HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #13,246 of 26,709
I like the lcd-5 but aside from the fact that they are far easier to drive IMHO the susvara is better by a not insubstantial amount...BUT,they do require an added expense of a serious amp that the 5 doesnt so there is that

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #13,247 of 26,709
I have both Susvara and LCD-5 in now auditioning with my setup (both are excellent pieces, no question) and of the two, even with my modest signal chain, I still prefer the Susvara over the LCD-5. The timbre/textures and positional realism the Susvara presents blows my mind - and if it does this to me with my current gear I can imagine it will only get better as I focus future upgrades to be better capable in meeting the Susvaras needs.

In the past quarter some of the other headphones I have had on loan are Stellia, Diana V2, LCD-24, 1266 Phi TC and of those the Susvara comes in ahead, for me.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #13,248 of 26,709
So if one owns the Susvaras does it make all the other HFM headphones redundant? I used to enjoy low bass shelf Arya V2s for amazing sub bass reproduction. Once in a while I want a bass heavy set of cans. Susvara have nice balanced bass but I want to rock out sometimes.

I like the Aryas as I find them bright and adding a low bass shelf actually subdues the treble energy. Wondering if any other HFM cans have better bass and soundstage than an EQ’d Arya. Thanks.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #13,249 of 26,709
So if one owns the Susvaras does it make all the other HFM headphones redundant?
I wouldn't want to speak for anyone else but for me and my circumstances, yes. I think I will be looking to sell the HEKv2. My Hifiman fascination started off with an Edition X V2 - Oh man that huge planar stage and warm tone was nuts and I was hooked. Later, I took it next level with the HE1000v2 - choosing the v2 over SE because I preferred that warmer tone of the v2. The Susvara now takes over being my big Hifiman planar, even if the sub-bass is not as consistently present, it is there when the tracks offer it, plus all of the other technical abilities the Susvara brings to the table make it worthy of first chair in my setup. Also, I have a Final Audio D8000 pro and it slams pretty hard and its bass, tone and texture rivals the Susvara and considering the other technicalities of the D8Kpro, IMO it surpasses the HEKv2. So for the time being it is my complimentary headphone to the Susvara. Though I eventually feel that I will end up replacing the D8Kpro with 1266 TC or Diana TC.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #13,250 of 26,709
So if one owns the Susvaras does it make all the other HFM headphones redundant? I used to enjoy low bass shelf Arya V2s for amazing sub bass reproduction. Once in a while I want a bass heavy set of cans. Susvara have nice balanced bass but I want to rock out sometimes.

I like the Aryas as I find them bright and adding a low bass shelf actually subdues the treble energy. Wondering if any other HFM cans have better bass and soundstage than an EQ’d Arya. Thanks.
I used to own the Arya, but I sold it because the Susvara had better resolution/detail and the rest felt redundant. If you want bass heavy, 1266 is the way to go, and potentially the DTC (I haven't heard it yet, but hearing good things related to the 1266 so far).

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #13,251 of 26,709
I have both Susvara and LCD-5 in now auditioning with my setup (both are excellent pieces, no question) and of the two, even with my modest signal chain, I still prefer the Susvara over the LCD-5. The timbre/textures and positional realism the Susvara presents blows my mind - and if it does this to me with my current gear I can imagine it will only get better as I focus future upgrades to be better capable in meeting the Susvaras needs.

In the past quarter some of the other headphones I have had on loan are Stellia, Diana V2, LCD-24, 1266 Phi TC and of those the Susvara comes in ahead, for me.
Thanks for all the helpful replies to my questions. In the week I've had the Susvaras, I've liked them more & more. They look like keepers now to me. Plus, I've been reading & watching reviews of the LCD-5 that make me believe I would not like them as well as Susvara.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #13,252 of 26,709

No for instance I have the HEKSE which is kind of Susvara's little brother and I also have and enjoy a Denon AH d9200 which is a totally different use case (closed one can enjoy it in a crowdy room and without anoying others) and also a final audio a8000 which is another use case (can use it while comuting)

Apart from the use cases they have different flavours. Ill put it this way: If you like caviar shall you renounce to smalked salmon and oysters. Well some people dont like oysters I guess... :wink:

