HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #10,516 of 25,604
@Sajid Amit I'm glad that your back pain is receding. Chronic health issues take a toll. I recently started a graduate level class and am in my 50s. That experiences, while not a PhD program, has been humbling. I am also happy to hear that you've put the Susvaras back into the rotation. Mine arrived on Tuesday. My listening has been almost entirely with Susvaras. I'm still listening with my 2nd string DAC and I only have about 18 hours on the headphones so I'm holding off a bit before writing detailed thoughts. That said, these headphones are a wonderful compliment to the 1266 TCs and I am loving re-discovering some of my favorite music with them.

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #10,517 of 25,604
If their frequency response is same, all transducers move same amount of air(in their own given areas) That impact is just a result of the tuning. Dynamic/Planar headphones usually do not have the treble extension of estats and lack of treble shifts spectral balance towards mids and bass hence we are hearing more information in bass frequencies with such transducers. Flat bass response with elevated treble & mids response doesn't sound same to our ears as flat bass response with recessed mids and treble. The latter would sound more impactful and *dynamic*

Again, if the frequency response of both transducers are same(regardless of their type) they are moving at the same speed in every frequency. If one moves faster while responding to an 11khz signal, that transducer would produce a different frequency. If 2 different(say planar and electrostatic) transducers have flat 11khz response, they all move at the same speed at 11khz. Speed and frequency are tied to each other. If a driver can't accelerate in a certain frequency range, it'd appear as a cancellation area(a dip) in the given frequency range. If it decays faster than it should, It'd appear as a peak in that given frequency range. In conclusion, We can see the time domain information from frequency response too.(Frequency response is actually produced through applying fourier transform to impulse response). Since phase isn't an issue for headphones, time domain = frequency response.

Super thin membranes just help with better treble extension. If a diaphragm has low enough mass, the stiffness of the air surrounding the diaphragm is enough to acoustically dampen the driver. As a result, in higher frequencies, the stiffness of the air surrounding the diaphragm makes the diaphragm behave better and reproduce all those signals with least amount of cancellations and peaks in the frequency domain(ideally). However, if a diaphragm is super thin then that diaphragm would be plagued by its own resonance frequency resulting non linearities in bass or potentially in other parts of the audible band. Headphone designers are continuously attempting to find a sweet spot where the treble extension, bass response and linearity are technically perfect.

Then why do I feel like one transducer moves faster than the other? you might ask. It's the better treble extension. When we hear sounds that happen with higher frequencies more, when our brain isn't struggling to fill the information that is missing in high frequencies(that may happen due to cancellations, peaks in that frequency range), we experience it as a *faster* sound. (same goes for mids too)

Get 009S, tune it with 128 band EQ to the same frequency response target of Audeze LCD4, they'll be as impactful as them. I've tried this with many headphones using oratory's measurements and having the target headphone next to me. The results are mind blowing.
Great post.

Frequency response is a result of the driver technology and intrinsic qualities of the chosen technology. It will dictate to the given FR, frequency extension, transient speed, and so on. I don't think the frequency response is the only reason behind our ears interpreting "speed" in sound, the technology plays a massive part.

Traditional electrodynamic/planar drivers utilize magnetic forces to create sound, electrostats depend on alternating electric charges to push and pull the diaphragm. There is a reason electrostats usually always beat electrodynamic and orthodynamic headphones at distortion, it just the ontology of the driver technology being ultra thin and lean without a dependence on a trace circuit surrounded by an array of magnets (orthos) or coil (dynamic).

All of these facets contribute to the speed and impact of the sound, and the way the sound travels to our ear.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #10,518 of 25,604
Returned to the Susvara today after 3 weeks straight of listening to the Raal SR1a, during which time, I even considered selling the Sus.
Glad you came to your senses... :relaxed:

Aug 14, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #10,519 of 25,604
Returned to the Susvara today after 3 weeks straight of listening to the Raal SR1a, during which time, I even considered selling the Sus.

Work has been hectic the last few days. My backpain is receding, but very slowly. Almost imperceptibly.

I have rejoined my PhD program after a hiatus, so that was a bit stressful, having to deal with timezone issues, and sitting in online classes, at the tender age of 40, whilst managing the various professional responsibilities I have.

I have been cranky to say the least, lol.

In any case, after my morning cup of tea, I put on the Sr1a, and after a few tracks, suddenly didn't like the Sr1a. Thought I needed a break from headphones / music.

After a few hours, I pulled out the Susvara.

The rest was bliss.

What an amazingly natural headphone. Still loving it.
I find that when i listen to one HP too much it becomes kind of blase no matter how good it is....for a while I argued that the abyss TC was simply better than the susvara and then all of a sudden I started to appreciate the susvara....then I got the sr1a and decided it was simply the best but then I put the abyss back on lol and on and on it goes..also my mood influences my choices and how I hear music,sometimes I am simply more open and receptive and hear detail and nuance better or maybe it is just my attention is greater or my mind clearer etc....night time works better to me nd of course a good bourbon always helps lol

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #10,520 of 25,604
I find that when i listen to one HP too much it becomes kind of blase no matter how good it is....for a while I argued that the abyss TC was simply better than the susvara and then all of a sudden I started to appreciate the susvara....then I got the sr1a and decided it was simply the best but then I put the abyss back on lol and on and on it goes..also my mood influences my choices and how I hear music,sometimes I am simply more open and receptive and hear detail and nuance better or maybe it is just my attention is greater or my mind clearer etc....night time works better to me nd of course a good bourbon always helps lol
I have had the same experiences. You know what that means right? You're in TOTL land. Each can has massive pros and few cons, and if you're lucky to own multiple TOTL headphones, they are very complementary to each other.

