HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #94 of 25,551
I could just imagine the price if they actually matched the build quality of, let's say, a Utopia or Stax 009.
Don't mention about Utopia build, I know a lot of people bashing it, but I honestly love it and everything about it, even more so on the audio performances. Stax 009 build is pure awesomeness, hold it in your hand and wearing it is like feeling the pride of the team behind it ^_^, and so is Z1R build

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #95 of 25,551
I like the mention of distortion...

This could be either the amp, the song, or the headphones.

They are revealing and will show up distortion in recordings, also some amps cannot drive them and will clip.

Also the treble tilt is not something I have heard, so again it could be equipment mismatch or the nature of the track in question.

And yes they do sometimes squeak, but honestly I don't find any real issues with the build. Yes they may not be built like $6k headphones but any more engineering and they would likely be heavier and uncomfortable.

And I agree they may not necessarily be worth their retail price, but again I'm never going to have the money to buy any headphones like this so I can't really comment on value for money. Only the person that is planning to buy them can say whether they are worth the asking price.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #96 of 25,551
I like the mention of distortion...

This could be either the amp, the song, or the headphones.

They are revealing and will show up distortion in recordings, also some amps cannot drive them and will clip.

Also the treble tilt is not something I have heard, so again it could be equipment mismatch or the nature of the track in question.

And yes they do sometimes squeak, but honestly I don't find any real issues with the build. Yes they may not be built like $6k headphones but any more engineering and they would likely be heavier and uncomfortable.

And I agree they may not necessarily be worth their retail price, but again I'm never going to have the money to buy any headphones like this so I can't really comment on value for money. Only the person that is planning to buy them can say whether they are worth the asking price.

Great points! But....

I had a beautifully powerful vintage amp that was powering them. It powered the He-6 and LCD-XC no problems. The amp was clean, neutral and very powerful that I almost went deaf! No clipping and no other issues. It was the headphone.

It could of been the nature of the track that cause the treble spike and now I forgot what song it was? I think it was Rick James Hollywood or something. owell

You said sometime it squeaks? it squeaked like it was built to squeak to me. 6K for a squeaky headphone. That's not an excuse sorry.

cheers

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #97 of 25,551
Yes I will agree a $6k headphone should not squeak, and the build could be better.

But distortion is likely track induced like the treble tilt you noted.

Did you test that exact part of the song where you heard distortion, on the other headphones?

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #98 of 25,551
I had what I thought was a fault, then thought was the amp clipping on some tracks initially, but after some period of use it has gone away, so I recommend putting some hours on them first.

I've noticed that in China the focus is on sound first, and the fine details are less important, whereas here in Japan, attention to detail and perfect presentation is extremely important. It's a cultural thing. When you buy a pair of 009s, for example, even the outer plastic cover is folded and taped perfectly.

To get people to deliver that degree of perfection requires a huge effort. The last 1% of a product is usually the hardest. I've tried to persuade companies in China to take care of that last 1%, such as making sure the packaging is perfect, but they just aren't interested.

I'm going to post more impressions once some more gear arrives.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #99 of 25,551
"Quote - And here it is boys I heard some distortion in 1 song . such a shame!

Overall, $2900 for the highest for the Susvara that anyone should ever pay or lower
8/10 in rating
Build: 5/10
Bass: 8/10
Treble: 8/10 and a weird distortion? 6K come on hifiman get with the program. And no it dose not sound good to justify 6K. My goodness grace .
Mids: 8/10

Overall sound, 8/10
Not recommended at retail price. For $3000 yes only and maybe! **Cough cough Sr-009

Sorry Hifiman. lower the price please..[/QUOTE]

I heard distortion as well when I first played them at higher levels, turns out it was the amp not putting out enough power so I had to switch output Keys and go Plate - LO-Z which is 2.8W instead of Cathode LO-Z which is 110MW. I have included the output Key chart. Soon as I upped the power the distortion went away.

Woo 234 Output Keys Guide.JPG

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #100 of 25,551
Well then

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #101 of 25,551
Hello all, just to chime in on the Edition 6 Protoss has..... while we dont know where that set has come from, if its got Edition 6 on the band then it is a relativity early pre production prototype. So finish wont be retail ready and if its old enough taht it says Edition 6 then the tuning on it wont be that of the final retail units as the audio was changed at least a couple of time after the Edition 6 name was dropped in favour of Susvara.

So while they look more or less the same as the Susvara, that pair will not be reflective of the final fit and finish of a retail unit nor will its audio output be either.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #102 of 25,551
Now my turn !

I got to listen to this $800 thin metal, squeaky, wobbling, fragile, embarrassing construction Sursvara Aka Edition 6. The complete retail version.

oooooo boy here comes the pain..... (I will repost this at the impression and review section also)

So is this a knock off from the HE1000.

It is such a shame a 6K item borrow every known issue from the He1000.
Did not see any improvements from the construction from this.

Once I pick it up from the table I heard a squeak. I was like wait was that the chair? Nope. Swirl the earcups left and right like a madman and all I heard was squeak, squeak squeak etch.
My god some one get the WD-40 and grease it up!

Was not impress by the built! Saw scratches and tiny marks on the wood. Such a shame. Even thou this was a used pair. But come on 6K? This thing should be bullet proof !

The great things were that it was super light, very comfy. Well most headphones these days are comfy! It better be comfy! and the wires were nothing surprising about them.

Now the main event the sound.

Punchy, detail, clear, warm and tight. Has a mysterious treble increase in some songs I notice!

And here it is boys I heard some distortion in 1 song . such a shame!

Overall, $2900 for the highest for the Susvara that anyone should ever pay or lower
8/10 in rating
Build: 5/10
Bass: 8/10
Treble: 8/10 and a weird distortion? 6K come on hifiman get with the program. And no it dose not sound good to justify 6K. My goodness grace .
Mids: 8/10

Overall sound, 8/10
Not recommended at retail price. For $3000 yes only and maybe! **Cough cough Sr-009

Sorry Hifiman. lower the price please..

SO ARE YOU KIDDING The IQ of Public?

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #105 of 25,551
Would you guys think, new Woo audio flagship amp WA 33 can powering this headphone properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back