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #13,253 of 26,709
I wouldn't want to speak for anyone else but for me and my circumstances, yes. I think I will be looking to sell the HEKv2. My Hifiman fascination started off with an Edition X V2 - Oh man that huge planar stage and warm tone was nuts and I was hooked. Later, I took it next level with the HE1000v2 - choosing the v2 over SE because I preferred that warmer tone of the v2. The Susvara now takes over being my big Hifiman planar, even if the sub-bass is not as consistently present, it is there when the tracks offer it, plus all of the other technical abilities the Susvara brings to the table make it worthy of first chair in my setup. Also, I have a Final Audio D8000 pro and it slams pretty hard and its bass, tone and texture rivals the Susvara and considering the other technicalities of the D8Kpro, IMO it surpasses the HEKv2. So for the time being it is my complimentary headphone to the Susvara. Though I eventually feel that I will end up replacing the D8Kpro with 1266 TC or Diana TC.
I'll be keeping my D8K Pro. It's a unique sounding planar that doesn't sound like anything else on the market. People who are used to Audeze and Hifiman might not really understand the sound but it does things no Audeze or Hifiman can do. It sounds like a dynamic driver with planar speed. It provides a different type of realism and naturalness. My theory is that the circular tracing and magnets bring back the old ortho-magic. Susvara is hyper-realism, like better than reality, while D8K Pro is just regular plain real. It may not drop your jaw initially but the more you listen the more you realize something is quite special. Empyreans also have a little bit of this but not like the D8K Pro which is a great complimentary headphones to Susvara as it sounds very different while giving you something interesting. Audeze and Hifiman have a planar timbre/coloration that some people can hear while others are oblivious to it. This is why some people heavily prefer dynamics and the D8K Pro seems to ride this balance really well. IMHO of course... :sweat_smile: (sorry to interrupt all the D8K bashing)

D9200 also has a very organic/soft timbre like the driver was made of fabric... wait it is made of fabric! It's like the opposite of the hard metal driver timbre of Focal. It's perfectly balanced (not your normal scooped Denon/Fostex mids) and presents an amazing value for the money with very little weaknesses. The only real issue is that it's not quite fast enough to keep up with higher planars, basically like Beyerdynamic T1 speed but slightly slower, but yeah the sound is just velvety and beautiful with pretty good speed and detail retrieval, another winner IMO (the bamboo cups smell like baby unicorns). Sorry I have a lot of favorite headphones :grimacing:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #13,254 of 26,709
I used to own the Arya, but I sold it because the Susvara had better resolution/detail and the rest felt redundant. If you want bass heavy, 1266 is the way to go, and potentially the DTC (I haven't heard it yet, but hearing good things related to the 1266 so far).
This is kind of true. I have the Arya V3 and while it does its own thing there are large parts that overlap with the Susvara and those parts the Susvara just pulls ahead. This is very different from the Audeze line where each piece is distinct enough to keep. The LCD-X and LCD-3 are very different for example and even the LCD-4Z is different enough from the 3 and X to warrant owning all of them (yes I'm a headphone hoarding whore... :laughing:) - been thinking about selling my Arya lately. If you own the Susvara don't buy an Arya IMHO, just buy the new LCD-X 2021 / LCD-3 or Denon D9200 and get something really different but delicious

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #13,255 of 26,709
This is kind of true. I have the Arya V3 and while it does its own thing there are large parts that overlap with the Susvara and those parts the Susvara just pulls ahead. This is very different from the Audeze line where each piece is distinct enough to keep. The LCD-X and LCD-3 are very different for example and even the LCD-4Z is different enough from the 3 and X to warrant owning all of them (yes I'm a headphone hoarding whore... :laughing:) - been thinking about selling my Arya lately. If you own the Susvara don't buy an Arya IMHO, just buy the new LCD-X 2021 / LCD-3 or Denon D9200 and get something really different but delicious

Interesting collection, you've got.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #13,256 of 26,709
So then you no longer "have one week from today to decide which one to keep" if you've already sent back the HEKSE.
My dealer is holding HEkSE for me for 7 days so I can eventually step back to it.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #13,257 of 26,709

HEkSE for sure has better bass punch! It is very hard hitting for HFM HP. Stage-ing is very subjection-al thing, I liked AryaV2 stage-ing more, HEkSE was more up front sounding to me.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #13,260 of 26,709
I just ordered Kinki THR-1, it will be home in 2 days and I will experiment it with the Susvara beginning from the 30 of december. Will leave you my feedback then. And frankly I don't find it so expensive it's under 1'200 mark.

By the way I will be delighted to have your own feedback on your experience ! :)

What I intend to do is feed it with 2 sources:

- Questyle CMA/Twelve Master (which is a DAC/AMP combo)
- Chord Hugo 2

The only thing that bothered me is that it has only unbalanced output.
The XLR4 headphone output is just there to allow you to connect your existing plugs but it is just a plug, the output is not balanced (so is not the XLR input I guess ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back