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #10,521 of 25,604
I have had the same experiences. You know what that means right? You're in TOTL land. Each can has massive pros and few cons, and if you're lucky to own multiple TOTL headphones, they are very complementary to each other.
I agree, they are all so good that when you listen to one it seems like it cant get better until you put on another one lol...and it begins all over again

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #10,522 of 25,604
Okay, so may I ask whether any of you ever get even slightly tempted to listen to mid-fi (or lo-fi) affairs such as the Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Hifiman He-400I on occasion, nowadays? I was/am personally on the verge of confessing how I occasionally use my he-400i (okay, so I said it!) to listen to you tube music directly on my Macbook pro without any DACs or amps, and how that exercise also has its own charms... However, I hesitate out of fear of being charged with blasphemy and heresy, on this thread, and maybe even burnt at the stake :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In my defense, listening to the likes of the He-400i and the Hd 600/650 occasionally helps me to appreciate the Susvaras and the LCD-4s a lot more, apart from keeping me grounded in a way. Okay, no more confessions.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #10,523 of 25,604
Okay, so may I ask whether any of you ever get even slightly tempted to listen to mid-fi (or lo-fi) affairs such as the Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Hifiman He-400I on occasion, nowadays? I was/am personally on the verge of confessing how I occasionally use my he-400i (okay, so I said it!) to listen to you tube music directly on my Macbook pro without any DACs or amps, and how that exercise also has its own charms... However, I hesitate out of fear of being charged with blasphemy and heresy, on this thread, and maybe even burnt at the stake :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In my defense, listening to the likes of the He-400i and the Hd 600/650 occasionally helps me to appreciate the Susvaras and the LCD-4s a lot more, apart from keeping me grounded in a way. Okay, no more confessions.
I actually tried that after a few months of owning my ToTL headphones.

I was extremely disappointed by the mid fi gear when I used it after totls.
So to cherish the memories I sold all thr low to mid-fi stuff.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #10,524 of 25,604

I recently used my vintage orthodynamic Yamaha YH3s to listen to stuff on my laptop. No shame in the game.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #10,525 of 25,604

I listen to my HD6XX quite a bit while in bed, especially if I'm streaming movies, videos, etc. Even with music though, it definitely reminds me of the very real concept of diminishing returns in this hobby.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #10,526 of 25,604
Hi all, have enjoyed this thread for quite a bit, and getting lots of useful information i.e. which amp to power Susvara etc. I just want to share my latest experience after getting the Lazuli Nirvana from Danacables. I started with auditioning the Reference cable about a month ago, and they are very impressive indeed that I lost my marbles a bit and decided to audition the Nirvana.

Currently about 3 days in, and I don’t think these are going back to Dana anymore. There are already several in depth reviews of the cables here on Head-fi, specifically a very detailed one by @Gibson59 and others. So being new to the hobby, I probably woudn’t do it justice trying to describe and compare. To sum up my experience, it adds volume and roundness to music which makes any music you listen to non-fatiguing and natural. Seems to have the same effect as listening to Susvara on a low power amp vs. one that synergise well with Susvara.

So if you’re still chasing the amplifier game for the Susvara after already having owned some of the very good ones recommended here, perhaps it’s the cables that’s need looking at.

Attachments

• _DSC8565.jpg
    _DSC8565.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #10,527 of 25,604

I listen to mid-fi headphones all the time. I owned the HD600's on three different occasions. Sure they won't win out on technical ability, but I there is something to like about. I also owned the HE-400i's when I was first getting into head-fi. I found them to sound fairly decent as well. So I get it :relaxed:

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #10,528 of 25,604

I recently used my vintage orthodynamic Yamaha YH3s to listen to stuff on my laptop. No shame in the game.

My head-fi is partnered with a mid/lo-fi near-field listening set up (Presonus) which I enjoy just as well. And I still prefer Airpods Pro over iems…

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #10,529 of 25,604
Question for any Susvara and Niimbus US4/5 owners.
What Pre-gain do you apply? I was expecting to boost the gain for the Susvara, but found out that I am doing fine at 0dB gain, or 6dB max but definitely not more or the volume knob has to be below 9 o'clock.
Overall I am very happy with the Niimbus US5pro. However I would not recommend it to anyone who has already a decent amp to drive the Susvara, the cost/benefit ratio is not worth the high price tag.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #10,530 of 25,604
Question for any Susvara and Niimbus US4/5 owners.
What Pre-gain do you apply? I was expecting to boost the gain for the Susvara, but found out that I am doing fine at 0dB gain, or 6dB max but definitely not more or the volume knob has to be below 9 o'clock.
Overall I am very happy with the Niimbus US5pro. However I would not recommend it to anyone who has already a decent amp to drive the Susvara, the cost/benefit ratio is not worth the high price tag.

I am driving my US4+ with 6V input gain, having switched back and forth between +12db and +6db. I have settled at +6db, typically listening at 11-12 o’clock on the volume dial.

Regarding your recommendation, I’d say it is heavily depending on the full chain. I went pretty early on to pair the Susvara to the Niimbus and so far all further changes in the chain have been presented very nicely, the amp is clearly transparent and capable. Worth the money is highly subjective at least from my point of view, keeping diminishing returns in mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• vtvu
Back