HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 7, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #9,886 of 26,706
I seriously thought about purchasing the Trafomatic Primavera over the WA33 before I finally decided on the EF1000 (which I am still awaiting an update from Hifiman when it will finally arrive in the UK).
What made you pick the EF1000 over the Primavera?

The Primavera is such a statement piece.

Although I ask myself if that’s the reason I am considering buying it.

I am totally in love with the dynamic signature of the Accuphase e380 with the TC, the Raal and the Susvara.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #9,887 of 26,706
Have you read this impression? It’s the only one I can find:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trafomatic-primavera-initial-impressions.932900/

I was also intrigued, but since SR1a is now my daily HP and Primavera isn’t a speaker amp, there’s no point in getting one.
Yeah, very nice impressions.

That’s the thing.

For SR1a, and at the same time for TC and the Sus, I have considered the McIntosh MA352, which is far less expensive than the Primavera.

My dealer has one but can’t go audition due to lockdown protocols here.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #9,888 of 26,706

That’s the thing.

For SR1a, and at the same time for TC and the Sus, I have considered the McIntosh MA352, which is far less expensive than the Primavera.

If your aim is to get some tube sound, perhaps adding a tube preamp before your Accuphase could be the solution? I’m thinking of getting a tube preamp for my setup (maybe Primaluna EVO 300 preamp or maybe microZOTL preamp), eventough I’m super happy with Bakoon.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #9,889 of 26,706
If your aim is to get some tube sound, perhaps adding a tube preamp before your Accuphase could be the solution? I’m thinking of getting a tube preamp for my setup (maybe Primaluna EVO 300 preamp or maybe microZOTL preamp), eventough I’m super happy with Bakoon.
That’s worth considering. Thanks.

Honestly, I am super happy with the grunt and dynamic impact of my SS.

I have an EVO 200 btw but I prefer the Susvara, TC, and Raal on SS.

But one still wonders you know.

Maybe I’ll try to audition the McIntosh C22 pre-amp.

Lets see.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #9,890 of 26,706
I commend your patience. I would have given up ages ago... This is no way to deal with a customer paying top dollar. Or top pound in this case..
Thank you MatW

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #9,891 of 26,706
What made you pick the EF1000 over the Primavera?

The Primavera is such a statement piece.

Although I ask myself if that’s the reason I am considering buying it.

I am totally in love with the dynamic signature of the Accuphase e380 with the TC, the Raal and the Susvara.
Hi Sajid, I decided on the Hifiman EF1000 (mainly due to liking the Susvara's so much) over the Trafo Prima as the EF1000 has been designed and built as the official Amp for the Susvara and can also power speakers.
So am hoping the Susvara's should sound definitely their best with the EF1000.
Also the form factor of the EF1000 is currently better for me in my UK base.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #9,892 of 26,706
Hi Sajid, I decided on the Hifiman EF1000 (mainly due to liking the Susvara's so much) over the Trafo Prima as the EF1000 has been designed and built as the official Amp for the Susvara and can also power speakers.
So am hoping the Susvara's should sound definitely their best with the EF1000.
Also the form factor of the EF1000 is currently better for me in my UK base.
👍🏻

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #9,893 of 26,706
Both preamp options seem like excellent units.
If you add one please share the impressions in conjunction with your Bakoon.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #9,894 of 26,706

That’s the thing.

Does your dealer have the McIntosh or the Primavera?

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #9,896 of 26,706
Wow. 300B from Feliks.

I was eyeing the Primavera Trafomatic.

Encouraged by none other then @paradoxper.

Has anyone else heard the Primavera?

I have. I put a mini review back somewhere with the other amps I've listened to. It's pretty much one of the best amps I've ever heard, period. Most definitely the best headphone tube amp I've heard. I'd buy it if I could afford it...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #9,897 of 26,706
I have. I put a mini review back somewhere with the other amps I've listened to. It's pretty much one of the best amps I've ever heard, period. Most definitely the best headphone tube amp I've heard. I'd buy it if I could afford it...
Impressions please...

As detailed as possible...🙂🙏🏻

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #9,898 of 26,706
Impressions please...

As detailed as possible...🙂🙏🏻

• Trafomatic Primavera - One of the most versatile and most balanced sounding tube amps I've ever heard, period. This amp seemed to drive the Susvara with ease. It is incredibly holographic and generates the proper amount of space between each instrument and vocal to make it sound natural and convincing. Almost no grain to the music and is mostly neutral sounding with extremely smooth mids and treble. The bass is tight and does not have excess boom or emphasis. (I believe this was with stock tubes as I did not roll tubes on this)
To kind of add to this (most of this is from memory but I do remember the key elements I recognized while listening to this amp), the primavera has the best presentation of depth that I've heard in an amp so far. When you combine its ability to render depth and space between instruments, you basically get insane imaging. The primavera isn't really a super "tubey" sounding tube amp which I actually like because it doesn't sound grainy or have excessive bloom in the bass. Bass layering is crazy, you can hear every detail in the low frequency with ease.

I don't know what other details you might be interested in but let me know and I'll see if I can answer it. Honestly though, it's really an end game amp and because it's so versatile with impedance matching, gain, etc., you can truly call it quits after this one.

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #9,899 of 26,706
  • Trafomatic Primavera - One of the most versatile and most balanced sounding tube amps I've ever heard, period. This amp seemed to drive the Susvara with ease. It is incredibly holographic and generates the proper amount of space between each instrument and vocal to make it sound natural and convincing. Almost no grain to the music and is mostly neutral sounding with extremely smooth mids and treble. The bass is tight and does not have excess boom or emphasis. (I believe this was with stock tubes as I did not roll tubes on this)
To kind of add to this (most of this is from memory but I do remember the key elements I recognized while listening to this amp), the primavera has the best presentation of depth that I've heard in an amp so far. When you combine its ability to render depth and space between instruments, you basically get insane imaging. The primavera isn't really a super "tubey" sounding tube amp which I actually like because it doesn't sound grainy or have excessive bloom in the bass. Bass layering is crazy, you can hear every detail in the low frequency with ease.

I don't know what other details you might be interested in but let me know and I'll see if I can answer it. Honestly though, it's really an end game amp and because it's so versatile with impedance matching, gain, etc., you can truly call it quits after this one.
This is helpful my friend.

The TC on my SS speaker amp hits so hard, and when I A/B with some tube amps (including a couple of Woo amps), that sense of dynamic punch as well as bass definition are compromised a tad. I have come around the TC sound sig in a big way, and definitely don’t want a tube sweetening up its mids or making it’s treble any friendlier than it is. That, for me, is not the point of the TC.

I get the feeling that my SS grabs the TC by its drivers and has absolute mastery of its bass.

I also don’t want a significant coloration of either the Susvara or the TC sound.

But your description of how the Primavera projects space is interesting. That way of rendering space is what makes tube amps interesting in the first place.

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #9,900 of 26,706
I get the feeling that my SS grabs the TC by its drivers and has absolute mastery of its bass.
Interesting you would say this, I swapped to my OG Liquid Gold for the TC and I think I prefer it over the WA33 for that headphone.
And I feel the exact opposite about the Susvara.
But I'm still really just listening and I could well change my mind again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back