HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 21, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #13,262 of 26,714
Here is a detailed review of the Kinki THR-1 !

The stuff about the unbalanced XLR's input and outputs bothers me a little .... Can it have a negative impact ? I guess (hope) not so much ...
Personally I do not feel that there is much difference in performance between balanced and unbalanced input. Please share your view when your unit arrives.

I am fully satisfied with the pairing of WA22 as preamp and THR-1 as poweramp for my Susvara.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #13,263 of 26,714
The subwoofer+Susvara function via the GT is fun, I’m listening to the combo now. Unsurprisingly it further expands the soundstage and solidifies the perception that the music fills the whole room. There’s Intimate details & vocals + expanded soundstage + tactile bass.

It doesn’t need much, the tiny little Cambridge Audio minx subwoofer is proving more than enough with the volume rather low.
Do you encounter any delay in the subwoofer bass? Thanks.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #13,264 of 26,714
Do you encounter any delay in the subwoofer bass? Thanks.
I didn’t encounter delay using same setup at Pash. I currently use a subwoofer via my rca outs in my Spring 3. Don’t think I can use open back headphones without a sub anymore. The Mysphere 3.2 started me on this sub path and the open backs in my collection are continuing it.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #13,265 of 26,714
I didn’t encounter delay using same setup at Pash. I currently use a subwoofer via my rca outs in my Spring 3. Don’t think I can use open back headphones without a sub anymore. The Mysphere 3.2 started me on this sub path and the open backs in my collection are continuing it.
Nice I remember trying a sub with headphones 15 years ago with good results. Just a happy coincidence at that time.

I'm looking at the Paradigm Defiance X10 and X12. X12 goes a bit deeper. Still debating. What sub are you rocking now?

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #13,266 of 26,714

What do you set your subs cut off frequency at ?

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #13,267 of 26,714
What do you set your subs cut off frequency at ?
Nice I remember trying a sub with headphones 15 years ago with good results. Just a happy coincidence at that time.

I'm looking at the Paradigm Defiance X10 and X12. X12 goes a bit deeper. Still debating. What sub are you rocking now?
I’m using an SVS Micro 3000 under my desk but I’ve got an REL T5X and a Kef KC62 both in my office. I’m going to connect the REL to the Enleum 23r that a friend loaned me to try using high pass connection. I’ll make note of my crossover when I get home but I’m using the SVS in the chain now because I can adjust the gain/volume from the app on my phone (instead of having to get under my desk and reach behind the sub) based on which headphones I’m using.

I’d say I’m around 80hz though for low pass currently but I’m connected via L/R RCA outs in my Spring 3 so the sub gets full signal and my headphone amp get full signal it’s just crossed over below 80hz to my sub meaning it only plays below 80hz to avoid the 100hz bloom a sub can give in my experience.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #13,269 of 26,714
I’m using an SVS Micro 3000 under my desk but I’ve got an REL T5X and a Kef KC62 both in my office. I’m going to connect the REL to the Enleum 23r that a friend loaned me to try using high pass connection. I’ll make note of my crossover when I get home but I’m using the SVS in the chain now because I can adjust the gain/volume from the app on my phone (instead of having to get under my desk and reach behind the sub) based on which headphones I’m using.

I’d say I’m around 80hz though for low pass currently but I’m connected via L/R RCA outs in my Spring 3 so the sub gets full signal and my headphone amp get full signal it’s just crossed over below 80hz to my sub meaning it only plays below 80hz to avoid the 100hz bloom a sub can give in my experience.
Looks like a solid choice. I like the looks of the KC62 but having no grill is a no go. Still have young kids. I think I will go for the SVS Micro 3000 :) ....

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #13,270 of 26,714

Sorry I was wrong. I’m running low pass at 50hz 😬.

Attachments

• 42332511-505E-44EE-9268-A8632F0D92EB.png
    42332511-505E-44EE-9268-A8632F0D92EB.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #13,271 of 26,714
That's interesting, but just to clarify, can you defeat its volume control entirely?
I keep the THR-1 at maximum volume, with WA22 preamp mode to control the volume. I only use this for Susvara as there will be a faint hum at the right channel for more sensitive headphones such as Empyrean and Stellia.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #13,272 of 26,714
Sorry I was wrong. I’m running low pass at 50hz 😬.
Nice. What has been your favorite headphone to pair with the subs so far ?

I really want two svs 16 subs for my speakers, but I can't fit any subs in my room. I could under my desk for my headphones though.

Is it easy to localize the position of the sub or does it all mesh together and sound congruent ?

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #13,273 of 26,714
Interesting collection, you've got.
Yeah... it's kind of a transitional collection. I went from a living situation where only IEMs were allowed (due to noise and my partner) at which point I sold most of my open back/closed back headphones/related gear and gave some away to my close friends/family. I'm now at an environment where open backs are allowed on occasion and closed is almost always allowed so I've been transitioning back into full-sized open back stuff. I may just sell some portable gears/IEMs and a few headphones and re-invest in full-sized source/amp gear - been doing a lot of reading/research. My current trajectory is TT2/M-Scaler + WA33 (or AHB2 interim with my GS-X Mini as pre). Holo May & Terminator also looks interesting as does the Yggy. I'm afraid to buy the Dave because it's not only expensive but Rob will release the Dave 2 with built-in 2M-Scaler the week after I purchase the Dave. He told me he's waiting for me to purchase the Dave so he can make the announcement for Dave-2M :joy:

*in other news, the LCD-5 is finally launching officially in my country on Christmas Eve... I don't think I can avoid buying it :sweat_smile: once that's in the house I can do some shootouts/death matches and figure out which babies will need to go as no sane man has time for sixteen headphones. Maybe eight or nine but not sixteen :grin: (Susvara will stay until I can properly drive her and see her in all her glory)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #13,274 of 26,714
I keep the THR-1 at maximum volume, with WA22 preamp mode to control the volume. I only use this for Susvara as there will be a faint hum at the right channel for more sensitive headphones such as Empyrean and Stellia.

The reason why I've asked about this is that having two volume controls in a setup is not ideal. But then again, you probably use your amp like so because that's how it sounds best. If it works, it works :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #13,275 of 26,714
The reason why I've asked about this is that having two volume controls in a setup is not ideal. But then again, you probably use your amp like so because that's how it sounds best. If it works, it works :)
What would you recommend ? And how can that improve the.performance ?
I guess it would be to have the preamp in passive volume modeb (I mean when you cant change the volume of the preamp) and control the volume on the amp only ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back