been Susvara & TC. Stealth was not at all anywhere near the performance I enjoy out of TOTLs. Driven out of the TT2 which is as clean a source you can get, did not do it for me.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #13,318 of 26,709
Not the fault of the Stealth, at all. You may need to look into your chain why the response is like so. DCA wouldn't launch a product with tinny bass in a close back and metamaterial where he can control the frequency.
The chain wasn't the problem. I heard the Stealth on several different amps, some featured in the DCA room itself, at CanJam. I then took it up to my hotel room overnight and listened to it on my own components of known quality, including at one point the Apollon Purifi Mini power amp (185W into 8 ohms). Finally, I gave it one last chance at The Source AV. I wanted to like/love the Stealth, but it just didn't happen!

Furthermore, many people whose ears I respect had the same impressions I did. If you hear it differently, that's great.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #13,319 of 26,709
How about your Susvara chain? I recall you enjoy the Susvara out of the Hugo 2 so… 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back